An "Entreat-version" of The Dream?

Started by fiction, January 02, 2009, 12:34:31

Previous topic - Next topic

fiction

I don´t collect shows anymore (gave that up 2002) but I guess that most of You still are in the business of getting and sharing shows from different venues. I have heard most of the songs from The Dream live but I don´t have any one of them as any kind of musicfiles. And I don´t like the outcome of the studioversion of The Dream based on the poor mixing.

But, as I said before, I do think that the better part of the songs sounds great so what I am about to implement here is that You guys with some good shows put together an "Entreat-version" of the Dream as a shareware. I´ve put some effort on a front cover, should this work out well but I haven´t made the tray yet since I don´t know which songs You´ll might put in.

It´s just an idea and it might be a poor one since I don´t have anything to contribute with apart from the artwork, should You like it.
again and again and again and again and again and...

tigermilk

Fiction, did you listen to any shows from 2004, there's a few really good ones such as Toronto, one of my most loved shows from The Cure ever!

As far as entreat style CD, it's a very good idea. I suppose the Rome versions would be the best quality, although Roberts voice isn't the best that night. The New York and Charlotte shows have some good performaces too, and some of the latest television performances. I think that they should have never gone ahead with that crappy Hypnogogic (spelling?) States EP, and instead put out another Entreat style of CD with live recordings. That would have been a much better idea!

I have always thought that the deluxe editions should have been a 3 disc set. Just imagine this,
1-the original remastered disc,
2-studio outakes, demos, and previously unrealeased tracks,
3-the best live recordings compiled in the same order of the album.

fiction

Quote from: tigermilk on January 02, 2009, 12:42:48
Fiction, did you listen to any shows from 2004, there's a few really good ones such as Toronto, one of my most loved shows from The Cure ever!

No sorry to say I don´t think that i´ll ever did. I do have seen some shows later than 2002 but they have been of even fresher dates. I´ve heard that the Toronto show should be great though so I guess You´ll have a valid item there. My favorite show goes back to the 80´s and is the show at Ontario Theater in Washington 1984. I also care very much for the show in Nakano Sun Plaza in Tokyo just a month earlier.

Yeah, DeLuxe editions with three discs would have made the trick. Aspecially since they are nurturing of that idea anyway with a mixing of demoes and live-songs. And there should be no problem to find many great live songs. Maybe the production cost in terms of pressing and packaging the product was exceeding, I don´t know.

tigermilk

Quote from: fiction on January 02, 2009, 13:00:33

My favorite show goes back to the 80´s and is the show at Ontario Theater in Washington 1984. I also care very much for the show in Nakano Sun Plaza in Tokyo just a month earlier.

Oh yes, I love the '84 Washington show. Fantastic quality too. Explosive versions of Shake Dog Shake, M, Charlotte Sometimes, One Hundred Years, Cold (a slow and sinister version), in fact every song from this show was great and the band was sounding really tight! And the version of Forever is brilliant.

japanesebaby

Quote from: fiction on January 02, 2009, 12:34:31
And I don´t like the outcome of the studioversion of The Dream based on the poor mixing.
hey who does?

well, it's just too bad that they haven't played so many of the new songs live (yet?) - apart from the roma concert. so there really is no great array of alternative sources that one could use, in order to put together a compilation...
robert's voice wasn't in the very best condition in the roma concert (too bad), but i'd still say your best option here is simply to get yourself a copy of that roma concert/tv broadcast. there are many dvd versions available. *)
it beats the official studio release 6-0 anyway.

for those songs which they've played live many times (mostly the 4:13 singles only, unofrtunately), i do have some personal favorites from certain gigs/dates (although i can't name the best version for 'freakshow' because every performance of that song is just pretty useless imo :-P). yet i personally like to listen to complete shows, instead of compilations with one track from this and one tracks from that show. just my personal preference.

*) now i can't remember if the audio of the original was compressed(?) - i guess it was, just like most digital tv is these days, unofrtunately. that means there's no use putting together cd from it, by ripping the audio from the broadcast. i don't know if anyone has lossless soundboard source(?).
but anyway, i'm glad they played the whole album live in rome, otherwise much of the new stuff would only be available on that unlistenably bad studio release.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

fiction

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 02, 2009, 14:44:01
well, it's just too bad that they haven't played so many of the new songs live (yet?) - apart from the roma concert. so there really is no great array of alternative sources that one could use, in order to put together a compilation...
robert's voice wasn't in the very best condition in the roma concert (too bad), but i'd still say your best option here is simply to get yourself a copy of that roma concert/tv broadcast. there are many dvd versions available. *)
it beats the official studio release 6-0 anyway.

Well, at last I got my hands and ears to the Roma MTV, Coca Cola concert and I must thank You for the tip. As You said Mr Smiths voice ain´t at its peak but, and You pinpointed that to, it beats the original release with 6 - (easy) 0 a hundred timas out of a hundred.

I will make a nice cover and post it in the gallery.

fiction

Quote from: fiction on January 15, 2009, 22:33:18
I will make a nice cover and post it in the gallery.

And now it´s there. If anyone else has ripped the 13 songs included on The Dream from the Roma concert, there is a proposed cover to download for anyone who finds it aproprate from "Gallery".