2008.12.19 "RS: I can't see a long future for The Cure", World Cafe, WXPN-FM, US

Started by dsanchez, December 25, 2008, 16:46:23

Previous topic - Next topic

rubcure

Quote from: harrold on January 19, 2009, 10:48:29
I've checked the interview and Robert says exactly "I can't see a VERY long future for The Cure..."
Thank God, that's different!  :)

Phew!!! :smth005 Yeah, a little bit!
[center][size=10pt][font=arial][color=black]"...and the way the rain comes down hard is how i feel inside..."[/color][/font][/size][/center]

angel

...all is possible...all begin all end...but their music is alive in our hearts... :)

with hope
...nothing would ever be the same again...

Ulrich

Robert said this many times before. (Last time I really believed it was around "Bloodflowers", the one time before was with "Disintegration" and back then it really made me sad...)
I don't see no reason to bring us down about your suicide.  ;)
In other words: don't go running for the razor blades!
First of all, he said this during the tour (in May). (And he often uses this to bring the band to deliver their best, as it might be the last time.)
There's plans for a "dark album" maybe and a DVD possibly.
If The Cure really should stop sometime in the future, I see it as very likely that Robert will do solo stuff. He's never stopped writing stuff and I can't see him doing so. (Even if it were a soundtrack to a Tim Burton movie, I'd think it would be very interesting.)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

harrold

Let the Prophet say through your words! :) I start to calm down...  :)
Anyway, I guess The Cure has always been Robert's solo carrier...  :roll:

...this dream NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER ends....  :)

Quote from: Ulrich on January 21, 2009, 13:41:46
If The Cure really should stop sometime in the future, I see it as very likely that Robert will do solo stuff. He's never stopped writing stuff and I can't see him doing so. (Even if it were a soundtrack to a Tim Burton movie, I'd think it would be very interesting.)
"...the kiss is dry and it's not the same you... "

chipdandy

as much as i love them i never want them to get to the point where they are forcing their music..i wasn't a huge fan of self titled or 4:13 but how could i hate those albums? i simply cant. but i thought bloodflowers was the end. The lyrics alone was pretty much saying that. Although i cant complain, if they hadnt came back around and made self titled and did a tour, i never would have seen them live...

In the pit.

dallas.

Best night of my life..

Until my daughter was born.

At only 10 months she hops and flails her arms when she hears mint car.

haha

pyota

Quote from: boo on December 29, 2008, 12:20:40
quite a few bands made the mistake to carry on after they past their sell-by date and lost their dignity.... Robert won't make the same mistake and i admire him for that... as hard as it's going to be ....

many would argue they past their sell by more than 10 years ago. as for the cure disbanding, i don't have a problem with it. they've been going for 30 years and the end is always inevitable. we'll always have the music and thats the most important thing. they've always been a hard working band in terms of concerts, playing all over the world so most people who wanted to see them have had several chances. i just wish they would end with a better album than the last one (or the one before that).

fiction

Quote from: chipdandy on January 22, 2009, 11:42:41
At only 10 months she hops and flails her arms when she hears mint car.
haha

I remember the same thing about the 12" of High. My son always wanted me to play "fiskens öga" (that´s swedish for "The eye of the fish") as he said. He found his way to describe the cover so that I would know what to play.
again and again and again and again and again and...

Fabien G

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :smth011 :? :cry: :smth088 :smth085 :smth009 :smth022 :smth089

Robert said in 1987 in a long and good interview of R&F (biggest french music mag) he would stop after KMKMKM because he was soon going to turn 30 and couldn't imagine doing this much longer!!!
Fortunately, they didn't stop and two years later...  :-D

But he said that again after that masterpiece of 1989, it was real close that the band would end after Porl and Boris and even Simon left in 1993-94, it was some sort of a happy surprise that he came back with Bloodflowers, but said it was his swan song, it could have end again with The Cure (end of contract as well)...
There have been many signals that the life of the band was threaten. And obviously the more we go... the closer it gets, unfortunately.  :cry:

They have a three records deal so I believe he will fullfill it, even though he's not happy with the label, hence the records split into two parts - that's no good for us, as it's a quicker way to have wo records out of the way! Although, i believe he wants to finish the deluxe reeditions of the back catalogue, I wouldn't be surprise if he finally decides to release a few dvd or compilation or live album or anything more, and there's the third album to make. so let's leave them another 5 years.

And indeed, As Roger said once in an interview, Robert loves it so much, he will never stop. there's this solo album to look forward to, maybe film music... But that will never be The Cure! (Personnaly I'm not found of solo works, side projects... it's good but... sit's something good but something is different, omething missing, it's just not the same. I love The Cure, the band The Cure)

But time flies guys, so if you have never seen them live before and/or are playing at a venue near you, I guess you'd be well advised to catch them while you can!

Quote from: crowbi_wan on January 04, 2009, 20:57:48
They're going to put out the dark album (in 2010 from what I've heard)
Where did you get that information? Phew, thanks, thus we know at least they're still going to be around next year!  :D

chipdandy

Is the "dark album" supposed to be the other part of the apparent "double disc" they were making? Because,i watched an interview with robert just a few days ago...
he said that they are releasing the double disc in the forms of bsides from those singles that came out like "the only one" and so on and so forth...soooo...if they are going to make a dark album its going to be a whole new thing altogether..which makes me very happy...i just dont like 4:13 or self titled...i remember a time when i said wild mood swings is the worst cure album...and now that cd sounds great and fresh compared to the last two...

So, if there is a new dark album i really hope it sounds nothing like anything from their recent catalog...

I have noticed recently they have been playing "the big hand" man oh man i would LOVE to see that played live...guess only in a perfect world they would play " chain of flowers"

Fabien G

Fabien G

ho, very nice, lots of informations in there!

thanks chipdandy,

so, as far as I understand:

- ITW: "about "a boy i never knew', and some of the songs that were menioned in itws and stuff, as being recorded in the last album's session, and they didn't make the album, Ross Robinson talked very highly about some of those songs, are they gonna come out in that form (b-sides)  or are they gonnay come out in a new form, on the next album, or...?"
- RS: "'a boy i never knew', recorded as a fieve piece with Ross Robinson, was tried as well with the 'new' four piece band  "They're very different. Actually, we did do a version of 'a boy i never knew' in the last album session. It just wasnt right. Everyone raved about it, but I didn't. I thought it was a terrible version. I just put it to one side, and, (to see if/decide ?) ...at some point will come out. It just didn't suit...(...)

"There's one other song that we did in the last album's session that we kind of re-interpreted completly, but we wouldn't use the recording that we did with Ross with the fieve piece band with the new album, it'd have been a bit bizarre.  There's still a couple of unreleased songs in the last album on top of those two as well, so, I'm sure at some point they'll (...?) 
- ITW: "b-sides?"
- RS: "Probably, we're doing this 30th anniversary dvd at the moment with, er, with Tim Pope, and that's schedulded for next year release, so i imagine something from the last's session unreleased will get on to that"

- ITW: "The Join The Dots colletion was kind of like a dream release" (...)
- RS: "with this singles release that we're doing every 13th of the month, it's going back to the days we were very well  known actually over a long period, as you said, for releasing b-sides that became people's favourites songs..; And I.. I've quite... rescucitated that idea for these new signles, I think each b-sides is actually, compliments the a-sides, and they're really good..; There may well be a couple of ...I mean people are definitly saying of the next b-sides "why...why on earth  isn't that on the album?"... Hum.. the band's saying why isn't it on the album?! so...
- ITW: "that's the greatest compliment!"
- RS: "Yeah! I.. i think..; 'cause my intention was always a double album, and I've kind of had to resign myself to a single album release, why I'm doing this is actually by default realeasing the double album, this is (b-sides ?)...
- ITW: "That's great! Brilliant move"
- RS: "They're, they've tweaked actually, the label last week, I got (?...), "We know what you're doing, just realize this"...

- ITW: What abour RS going solo?
- RS: "Well.. er.. I'm... After we've finished this, and the album comes out, hum... I'm doing the next lot of remasters, this is the first thing i've got to do, for 'Disintegration, 'wish', and 'Mixed Up', and there's gonna be another 'Mixed Up' album, so I'm doing the extra discs for those, and,... 'Disintegration' is really good actually, I've started doing it and I'm really... and there's gonna be, and there was a whole show filmed for 'disintegration', i've just found, tha's never been... shown.
- ITW: "Is it the wembley one?"
- RS: "No, it's Texas's Stadium"
- ITW: "The wembley show should really come out!"
- RS: "Yeah, there's quite a lot of stuff I mean there's too much of stuff, I mean it will come out, all of them I'm sure will come out, it's, it's a question of...make it kind of appealing. In the current time, it is very (hard?) to kinf of sell a box-set of 16 hours of The Cure Live! And it's like ..."
- ITW: "you can seel it to me!"
- RS: "yeah..; I think at some point as the... when broadband and downloading becomes kind of like, everyone kind do it, I mean there's an awful lot of Cure fans around the world they don't have access to high-speed internet connection, and I've always seen as a bit unfair.. you know like with these singles coming out actually as 7 inch vinyls singles  as well as cd singles because... it's just like dwonloads, it's a little.. it's assuming everyone lives in the western world that they... enjoy your music, (we've got to a lot of places where...?) and it's a really big deal... so this... this putting all the stuff and bringing out a cd, i know there will, these will be the lasts cs we releaze as a band, and post to that, and post to dvd  and anniversary, that's when I'm gonna do my solo album,... So that's next summer actually I've got a plan to go away somewhere, and just do it in a month... The songs have been there for years actually,and I... but... wether or not I still like them... I haven't listened to them for a long time."

So there's a least
- the 'dark album',
- the Disintegration, Wish, Mixed up deluxe remasters
- another Mixed Up kind of record
- the 30th anniversary dvd
- Texas Stadium 1989 dvd
(and there should be another album one year, as they have a three cd deal)

and maybe
- another b-sides & rarities compilation
- more live dvds

now, don't tell me there are not a few things to look forward to!

(but yes, end is near!)

love_cat

Quote from: M on December 28, 2008, 16:02:09
I haven't seen them live yet

:smth088 :smth087

me toooo!!

so I am not the only one ;/

keep on believing, they cannot rest until they play for us both ;)

musiclovr89