2008.12.19 "RS: I can't see a long future for The Cure", World Cafe, WXPN-FM, US

Started by dsanchez, December 25, 2008, 16:46:23

Previous topic - Next topic

donnymarco

When i started listen to the cure back 1986 there where always rumors they stop. After releasing Disintegration Robert told: "this is the last album". We al know what happened after that... :lol:

So i really dont think he means it.

Off-topic: i would be great if Boris came back...!

Carnage Visors: are you kidding? what about "Achtung Baby" "POP" and ofcourse "the Joshua three" that are not good albums? Even if you dont like U2 you can hear that there are some very good songs on it!

thiboe

Robert is talking about quitting since 30 Years. He loves playing live, so they will never really quit, you will see :!:

lockjaw

no long future.. why???

The Rolling Stones: Mick Jagger will be 67 next year and they planning release an album and to go on tour in 2010..
Motorhead: Lemmy is 64 and a new album and tour in 2010..
U2: Bono is just one year younger as Robert and they fixed tour dates until october 2010 and i'm sure that not this was their last record..
Sisters Of Mercy: Andrew is the same old as Robert and they touring the world every year..
Duran Duran: Simon leBon will be 52 next year and a new album will come out..
Leonard Cohen is already 75 and he did a fantastic tour in this year..
and i'm sure that Bowie will do something in the near future too..

these are just a few examples but why do Robert stop making music now?? he just can't..maybe the concerts will be shorter than three hours and the tours will be smaller but i can see a long future for The Cure.
..lost forever in a happy crowd..

ofthedeepgreensea

i, too, am starting to begin to believe it.  but the more i think about it, i don't think they're QUITE done yet.  i mean, robert definitely has not made as big a deal about the end as say, after bloodflowers.  i don't know if there's another album or not.  but i think there are still another two or three years at least of them existing, hopefully a little touring and whatnot.  they're not gonna be around in 2020, i think that's fairly obvious.  but i just don't, at heart, think robert is quite ready to give it up.
"it's just the way i smile," you said..

skellington

I just discovered the Cure and have not stopped listening to them ever since. My mom used to play a couple of their songs on her mix tapes when I was little and I had no idea! Now that I know, I wished I had started listening to their wonderul music earlier...especially since I just missed there latest tour, and now this news of them quiting is making me very sad. I am not that old so I haven't had much time to go see their concerts. I really hope they don't stop touring because I need to see them live! Robert Smith is the coolest, sigh :lol:
Its Just Like a Dream...:)

ofthedeepgreensea

Quote from: skellington on January 05, 2010, 00:14:32
I just discovered the Cure and have not stopped listening to them ever since. My mom used to play a couple of their songs on her mix tapes when I was little and I had no idea! Now that I know, I wished I had started listening to their wonderul music earlier...especially since I just missed there latest tour, and now this news of them quiting is making me very sad. I am not that old so I haven't had much time to go see their concerts. I really hope they don't stop touring because I need to see them live! Robert Smith is the coolest, sigh :lol:

there's still hope.  they've got a few more years in them, i think.

japanesebaby

Quote from: ofthedeepgreensea on January 05, 2010, 00:21:11

yeah, let's hope so. i wouldn't mind finding myself in a cure show again either, never had boring time in a cure show. ;)
welcome and wish you nice moments with the cure - the bright side of falling in love with a band that's been going on a long time is that there's such a huge back catalogue to delve into. :smth023
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

ofthedeepgreensea

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 05, 2010, 00:28:42
Quote from: ofthedeepgreensea on January 05, 2010, 00:21:11

yeah, let's hope so. i wouldn't mind finding myself in a cure show again either, never had boring time in a cure show. ;)
welcome and wish you nice moments with the cure - the bright side of falling in love with a band that's been going on a long time is that there's such a huge back catalogue to delve into. :smth023

agreed.  i became a fan in '04 or so, and i had a fabulous time discovering "new" songs for weeks and weeks.

skellington

I am so glad I found this cite/forum. It is a comfort to know that I am not alone in desperately awaiting some Cure action. Their music effects me so deeply and it would be such a disapointment not to see them (especially Robert) in person. Every year the band gains new fans (me for example) so I think if people still want to experience the music and the band itself, than there is a reason to keep it going. Not to say that they should work till they drop, but rather to  keep the sprit of the Cure alive.
Its Just Like a Dream...:)

ofthedeepgreensea

well, according to the latest thecure.com update, it seems that there could still be some dark album stuff in the works.  though i'm not too optimistic on the matter.

though i love when robert updates; it let's me know they still exist :)

RottingApples

It sounds like there's two albums in the works: the Dark Album, and a separate "Itunes Exclusive" record. 

lostflower4

Quote from: RottingApples on January 15, 2010, 10:41:02a separate "Itunes Exclusive" record.

:roll:

Why is iTunes so damn popular?  What a mess of a program/service.  :twisted:

Lucky_Cure

Already two albums is process? Like another studio album? Luckily I have an iPod and iTunes.  :twisted:

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on January 15, 2010, 11:46:33
Quote from: RottingApples on January 15, 2010, 10:41:02a separate "Itunes Exclusive" record.

:roll:

Why is iTunes so damn popular?  What a mess of a program/service.  :twisted:

well, my first thought when i read that "iTunes Exclusive" was that ""great", more stuff available in crappy mp3s only, possibly even with some errors (like happened with the 4 re-recorded tracks distributed by iTunes UK in 2006  :roll:).
whatever it is, i'm not going to pay a cent for it. why not release stuff properly? i'm not against downloads only kind of releases at ll, but why not make it available in lossless too and especially not exclusively via iTunes?
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

mimieuxx

Hoping it's a false alarm, just like the other times. Please please please. I felt really bad reading this.