Jason Cooper - A study of his style

Started by DrumStudy, August 08, 2008, 05:16:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is your favourite The Cure drummer?

patitodark

Quote from: Ulrich on January 07, 2015, 13:18:59
"... has more to do with Marina & the Diamonds thinking that his drumming would fit for their album..."

Sure! his drumming is more for Marina than for The Cure.

The Cure should do a bit more in the recording studio, maybe then those members wouldn't have time for many side projects...  :roll:

That is something most of us want!... but maybe some members should stay at home focusing on improving his performance with the band.

patitodark

Quote from: Ulrich on September 19, 2014, 10:15:19
yes the sound level onstage will be dictated by them. Always been like this, you do know a little bit about music, don't you? I knew this and wouldn't need a Robert interview to learn about this. Go out a bit and watch bands play, then you'll know how things work.

Hahaha sorry but I can't help but laugh...  :lol:
No comments Mr. Know-it-all  ;)

dsanchez

Quote from: patitodark on January 08, 2015, 18:06:06
Quote from: Ulrich on September 19, 2014, 10:15:19
yes the sound level onstage will be dictated by them. Always been like this, you do know a little bit about music, don't you? I knew this and wouldn't need a Robert interview to learn about this. Go out a bit and watch bands play, then you'll know how things work.
Hahaha sorry but I can't help but laugh...  :lol:
No comments Mr. Know-it-all  ;)
@patitodark, take it easy ;)

To be objective, @Ulrich is right in this. In the video you mentioned earlier, Robert was not communicating with Jason but rather with the soundman located in the other side of stage (on Roger's left side). He is asking him to turn up the volume. This video of "Lovecats" provides another view where this can be seen better (00:20 and 00:29):

The Cure - The Love Cats - Royal Albert Hall London November 15th, 2011
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

You never know. When anything like that happened (e.g. Porl & Boris leaving, Roger & Perry sacked) in the past, it always was totally unexpected to me.  :o
If that unlikely event would happen, who would you call as replacement? (supposing Boris would be unable to do it). If anyone want to answer to this one, better do it in this topic.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on January 08, 2015, 18:26:06
To be objective, @Ulrich is right in this. In the video you mentioned earlier, Robert was not communicating with Jason but rather with the soundman located in the other side of stage (on Roger's left side). He is asking him to turn up the volume.

Thank you. For one time only, I was right.  :lol:

It is the "curse" of this thread, that each and every video/audio seems to be viewed with only Jason in mind, completely forgetting any other possibilites (roadies, soundmen etc.)!  :(
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

omar

yes I think that Robert did that gesture due to he couldnĀ“t hear the drum  at the moment the piano (synth..) started to play the classical melody of the song , the drum is so important to take the rhythm when you play a song ...live) 

who is patitodark lol :)

patitodark

Well, not exactly a birthday present but let us realize how essential Boris' been to The Cure.

[Edit: please note this post has been moved from another topic - nothing to do with Boris' birthday.]

This sounds like most live videos of JLH, but here it is recorded in studio by Jason.

According to the description:

"During the rehearsals for the summer festivals in 2012, Jason Cooper from The Cure came to Snap Studios to rehearse the 30 something songs that the band played on those days.

In one of the conversations with one of our engineers, Cooper talked about Just Like Heaven and how he felt that the drums were a little off and that he probably had a better idea for it.

So Cure fans, here you have the mega hit Just Like Heaven played by Jason Toop Cooper. Enjoy!

(The recording made directly from the mixing board)
"

Personally I hate this kind of playing and if he was the drummer during 1985-1992, I strongly believe The Cure wouldn't be a success as it was during those years.

https://youtu.be/sut8Vn0XdOU

cheyler

'Golden Hair' is Syd setting a James Joyce poem to music.  Good stuff.

dsanchez

Quote from: dmscheuer on September 24, 2014, 07:01:39
With live performances, he has an obnoxious love affair with hitting crash cymbals where it is not appropriate.
like in "Strange Day". The LONELY guitar solo is the essential part of this song and now cymbals are added on top of it. Why? I don't know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew91Vbyyj2Y

notice the difference in 1991

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7X1PuYlgEE
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

cheyler

You're right about the crash cymbals, I don't understand it either.  What really strikes me when listening to or watching the first shows of the tour is how Reeves' heavy-handed approach has been reined in a bit.  Whatever they did over the last year and a half to better integrate Reeves' playing into the overall sound has really paid off.  They're really sounding like The Cure again, and they've regained a bit of their seriousness and are playing some of the darker material at long last.  I have to just forget about everything from the summer festivals in 2012 until 2014's Christmas shows.  A 'happy' Cure doesn't work for me.  Makes me even more disappointed about being unable to get tickets for any of the three shows they're playing up here in this corner of the U.S.A.  Looks like there might be a next time though...

patitodark

Quote from: dsanchez on May 22, 2016, 20:57:50
like in "Strange Day". The LONELY guitar solo is the essential part of this song and now cymbals are added on top of it. Why? I don't know:

It seems that the extra cymbals at the beginning of ALL songs and in places when cymbals are not supposed to be played (like in Strange Day), is because Jason has to let the other guys know where the click (of the metronome) is. In this way his added tambourines, extra percussion sounds and what not, are in time with his -robotic- playing.

Jason even plays cymbals at the beginning of THE EXPLODING BOY! and it seems that there are no added percussion sounds for it. But I should be wrong as I know Jason loves to have extra help with pre-recorded stuff.

Have you notice how he adds a crash cymbal during the chorus of This Twilight garden?????
I immediately went to hear the original one and of course, Boris never ever played that extra cymbal that sounds out of rhythm.

Why Jason always does something to ruin the songs????

Ulrich

In my humble opinion, a good song is a good song and can only be "ruined" by a drummer if he/she would play completely the wrong rhythm! I didn't have the feeling that any songs were "ruined" at the Cure concerts I went to (and if I'd had that feeling, I certainly wouldn't go to any more)...

patitodark

Spoil? harm? damage? hurt?

A night like this and All I want are two more songs with extra hi-hats and cymbals in the intro.

cheyler

Obviously you're right about all the added percussion, I guess it just doesn't bother me all that much.  I've always thought Jason was good, if a bit heavy-handed at times.  As I've said, I'd dearly love to take that crash cymbal and sink it somewhere deep...but he'd probably just buy another one.  On a side note, I'm fascinated that I was docked a karma point for saying something nice about the band.  Maybe it was just in the wrong place?  In which case I'm about to be docked another...  If you want to see two almost 'heroic' (I hate that word) performances by Jason, one is 'Out Of This World' with the brushes on 'Trilogy' and 'Never Enough' on 'Paris 2008'.

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on May 26, 2016, 02:24:10
On a side note, I'm fascinated that I was docked a karma point for saying something nice about the band.

Interesting. I've never been able to find out from which posts "karma points" came or went. How did you? (From what I gathered, it might be from an older post as well as a newer one?)  :?