Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

word_on_a_wing

Quote from: Ulrich on May 03, 2021, 17:19:38
Quote from: word_on_a_wing on May 02, 2021, 15:11:42I've been listening to a lot of Sharon Van Etten over the last few months

Cool, I don't know many of her albums, but I listened to this not long ago:

Yeah that one is quite good too. On that album I particularly love this track:

Also, I was stunned when I realized she played Rachel in the OA !🤯  I had watched the OA before I knew who she was and now my brain hasn't caught up
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

Ulrich

@woaw: I didn't know about the OA, but first time I saw her was on Twin Peaks in 2017 (performing "Tarifa").

Quote from: SueC on May 04, 2021, 14:29:38Where was this in 2003 when I was marching in Sydney with so many fellow citizens?  ...ah, not released yet!

Well, the original (acoustic) version was indeed released in 2003 as a free download from his website (I think number of downloads reached the 10 000 mark)!

Quote from: SueC on May 04, 2021, 14:29:38has he done this one with DTH?

No, but there was a new studio version on his "Misinformation Overload" album. (DTH drummer Vom Ritchie played on it.)

The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Oneiroman

@Ulrich Looking back over a few pages of this strand I see you have the Nuggets boxset.  So do I.  I love '60s psych and garage - the trashier the better.  One of my favourites, not on that boxset, is Teddy and His Patches' "Suzy Creamcheese":   https://youtu.be/YLAqNFvLGz0

Of course Creamcheese was originally a character dreamt up by Frank Zappa.  According to Wikipedia in a 1974 interview Zappa stated:

"Suzy Creamcheese was a girl named Jeanne Vassoir. And she is the voice that's on the Freak Out album. The myth of Suzy Creamcheese, the letter on the album, I wrote myself. There never really was a Suzy Creamcheese. It was just a figment of my imagination until people started identifying with it heavily. It got to weird proportions in Europe, so that in 1967, when we did our first tour of Europe, people were asking if Suzy Creamcheese was along with us. So I procured the services of another girl named Pamela Zarubica, who was hired to be the Suzy Creamcheese of the European tour. And then she maintained the reputation of being Suzy Creamcheese after 1967. The first one went someplace, we don't know where."

DJ Mike Lennox told a story about another Suzy Creamcheese and fellow DJ John Peel, as quoted in Rob Chapman's book Selling the Sixties:

"John Peel told me an interesting thing. There's a woman called Suzi Creamcheese, who is an American I believe who believes in this flower power. John Peel was in hospital and all of a sudden this character Creamcheese came into the hospital wearing all white robes, danced around the hospital bed throwing sweet peas at John and then danced out again. I guess that was supposed to cure him and make him feel much better. And he said it did. But I've yet to believe in that sort of thing. I really don't believe in it."

Ulrich

A touching tribute to Dave Greenfield by his bandmates:

Quote from: Oneiroman on May 04, 2021, 17:54:33@Ulrich Looking back over a few pages of this strand I see you have the Nuggets boxset.  So do I.  I love '60s psych and garage - the trashier the better.  One of my favourites, not on that boxset, is Teddy and His Patches' "Suzy Creamcheese"

Thanks for the link, that is indeed a fine example of 60s psych/garage rock!
Funny stories about S. Creamcheese too!  :lol:

MeltingMan

You're simply not into pink, my dear  ;)

En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

MeltingMan

Ulrich

"I'm gonna stay in bed all day... I'm not gonna hear a word you say..."

Oneiroman

@Ulrich By pure chance I was watching a video on YouTube and guess who turned up (at 23:26): https://youtu.be/kOC13xE9gwE

I love the mod's reaction to the whole event as well.

While I'm here this is another of my favourites from the late '60s: https://youtu.be/7HTOmW-fJ_4 - Silver Apples 'Oscillations'.

MeltingMan

Photo: Brian Griffin

Ulrich

Quote from: Oneiroman on May 07, 2021, 14:00:16By pure chance I was watching a video on YouTube and guess who turned up (at 23:26)

Ha ha, so she does exist (well I assume the girl's real name was not Creamcheese)!

Here's another Suzy & los Quattro (also not to be confused with Suzi Quattro):

Ulrich

"And I know I'm gonna make it
If my heart can take it
And if I don't, I know I'm gonna go out fighting
And I know I'm gonna get through
Cause I got the will to
And if I don't, you know I'm gonna go out trying
I will be strong
I will hold on
I will keep winning until the race is run"

Ulrich

SueC

Plenty other fish in the sea, @Ulrich.  And the problem with all fish is that they're always fishy... :angel

I'm currently listening to something as a result of the discussions we've had here of late about 1980s alternative.  Back then I listened to two radio stations I liked: 96fm (quite educational; across-the-board more serious contemporary/rock music including "musical classics" and no Top 40 as such unless one of those songs accidentally got in) and 6UVS-FM (university alternative station).  The alternative station played loads of underground, lesser-known and cult stuff - including New Order, Joy Division, Echo & The Bunnymen, and a whole lot of other things that commercial stations didn't play, and 96fm played perhaps 30% of (and they'd play alternative songs by artists 96fm played set songs of).

Here's something both stations played; and I remember when I first heard it, because it was a really arresting and dramatic sound, which made me sit down and listen, and then the lyrics began... Personally I wasn't particularly drawn to "depressive" music (but not to "bouncy" contemporary either, generally) - I avoided that side of the "serious" sorts of music - and that's one reason I was never drawn to New Order and Joy Division, although I could appreciate some of their songs and wouldn't turn them off etc - the other is that their sound, with some exceptions, didn't particularly grab me.  I preferred "we're acknowledging the problems, this is something we can try to do about it" to "we're acknowledging the problems and want to slash our wrists / wallow in our problems" type lyrics (as I saw it, and I personally wanted to be constructive - as a teenager in a difficult home - there was plenty of trouble already and I didn't need to bathe in it recreationally as well - I wanted pointers for getting out of this mud... and being out of that, at this stage of my life I have a bit more tolerance towards those kinds of music than back then).

This song is pretty stark and when I first heard it, I remember the presenter saying, "Don't listen to this if you're feeling really terrible already."  But I liked it, first of all as a sound, and also for its storytelling - I felt that stories like this needed to be told, and that they could teach people empathy.  I think Morrissey comes across as an ass in many ways, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate this song.  And I did end up with that album, years later.

And this is my favourite cover of Blue Monday!

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on May 13, 2021, 05:33:57Plenty other fish in the sea...

Yeah, but what if...

word_on_a_wing

Quote from: Ulrich on May 04, 2021, 15:53:51@woaw: I didn't know about the OA, but first time I saw her was on Twin Peaks in 2017 (performing "Tarifa").

I'm very late in reading your reply Ulrich ...i didn't realise she has been in Twin Peaks and will now have to find the episode and rewatch it!! That one's a very good song too 👍
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."