hello,
i downloaded from dime and have only static noises.... :(

rodney

probably because it's 24bit.

crowbi_wan

Quote from: jct on February 20, 2008, 01:01:45
hello,
i downloaded from dime and have only static noises.... :(

You will need to downsample the 24-bit audio to 16-bit using a program like Audition.  Either that, or just get yourself a pro soundcard and listen to it on your computer  The original 24-bit files sound like a dream :smth020  GREAT work, Tof  :smth023

jct

no idea how that works. is it somewhere else available??

bluewater

This might be either

- problem with your playback program
- problem with the audio decoders installed in your OS
- problem with your soundcard

The problem is the bit-depth (24 bit), not the sampling rate (in this case 48khz).
Some soundcards have strange behavior when output is 24-bit. You should be able to change
the output bit depth on your playback program. This option is somewhere at (example with foobar 2k program)

1. edit -> preferences -> output -> (select Directsound if you use windows) -> output format/postprocessing -> 16-bit

This doesn't touch the original files and should work regardless of the soundcard you have, it just changes
the output to the soundcard to 16-bit.

If you use dbPowerAmp and Winamp then Lostflower4 can probably help you better than
me.

If you want to burn audio-cd's from the files then i suggest that you do converting (example with foobar 2k program):

2. edit -> preferences -> tools - > converter - > check that preferred bit depth is "16-bit" and uncheck "keep lossless sources at original bitdepth"

3. right-click on the files in playlist - > convert -> select "Flac" or "Wav" -> check "Dsp processing" - > select "Resampler" - > configure - > select 44100hz

If you use Windows media player or VLC or Media player Classic you need an audio decoder like "ffdshow - video and audio decoder"
in addition to a Flac decoder but as far as i know it gets a bit complicated that way, just use some more advanced playback program then.

Hope that helps people with problems with the flac files..

-bluewater
Life's too short to listen to lossy music

psychophysio

I played it using Winamp - go to Options - Preferences - Playback - enable 24 bit playback.

I made a 16 bit version using goldwave (www.goldwave.com)
Download the free version:

Click open - choose the 24 bit files
The click 'save as' for each file and save as 16 bit. I didn't notice any difference between high quality and maximum quality but my ears are not too good any more....

very easy to do and all free....