2008.12.14 Universal City - Gibson Amphitheatre 'KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas'

Started by crowbi_wan, November 21, 2008, 03:17:52

Previous topic - Next topic

j

I also ran into Lol between the Killers and The Cure.  Shook his hand. He didn't smell as far as I could tell.

jbud1980

Quote from: j on December 15, 2008, 09:41:14
Shitty audience, shitty setlist, shitty Robert's voice.  Shitty special guest earlier in the night.  Can you tell I'm cranky?  Doesn't help that I need to get up in 5 hours to catch a 6 hour flight home.... :smth100

i completely agree, the audience ruined it. yeah, let's all stand up for craptacular bands like the killers and death cab, but when The Cure come on, let's not only sit down, but leave. i left as soon as kanye west (had to ask the guy behind me who the hell this person was) came on, but luckily, you are able to leave the venue to go outside and ponder why in god's name someone who is not even played on kroq would be the special guest. i guess they needed something else besides the killers and paramore to appease the posers/follwers. on a positive note, snow patrol was really good, and i may actually look into some of their music.

as for The Cure, his voice sounded so-so, they started 25 minutes late, the setlist was way too predictable, and i kept getting distracted by the people who were leaving early. i mean, yeah, it's a work night for us all, but c'mon, it's The Cure. I got home at 1am and was up 5 hours later for work.  :smth023 A Forest sounded great, and I really did like the old school encore instead of more radio friendly songs. Killing an Arab was great.

j

Quote from: jbud1980 on December 15, 2008, 15:53:17
I got home at 1am and was up 5 hours later for work. 

Yup...In bed around 1:30am, up at 5:30 so I could make a 10:30am flight out of LAX.  I knew traffic would be bad on the 405, but the pouring rain made it worse.  Kind of ridiculous I got up 5 hours before my flight, but it took me almost 2 hours to get to the airport!

dsanchez

Quote from: jbud1980 on December 15, 2008, 15:53:17
i completely agree, the audience ruined it.

Time for The Cure to come to southamerica. We will show them the love and passion that they deserve. Full stadiums, hysteric fans, thousands singing along with them 8)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

iwannashagsimon

I didn't notice anything wrong with the show.  I thought it was a nice performance.  Of course, I was distracted by all those "Simon's thights" camera shots, so maybe I missed something?  :smth017

:smth002

crowbi_wan

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on December 15, 2008, 21:33:09
I was distracted by all those "Simon's thights" camera shots, so maybe I missed something?  :smth017

:smth002

I take it the video being shown inside the Gibson was the same as the webcast.  The lighting from my vantage point pretty much made it impossible to see Simon unless he was moving towards Robert.  Everytime I looked up at one of the screens to see Simon doing his thing, there was his crotch!  I don't think the cameraman ever did zoom away from his mid-section.   :oops:

pink ego box

Quote from: japanesebaby on December 15, 2008, 11:18:45

it really must have been a pretty boring show because everyone seems to had plenty of time to concentrate on celebrity spotting...

too bad that an uninspired gig got webcast. :/
i hope everyone had good time otherwise, though.  ;)

I didn't see those people in the crowd only Gwen.
ohh Tim Burton and Helena were there too.

I noticed the shots of Simon's lower half on the big screens. Very strange cameraman.

sullen

jbud1980

Quote from: sullen on December 16, 2008, 03:48:55
Worst cure show i've ever seen, by far....

i second that, but it was fun to take someone who had only seen the cure once before and to watch that person's eyes light up when they played the old-school encore.

nausearockpig

dsanchez

Quote from: nausearockpig on December 16, 2008, 05:30:31
I would have loved to have been there... damn you all LOL

you just readed my mind dude. I think the sensation will be always different for those who only have seen this band very few times.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

nausearockpig

Quote from: dsanchez on December 16, 2008, 09:13:07
Quote from: nausearockpig on December 16, 2008, 05:30:31
I would have loved to have been there... damn you all LOL

you just readed my mind dude. I think the sensation will be always different for those who only have seen this band very few times.

Yepa! I've only seen the band 4 times: 1992, 2000*2 and 2007 :-( not like some of our euro and US friends..

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

nausearockpig

actually I'm the same, when I saw the band in 1992 & 2000 i was in the standing area and I just stood there like a stunned mullet staring in awe, not wasting any energy on moving... but i know what you mean, usually there's a lot of boogying..