The Cure to release three new albums

Started by dsanchez, October 07, 2019, 23:09:25

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

The original publication in Spanish can be read here. Translation to English via Google:

Quote from: Robert Smith"Actually I have prepared three albums, two of them more advanced. The first will be the one that we will release very soon. I think that the first single, or the whole album, will come out this Christmas, or a little earlier. It has the title of I work Live From the Moon and it will surely change its name.

"If we talk about the first album, of unpublished songs, it has the style of The Cure , but much darker and emotional, I even think that I still have a hard time interpreting some of the new songs because they came out of the bowels, I let go them, I took everything I brought and I was inspired by transitions, losses, in the physical absence of my mother, my father, my brother ... what a pain! "said Smith.

11 years after having published his last work, 4:13 Dream , which was his thirteenth study material, the mythical vocalist, emblem of Gothic rock, dark and punk, anticipated how the other two productions will be, which are still in the process of being gestation.

"The second album, which I already have more advanced, refers to much freer pieces and with a more pronounced, stronger sound, and that to record them has to be live, yes, with that experience of putting together a concept based on the interpretation of the moment.

"The third, which is crazy, is a noise disc, with different aspects and environments, all based on experiences on a stage or on my paths, in situations where noise is present and to which we are so accustomed that we don't pay attention, "said the 60-year-old musician.

Revered by several generations, including fans who grew up in the era of the new wave, synth pop and dance, the producer, who debuted with his band in 1979, with the album Three Imaginary Boys, said he felt the expectation of what will happen with Your most immediate job.

"The whole industry has changed and I feel fascinated with what happens with my music and the expectations it generates, but who knows what comes next. Everything is so new that I am surprised. I do not stick to fashion, I do not live by standards
"I do not listen to what sounds more on a platform or the most publicized, on the contrary, I play a band that they recommend and that has few reproductions or followers. For me, the number of followers is not equivalent to quality or talent , then, I look for groups and soloists not famous that move me, "said the interpreter of" Boys Don't Cry "and" Just Like Heaven. "

'I have become an observer'

In the music industry he is considered one of the latest and most genuine rock standards, someone whom thousands of fans around the world put on an altar. However, Robert Smith, leader of The Cure, is not a man as complex or strange as one might think.

His life goes by, he says in a funny tone in a telephone chat from his home, in the United Kingdom , in the real world, with people around and tangible things. He has no interest in the virtual world. He will never expose on social networks what he does or who he is. He prefers real human contact instead of posting messages to thousands of followers every time.

"I have become an observer rather than a protagonist, in that sense. Maintaining my privacy has been very important for me and I prefer to listen to music, observe events, with someone who has that interest, rather than being the center of attention. center of attention ... better in my show, and not always, because who stands out is the audience, "he said.

By the way, expect that same reaction this Tuesday, when The Cure offers a concert at the Foro Sol for which there are no more tickets.

He regretted that new generations are only interested in a connection through a device and do not deal with the harmony of their immediate surroundings.

"It is not my task to criticize, but it is not my thing. I do not see very healthy that the young people of today only live to be aware of a cell phone, an account, a like ...

"The human connection has been lost and I would love to think that 'rescuers' are coming, those who reconsider and engage in a talk or debate in person. Maybe it is I who does not know how to adapt, maybe it is outdated, but I feel that way about that".
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

While I do trust that the new album (the band has been working on since 2018) will really be coming our way "soon" (whatever that means, near Xmas or spring 2020), I don't believe there will be 3 albums out anytime soon.

Some of the article may be "lost in translation", but if the band are expected to record one of those "live", in the end RS will probably scrap it, because he's too much of a perfectionist to get this out as an official album... (Let's face it, RS has never been one for "free style improvisation". Might be an "interesting" result, but I don't think it'll happen.) Similar thoughts I have about a "noise" album...  :?

Also, not to forget, he plans to re-release "4:13 Dream" with a bonus album of unreleased songs from those recordings. (This might also be misunderstood as a "new album".)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

:rofl  I find this so amusing - the carefulness and the careful turns of phrase you cultivate around the discussion of possible Cure album releases, @Ulrich! :)  It possibly reminds me that there really is some German-ness in my DNA...  :cool
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on October 08, 2019, 12:20:57... amusing - the carefulness and the careful turns of phrase you cultivate around the discussion of possible Cure album releases

Well, with things like that it is necessary, otherwise we'll have people complain "oh that was cancelled, oh this was never released"...

I'll believe the "3 album theory" when release dates are being talked about.  ;)

Until then, I'll wait for the ONE new album (hopefully coming soon).  :happy

word_on_a_wing

Quote from: Ulrich on October 08, 2019, 10:38:34Some of the article may be "lost in translation"

Yes I suspect this too. I'm finding it hard to feel seriously about this interview given it sounds so unlike RS. Pity it didn't seem to get recorded, or written verbatim in English.  ...if it is something though I'm sure he'd discuss it again.

Oh and "some of the new songs ...came out of the bowels" 😂 ...am I the only one who visualised RS within a colon while writing music 😂🙃
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

SueC

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on October 08, 2019, 14:10:13Oh and "some of the new songs ...came out of the bowels" 😂 ...am I the only one who visualised RS within a colon while writing music 😂🙃

Bwahahaha!  :rofl Jonah and The Whale!

I thought that the GoogleTranslate-massacred wording strongly implied that the songs were... fertiliser.  :1f631:  :evil:

Which reminds me:  What's brown and sticky?  (A stick, of course.)

...I suspect what he really said is that he was writing from the gut.  But GoogleTranslate doesn't get that kind of subtlety.  I have very much amused myself by feeding it my recent forays into German and having it translate back into English what it thought I said.  Bwahahahaha!  Hilarious!   :rofl  :rofl  :rofl
SueC is time travelling

dsanchez

I thought NME would go through the process of having an actual translator to do the article's translation, instead, it looks like they just copy/pasted the Google translated text from curefans.com and put it on their article. It's word by word the same:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/cures-robert-smith-reveals-three-new-albums-2555094
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on October 08, 2019, 20:56:27I thought NME would go through the process of having an actual translator to do the article's translation, instead, it looks like they just copy/pasted the Google translated text...

Unfortunately the NME (the "enemy") is like this: too lazy to do research, copying news from other sources etc. Not the first time here...  :unamused:

piggymirror

Quote from: Ulrich on October 08, 2019, 10:38:34While I do trust that the new album (the band has been working on since 2018) will really be coming our way "soon" (whatever that means, near Xmas or spring 2020), I don't believe there will be 3 albums out anytime soon.

I do not trust this interview. I am from Spain and have read the original Mexican interview.
Looks like half is made-up. Part of it is for real, that's certain, but I suspect that part is made-up. Journalists are a bit too creative sometimes.
And if you add to that a Robert who perhaps was on "yeah, this is so totally the truth and this is totally our last album" mode, er...

Ulrich

Quote from: piggymirror on October 09, 2019, 23:26:39I do not trust this interview. I am from Spain and have read the original Mexican interview.
Looks like half is made-up.

Yeah, I still wonder why dsanchez decided to make this headline out of it. :expressionless: