Tim Pope to work with The Cure again?

Started by dsanchez, March 31, 2008, 13:04:59

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

From Tim Pope official website

Oh dear...
March 31, 2008 10:00AM
Oh dear - well, all hell seems to have been let loose by my last delirium-fueled posting on this website! I am told by the person running the site that we have received literally hundreds of emails, after I mentioned going to see The Cure play live at Wembley. Though I think the main interest came from me also mentioning that I may be going to see Robert. I am going to see him and although these events tend to be fairly sporadic, they are always fun and it's nice to catch up. There is FYI talk of a project, but I shall let him announce this at a time that he sees fit, rather than me doing so. It will be a very interesting project. Though it may not involve videos. Hmmm. Is this going to make the debate even more ferocious? Or will it assuage the rumours? We shall see! Just so you know - and, God, there seem to be a few of you interested - my meeting with Robert is delayed for the moment, as he is working hard and so I am I with Neil Young and Gianna Nannini. I am off to Prague this Friday and then plan to go to either San Fran or Hawaii to work with Neil, but rest assured as soon as there is any "proper news" you wil be the first to know...
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

frog_s

Yummy Yummy,

This is good news, isn't it!?

[labyrinth]

of course it is.

Tim Pope is the best director they have ever used for their clips , their concerts and etc.

Janko

Quote from: frog_s on March 31, 2008, 14:41:10

This is good news, isn't it!?

IT MIGHT BE!
IT DEPENDS ON SONGS THEY MADE.
IF THEY ARE AS GOOD AS "CLOSE TO ME" - THE VIDEOS WILL BE GREAT!
I HOPE THEY WONT GO TO MAKE ANOTHER "IN ORANGE"...
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

dsanchez

Quote from: Janko on March 31, 2008, 16:45:05
I HOPE THEY WONT GO TO MAKE ANOTHER "IN ORANGE"...

They wont. What they will do is probably "In Paris" 8)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

[labyrinth]

perhaps it is a little bit strange.
because when a director is called to "direct" a concert-movie (like "In Orange" / "Show") he is at the show and the crew is choosen by him.

the images are taken by his crew following his orders and not by "a" crew and then only edited by the director.
it sounds weird.

so i'm not sure he will be involved in a "In Paris"-project.

anyway, let's wait for some "official" news to surface.

askbill

I don't think that Robert would release a DVD from a single show unless he had a back-up ala Le Orange for over dubs. He is too much of a perfectionist.

[labyrinth]

hmmm,
i don't even see that as the reason why it sounds strange.

because it could follow their will to be more "fresh and quick and energetic" and then with the presence of some mistakes that always happen in a live performance more based on the energy that on the "perfection" of playing.
though i agree with you when you say he is a perfectionist.

;)

japanesebaby

Quote from: askbill on March 31, 2008, 17:41:27
I don't think that Robert would release a DVD from a single show unless he had a back-up ala Le Orange for over dubs. He is too much of a perfectionist.

a good point.

besides, why should we suddenly all assume it's even about this paris dvd at all? because if tim pope would have had something to do with the paris project, then he would have been asked to be involved in this project already months ago anyway. it can't be like they are first shooting the live footage without a director being present and only after that asking him to join the circus... that would make very little sense, really.
so i'd like to think it's about something completely different, really. in every way i read that post, it just sounds to me like they are just starting to discuss something there, something new.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

[labyrinth]

Dinosaur

I suppose it is that 30th anniversary documentary Robert mentioned... or something else =P

~*CherryRed*~

Whatever it is, I'll buy it!! :-D(let's just hope it's not a live thingy that's done in Europe or somewhere else that I can't get to! :smth011)
"prone to flights of whimsy"

figurehead

Good news.
I hope it is a real one & not a joke or something.
'Is It Always Like This?'

abcandreas

Maybe they will start discussing this with Tim now, as it is already a show in Paris filmed. I'm thinking about Show and Paris. The whole show from the US on VHS and CD, but then also a cd from Paris. I am not sure if the Paris show in '92 was filmed as well, but I am seeing similarities. So maybe they recruit Tim to do a DVD from the american part of the Tour and then it would be awesome if they filmed Radio City Music Hall.

scatcat

Quote from: japanesebaby on March 31, 2008, 19:01:03

a good point.

besides, why should we suddenly all assume it's even about this paris dvd at all? because if tim pope would have had something to do with the paris project, then he would have been asked to be involved in this project already months ago anyway. it can't be like they are first shooting the live footage without a director being present and only after that asking him to join the circus... that would make very little sense, really.
so i'd like to think it's about something completely different, really. in every way i read that post, it just sounds to me like they are just starting to discuss something there, something new.

well, the Pope of old... gave Robert what the band needed.. but , as mentioned above by JB...  if he IS to be invloved, then possibly not in connection to the European tour, but i think, possibly some clips involving the new album.. or possibly to co-incide with the 30 year cellabration.. different would be great. I don't watch MTV or music channels anymore- me .. too old. too much crap!!

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life