burning various files to DVD

Started by plancton, May 25, 2008, 08:28:21

Previous topic - Next topic

plancton

I am trying to burn all my downloaded videos to DVD. after a lot of messing around I discovered that if I convert the files to mpeg2 with ac3 sound with a free program called super, then those files are usable with a DVD burning software. but strangely enough not all of them. some of them are stroboscopic, totally out of synch, totally weird. I'm wondering why.
so, just wondering if anyone has a better method, or knows a burning software that will burn more filetypes.

lostflower4

Unless the video file is already DVD compliant (i.e., MPEG-2), I wouldn't even bother converting it to DVD. Most of these "computer formats" are already poor quality to begin with, and converting them just re-encodes them and makes them worse. It also creates all kinds of random problems, like with the synch as you described.

You can try to keep the synch by trying different programs for different files, but it's just really not worth it, in my opinion.

The one exception for me is DivX, which I can play on my standalone DVD player. But unless I really "need" some other format to play on a DVD, I'll just use my computer.

You'd be better off using your time toward other things, like finding better sources of these videos that are actually in DVD quality/format to begin with. I'm speaking from experience here.  :oops:

japanesebaby

Quote from: lilikoi1966 on May 25, 2008, 08:28:21
I am trying to burn all my downloaded videos to DVD. after a lot of messing around I discovered that if I convert the files to mpeg2 with ac3 sound with a free program called super, then those files are usable with a DVD burning software. but strangely enough not all of them. some of them are stroboscopic, totally out of synch, totally weird. I'm wondering why.
so, just wondering if anyone has a better method, or knows a burning software that will burn more filetypes.

not much add to the message above... there's no point in converting low quality video files to mpeg-2: it's a waste of time and especially a waste of quality. even if you used a rather top-notch mpeg-encoder, the quality will still deteriorate notably. and many commonly used mpeg encoders can actually do a pretty shitty job. :?

the best solution: burn the files in the original format (mpeg-1, low-bitrate .avi, divx etc.) and just play them via your computer. if you especially insist on watching them on your tv screen instead of the computer screen, just see if you can hook up your computer to your tv set (can be done at least with some tv sets?). or maybe the easiest choice: buy a standalone dvd player that plays all those various video formats as such and play your data dvds with that. those shouldn't be too hard to find (i used to have a standalone player that played everything else than .wmv, basically. and it was a pretty standard, cheap model, nothing special).
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

plancton

thanks for the anwers, I guess I'll have to look for better sources.