The Cure inducted to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Started by dsanchez, December 17, 2018, 11:10:34

Previous topic - Next topic

sadchild

Thank you for posting the transcripts of Trent and Robert's speeches.

And Robert's line, "By the sound of it, no" was pure brilliance and had me laughing on-and-off for an hour.
The way she pulls me in sucks my breath away

Ulrich

From the RS article, obviously there were some "reservations" about doing it, Simon "grounded" the band:
How does it feel to be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?
I should know by now [to] have a glib answer to offer. There are so many people who have done that I actually admire hugely and inspired me and the band that I think my reservations, such as they were, were kind of pretty immaterial, as it turns out.

What were your reservations?
When we came to the building and we did the red carpet thing, my initial response, because I hadn't quite thought it through [was] I was a bit glib and said despite my best efforts at being alternative, we'd been subsumed into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. There's an element of truth to that, but to fight against it would be slightly churlish. It doesn't change how we do, or how I think about, what we do.

Simon [Gallup] said we should do it because people will see us onstage, know who we are, and we'll play songs for them. That's kind of what the band does. He made the band come back down to Earth and stop theorizing about what it really means and what it represents. We'll just play some songs to people. They'll either like us or they won't. Then we'll go and have a beer. He's a much more down to earth character than I. I think sometimes I worry too much.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-cures-robert-smith-on-rock-hall-induction-and-f-cking-great-new-album-815601/
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

sadchild

It just occurred to me, as I finished watching The Cure's RRHOF performance which was followed immediately a medley of music from fellow inductee Janet Jackson, that The Cure was inducted the same year as Janet Jackson - the same person who kept "Lovesong" from the #1 spot with "Miss You Much". Interesting bit of trivia there.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1989-10-21
The way she pulls me in sucks my breath away

Ulrich

Quote from: sadchild on April 06, 2019, 03:55:20
... person who kept "Lovesong" from the #1 spot with "Miss You Much".

We should be grateful for that, as Robert said in the 80's that he'll disband the group immediately if they ever have a #1 hit single!  :1f632:

With that in mind, Janet has deserved her HoF induction!  :beaming-face

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Some interesting comments by Roger about HoF:

Quote...first of all we didn't know if we were coming [to the induction] until about two weeks ago because he couldn't just decide whether we should do it.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame does not mean anything in England and it does not mean anything to any of us.
http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=9111.msg769291#msg769291

Ulrich

What's this? The Cure being ironic on Facebook: 
Goddam SN! Are YOU as EXCITED as US?!! Rock's biggest night of the year premieres Saturday at 8pm ET/PT on HBO #RockHall2019

:lol:

dsanchez

And on Twitter :P
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

word_on_a_wing

Hope someone uploads onto YouTube... can't view it here in Australia 😕
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

dsanchez

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on April 28, 2019, 06:50:16
Hope someone uploads onto YouTube... can't view it here in Australia 😕

Going to share this in HD today or tomorrow ;)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

word_on_a_wing

word_on_a_wing

It's interesting to see Trent's speech in full (as posted by NIN official account) vs the speech that was broadcast (both of which have been uploaded on YT now 👍)

My favourite section of TRs speech was omitted from the broadcasted (boo!!)....
"They've been in and out of fashion so many times in the last four decades that they ended up transcending fashion itself. Though they might be a hip name to drop in 2019, this wasn't always the case. Their dedication to pushing sonic and artistic boundaries while making music for the ages wasn't always rewarded with glowing reviews in the press. But they never failed to attract a passionate, intelligent and loyal fanbase who always knew the truth: The Cure are one of the most unique, most brilliant, most heartbreakingly excellent rock bands the world has ever known."
💕
Yes we know The Truth!!! 😀💕

word_on_a_wing

Also just curious is anyone else here a huge NIN fan too?
I was a huge fan of NIN (incl traveling overseas to see gigs etc), with this  preceding my love for The Cure blossoming so strongly.   NIN (particularly 1999-2009) was my soundtrack for years :) 
Am I alone here or are others in a similar boat?
Gosh I loved the Year Zero concept album and associated ARG  ...Art Is Resistance!!!

Ulrich

For those who wanna see a few pics:
http://craigjparker.blogspot.com/2019/04/scenes-from-rock-hall-induction-special.html

Nice words from Lol Tolhurst btw:
A bit surreal to watch the @rockhall induction ceremony. Like a high school reunion with better music! Seriously though I am very grateful to @rockhall for making it happen, happy for my whole Cure family. But most of all thankful for Cure fans that have loved us for 40 years.

dsanchez

Keep on eye here as I will publish the links to download this in HD in the next hours.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo