Previous topic - Next topic

Cure Freak

Quote from: Steve on October 11, 2007, 07:57:32
Quote from: Cure Freak on October 10, 2007, 19:36:04
Quote from: Steve on October 10, 2007, 07:50:04
Anyone heard their version of Love?
:?

no, I haven't.

It's rubbish (but a damn sight better than the original)
May still, give it a listen. if I can find it.

I haven't evern heard Jett's version of Do You Want To Touch Me, either.

doncuevas

my favorite cover done by the cure is "young americans" is beatiful

Cure

[b]floating here like this with you
underneath the stars
alight for 13 billion years
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

AlluivialL

Yes I will admit to loving Young Americans. David Bowie is simply amazing, and Robert singing one of his songs is absolutely incredible.
But I think I get a bit confused, am I seducing or being seduced?

revolt

I don´t think the Cure ever did a good cover song... If they have, I certainly haven´t heard it. Although I haven´t checked them all, to be sure. But "Foxy Lady" is a murder (also a fun one), "Hello I love you" and "Young Americans" are pointless... "Purple Haze" is rather intriguing, but I still can't decide if it is good or not. Let´s face it, The Cure are a lousy cover band. Which is just as well.. Who needs covers, anyway?

jbud1980

I hope you guys do not ostracize me for saying this, yet I have never liked any cover by any band, and yes, this includes The Cure. Even 311's cover of Lovesong was just horrible.

I'm sorry, I just do not like covers...

robiola

Quote from: jbud1980 on May 23, 2008, 00:40:06
I hope you guys do not ostracize me for saying this, yet I have never liked any cover by any band, and yes, this includes The Cure. Even 311's cover of Lovesong was just horrible.

I'm sorry, I just do not like covers...
1.I do not see why you should be ostricized for this, and besides
2.I agree with you! I hate covers, I like to hear songs in their original version.
  Covers done by The Cure included.

(Ok, I'll admit to one guilty little secret -- I love Dear Prudence done by Siouxie. But really, that's the one and only cover of any song I've ever liked.)

hharkey

revolt

Quote from: robiola on May 23, 2008, 20:48:28
Quote from: jbud1980 on May 23, 2008, 00:40:06

(Ok, I'll admit to one guilty little secret -- I love Dear Prudence done by Siouxie. But really, that's the one and only cover of any song I've ever liked.)

That´s not a bad one, actually. But I think the Beatles original is better...

Anyway, I don´t HATE all covers. I really like singers such as Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday or Frank Sinatra, and pretty much all they did in their lives was sing covers...

But to give good examples of a more rock/pop nature, have you ever checked:

Red House Painters: Silly Love Songs (original: Paul McCartney)
Cowboy Junkies: Sweet Jane (original: Lou Reed)
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: Wanted Man (original: Bob Dylan)
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: Avalanche (original: Leonard Cohen)
John Cale: Heartbreak Hotel (original: Elvis Presley)

Believe me, those are GREAT covers. I reckon though they must be sort of exceptions to the rule...

vamsi78

I was really surprised by the slower psychedelic version of "Hello, I love you" on Join The Dots. Sounded much more interesting and ambitious than the rock version. 

Birdmad Guy

mambojoe

I had a bootleg concert recording (tisk-tisk) from an 85 show in which they ended with "Do You Wanna Touch Me." It sounded great.

PanzasCure

plasticpassi0n

I have to say all of the Hello, I Love You covers because, not being biased, they were recorded on my street so they hold somewhat of a personal connection to me. Obviously they sound amazing too! It's bound to, they're The Cure!!!
It's a perfect day for letting go
For setting fire to bridges, boats
And other dreary worlds you know
Let's get happy!
It's a perfect day for making out
To wake up with a smile without a doubt
To burst, grin, giggle, bliss, skip, jump and sing and shout
Let's get happy!

Saw TC live, Hammersmith Apollo, 21/12/14