arheim 1980 : Three or forever

Started by push, September 16, 2005, 13:02:42

Previous topic - Next topic

push

i've a curiosity about a setlit of arheim 1980: The song "Three" is really forever??

smitha

what do you mean?
Forever was born from Three. They started to improvise and there it was Forever.
I just don't remember what goes on that show.

lostflower4

Quote from: smithawhat do you mean?
Forever was born from Three. They started to improvise and there it was Forever.
I just don't remember what goes on that show.

I agree. In my mind the songs are really the same. The chords are the same, but the musical style evolved over time.

One thing I find interesting is that the only time I know of that the song has officially been titled "Forever" by The Cure themselves was when they released the Concert - Curiosity cassette featuring the version from Paris '84. Of course there was the version from the '81 Peel Session, but I'm not old enough to know if they called it Forever back then.

If it weren't for those things, maybe we'd still be calling it Three. :?

Gweza

I used to call it "Three" during the 1980 tour, "Forever" during the 1981 picture tour, "All mine" on the 1982 tour and after always "Forever" ... that the way I saw it  :wink:

lostflower4

Quote from: GwezaI used to call it "Three" during the 1980 tour, "Forever" during the 1981 picture tour, "All mine" on the 1982 tour and after always "Forever" ... that the way I saw it  :wink:

You know, I had never really listened to the Arnhem version very carefully until now. It is very similar to the recording on Seventeen Seconds. It starts off with some strange keyboard noise, then the same exact drum beat, and to top it off, "Scream" is the first lyric sung by Robert. It is a lot more like the original "Three" than I thought.

But as it goes on, it sounds a little more like the Forever as we now know it. Right now I'll consider it as both.

However, I like the way you categorize it, Gweza. Maybe you're right after all. :-D

But how do I list it on my page? :smt017

Gweza

On "cure-concert.de" it's list as "Three", so maybe you should do the same...
In the book "Clinical prescriptions 76-87" it's list as "Three" from 1980 to 1983 and "Three : incarnation Forever" since 1984, just a little note that it's called "All mine" during the 1982 tour.
So maybe my way is wrong but I like it and it seems quite logical  :?  :wink: