About the Robert Smith's answer to Carrie Keagan everyone's talking about

Started by dsanchez, April 01, 2019, 20:38:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

Quote from: tanyasmith on April 02, 2019, 17:19:31
If we're talking about professionalism, is it really that professional that she begged to sit on his guitar while he played?

Ha ha, told you she was a bit over-excited...  :winking_tongue

My impression is that Robert is not the person who likes to be the "target" of over-excited "fans", this kind of exuberance is not very much to his taste. However he was polite and stayed "in control" of the situation.  :cool

It makes me think there's something important going on in terms of change.

I don't think so. Just another fart which goes around the world on social media...  ;)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

tanyasmith

It makes me think there's something important going on in terms of change.

I don't think so. Just another fart which goes around the world on social media...  ;)
[/quote]

Oh really? You also had little faith in the R&RHoF induction voting...I think you like to be on the doubting side. You may have some Libra in your astro chart. Libras tend to be contrarian. Another reason why this fart, explosion may be happening on social media is because Robert Smith hasn't spoken to the media in so long and it's bringing out the fans.

Ulrich

Quote from: tanyasmith on April 02, 2019, 17:58:21
Oh really? You also had little faith in the R&RHoF induction voting...

Indeed. Then can you show me what the voting has brought effectively? It is the members of the HoF, whose voting did bring in the band (the voting of the fans has maybe helped a little).
Sadly, the HoF is shrouded in secrecy about their proceedings.
I've always thought the band had its "reservations" about the whole thing - now look at the current article from Rolling Stone.
http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=9106.0

Also, btw, this topic here is only about the reply of RS to the (silly) question by Carrie, not about the whole interview or the HoF appearance itself. Hence my "fart" comment...  ;)
Can you explain to me how RS saying "by the sound of it, no" on the red carpet is sign for a change? What "change" do you expect?

Also, btw, it was lil' me who thought the new album will be a "dark" one in the typical Cure vein (now look at what Robert said about it).  :)

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: Ulrich on April 02, 2019, 18:31:18
Also, btw, this topic here is only about the reply of RS to the (silly) question by Carrie

how is silly asking a red carpet question in a red carpet event? :)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

If we're talking about professionalism, is it really that professional that she begged to sit on his guitar while he played?

It's perfectly professional for a red carpet event! Or did we forget what red carpets event are like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeem2HonzyA

This is not Larry King talking to Palmer Joss...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFcHpamkHII&t=9s
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

I wonder why this ordinary interview has exploded on social media. It makes me think there's something important going on in terms of change.

Exploded simply because a famous person (Smith) embarrassed a journalist in the live transmission of a worldwide watched event. If it would have been any other less famous person and not Smith, probably no-one would have cared.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

tanyasmith

Can you explain to me how RS saying "by the sound of it, no" on the red carpet is sign for a change? What "change" do you expect?

I expect the change of how interviewers on the red carpet approach their interviewees. Robert Smith by making that teeny, tiny, subtle, deadpan expression set the tone for future interviews with other interviewers. This little interaction will influence the way interviews are approached for a while.

Also, btw, it was lil' me who thought the new album will be a "dark" one in the typical Cure vein (now look at what Robert said about it).  :)

Well, Ulrich, that's what Robert Smith said, but don't you expect a pop song or two on it? They haven't even mixed it yet.

tanyasmith

Quote from: dsanchez on April 02, 2019, 20:12:29
It's perfectly professional for a red carpet event! Or did we forget what red carpets event are like? [/quote]

My understanding of red carpet events is that they're meant to publicize the celebrity, to draw in viewers, to be seen and talked about in the news afterward. Well, it worked! Somebody up above mentioned the word "professional" so I said that if we were talking about professional....I rarely pin my eyes to a red carpet event. I don't watch TV. I'm barely involved with mainstream stuff, but since Robert Smith goes through the mainstream to communicate with fans, I bend for that. I come out of my shell when he comes out of his. My hero, my mentor of soul, my teacher of paradox.

It's not about whether we're wrong or right. It's about whether we can keep going, or my personal motto: "keep glowing."

Ulrich

Quote from: tanyasmith on April 02, 2019, 23:26:45
I expect the change of how interviewers on the red carpet approach their interviewees.
... This little interaction will influence the way interviews are approached for a while.

Well, maybe, for a little while. (Look at other red carpet examples by dscanchez.)

At least I hope it will change one thing: moderators/interviewers will be more careful about how they approach Robert Smith and limit their "exuberance" to a minimum!  :cool

Well, Ulrich, that's what Robert Smith said, but don't you expect a pop song or two on it?

Yeah, that is possible, even "Disintegration" had its portion of "hit singles" on it!  :smth023

MeltingMan

I expect the change of how interviewers on the red carpet approach their interviewees. Robert Smith by making that teeny, tiny, subtle, deadpan expression set the tone for future interviews with other interviewers. This little interaction will influence the way interviews are approached for a while.

I suppose under "first date" conditions Carrie would have left the scene immediately. You cannot
do this in public, but Robert knows exactly that he receives the full attention and that the interviewer
cannot "run away". Setting boundaries is absolutely OK, but even when you are not "over-excited", as mentioned before, you must be aware of his sarcasm. Look at his interviews in 2018. Again, Carrie did a perfect job. And Robert might has deserved a special "penalty" from his wife.  ;)
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on April 03, 2019, 10:26:46
I suppose under "first date" conditions Carrie would have left the scene immediately. You cannot
do this in public, but Robert knows exactly that he receives the full attention and that the interviewer
cannot "run away".

That makes it sound like a "calculated" move, but I don't believe Robert did it that way (or to receive any kind of "attention").
I have the impression he was simply "run over" by her exuberance and replied in an honest way... (simply because he really was not overly excited about HoF)!  :cool

tanyasmith

Quote from: MeltingMan on April 03, 2019, 10:26:46

And Robert might has deserved a special "penalty" from his wife.  ;)

Ha ha, Melting Man! Maybe Mary will reward him for not being too nice.

tanyasmith

It's funny, because I'm guessing what will come out of those milliseconds of "no" is future interviewers who do their best not to be excited with Robert Smith, or as you say, Ulrich: "limit their exuberance." What if the next interviewer began with "I totally don't want to be interviewing you, but since I have to..." LOL!!!

The question now is will Robert ever comment on this situation? Will he apologize to Carrie? Will he feel the need to appease or will he stand behind his actions? Knowing Robert he might say something like he didn't mean to offend, was just joking, although he has called out journalists in the past, has had no qualms expressing public dislike toward the things he doesn't like. I think he'd be more likely to support Carrie if people turned her into a Hester Prynne than if everybody proclaimed they liked her and thought she deserved an apology. I think it's part of his integrity to say what he believes and not feel coerced into saying things he doesn't feel or mean, such as Carrie trying to coerce him into admitting some kind of excitement over the induction that he didn't feel. I could go on...And it just occurred to me how nobody has addressed yet why over-excitement and too much exuberance might be a bad thing? Is it because it's avoiding the deeper feelings about things, trying to overcompensate for feeling sad, angry, moody, vulnerable? Carrie's exuberance and expectation that Robert would appreciate her excitement tells me that she doesn't know Robert well.  I also think she may have thought "tonight The Cure is the "it" band and I'm going to make sure to get my moment with Robert Smith." She claimed that all her friends knew she was a Cure fan, but like a deep Cure fan who read about the band and listened to interviews about Robert Smith? Again, if she had, wouldn't she have known that Robert likes interviews to be mellow and isn't a fan of red carpet events and the Hollywood/music industry culture? I don't understand why she claimed to be such a big fan yet can only state Let's Go to Bed as her favorite Cure song? What's the story of her love of The Cure? When did she get into them? What stories does she have about waiting in line at Cure shows? Did she wear black and do the goth thing? Was The Cure just one band that she followed of several others? Is The Cure her favorite band? Why had she been waiting her whole life to meet Robert Smith, as she claimed? What does he mean to her? As a Cure fan, with The Cure being by far my favorite band, art, music on this earth, I can answer all these questions, share a ton of stories, find friends to support my claims of Cure obsession, teachers who remembered me changing my last name to Smith...My point is that I want proof that Carrie is a true Cure fan, otherwise I conclude she's a poser.

word_on_a_wing

...or we could all just LET IT GO

There's more meaningful things going on in the world that people could be putting their energy towards.
...my thoughts anyway
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."