2011.05.31 Sydney - Sydney Opera House (Australia)

Started by dsanchez, May 03, 2011, 21:11:09

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Quote from: Sussex on June 14, 2011, 19:58:12
I've uploaded some new pictures. Thanks to Sam (a fan who sat besides me) for the lovely pictures. Robert looks so adorable in one of the pictures.

thanks for sharing these Sussex! More than two weeks since the concerts. Time flies... :(
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

kissingcrimson

hey All! x

finally finished exams :) I was wondering if I can post my review here? It's a little long so i don't want to take up too much space :)
'I'm in a carefully careless mess'

kissingcrimson

kissingcrimson

im having trouble logging into the photo gallery so I will post a couple of the pics I have here.

i didn't take many unfortunately,

Trust...

Quote from: kissingcrimson on June 20, 2011, 12:54:47
hey All! x

finally finished exams :) I was wondering if I can post my review here? It's a little long so i don't want to take up too much space :)

Yes you can  :smth023 Don't worry for the space. We would like to read it  :)
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

kissingcrimson

My Diary of Cure Reflections - (sorry I can't measure my cure thoughts)
The first time I saw the Cure, I guess I never really knew exactly what to expect, as soon as it was announced, almost 6mths before the event, I was wrought with extreme excitement, I had months to prepare myself, I counted down the months to getting tickets and then the days to being there. Considering that was the second concert I had ever been to, I was young (and also being my favourite, most loved band) I was new to everything. The actual day still remains in my memories, but just as a dream would, I remember being there, I remember being taken on a journey out of this world, it was like nothing I had seen, heard, felt or ever would anywhere else, I left with immense feelings of happiness, love, I was bouncing...and already longing for more. That in a nutshell, was the first time...

The Reflections shows came about a little differently. Early last month after Robert announced that Bestival would be the Cure's only performance of 2011, It came as quite a surprise that the Cure were shortly after rumored to be coming to Australia..(of all places)..to do a special one off show to mark the band's 30yrs since Faith, with past members. The fact that this actually became official was even more bizarre. Within two weeks, tickets were on sale and plans were set in motion. Lucky enough to obtain tickets to both nights, I still couldn't quite grasp that by the end of the month I'd be there. Something I had dreamed, longed for so much since (4 years) the last time I saw them, something I had been waiting for so long was right before me.

So, this is how my fantastical journey to Sydney started..

Filled with extreme anticipation, nervousness, and excitement... I walked toward the Opera house to what would be the first night, of two that I would be seeing the Cure again. The promenade was warmly lit with magical neon colours for the vivid festival. Light displays, and installations, paved the way toward the venue that awaited. The distant traffic, the sounds of the city, murmurs of the wind the whispers of lights, warm reflections over the water, calmly splashing under the harbor. Ahead, the Opera house, like sails waving me home, were glowing white and inviting. All the bright colours began to blur into one as I got closer and closer, my heart started to beat faster and those intense feelings from those dreamlike memories that I once felt the last (first) time I saw The Cure, started flooding back...

Before entering, I took a moment and watched the spectacular laser shows showering the sails of the opera house with bright neon swirling designs and imagined I was up there, my soul fluttering in neon purple and blue.

Once inside things moved very quickly. Seated and waiting for the show to start, the hall was filled with the ambient sounds of rain pattering down and the occasional crack of thunder, underneath this was the sound of distant ships, or a harmonica slowly signaling...inhaling... Exhaling (on the second night it sounded differently, like waves and gulls in the distance)... people were slowly filling the hall.

The lights shining down over the stage from the tall wooden cathedral ceilings were magenta and purple , they saturated the room coloring the large pipe organ behind the stage, it looked surreal.

As soon as the room had filled, the lights dimmed down and the cameras panned above us, the audience began to roar, and those three familiar imaginary shadows walked out, taking their respective places behind the drums , guitars and microphone. It had begun. In this moment, I felt just as you do when you start slipping into a sweet dream state, the lights start flickering and all your senses melt, your physical pain floats away, you do not feel, and your body moves effortlessly through time and space...

Robert spoke his first smile and hello, and as the first note began, the sound filled the room, and I knew that this will forever be like those moments, unlike anything I would ever be part of again...

The entire band (Robert especially), looked extremely happy, and they played as tight with Roger and Lol as if they were together for years. (they seemed even happier the second night). Aside, I enjoyed observing Robert's little mannerisms, his shy moves, smiles and teases of the tongue. His voice, was as immaculate and captivating as ever. The instruments were all authentic to the era of each set, and also the way in which they played....
and so the night went on.
Starting with three imaginary boys set, the opening lines of 10.15, the audience was delighted with innocent reflections of an era long gone, the nostalgia of three English boys of those punkish raw and rebellious days, songs about, being immensely bored and restless, not caring, songs taken from recipes, written on the back of empty sugar packs, songs like Object which Robert admits never liking,... all of these were extremely fun to listen to. They had a special quality live. I was even surprised how much I enjoyed it, and songs like Accuracy were awesome, so what , was lots of fun and it's not you, was great! The highlights for me were Subway song with that sexy opening bass line, and Robert creeping toward the mic with his shoulders in, and the final screeeeech on his guitar, as well as grinding halt for obvious reasons, then of course three imaginary boys, another day and FIREINCAIRO, sounded amazing. And on the second night, it was nice to pull out the old Weedy Burton, with Robert's invitation the audience all joined in and seemed to enjoy it. A fitting closing to the first set.
So during the interval, I gathered my thoughts and listened to the soft background music playing (I do not recall what exactly it was) I was preparing for the first Cure studio album I ever bought. Songs about being lost, afraid, expectations, (non) existence. The songs on it were where my love for the cure started, it would be the first time I would get to hear songs like a forest live, which was the first Cure song that I remember hearing, and being hooked on, endlessly...

So as the lights went down, it was a special moment when the boys returned to the stage for the 17 seconds set. The audience warmly welcomed Roger to the stage, it was very nice to see him back in front of those keys.
I cannot describe in any way how it felt like when the first note of a reflection started, the darkness, the sound of the keyboard filling the room, the audience just exploded as it went leading into play for today. And how amazing that was... singing along, jumping, dancing... and as the set went on It got better and better, I was spiraling deeper and deeper into my dream, into the music. In your house ...

Three/forever sounded great, I was hoping there would be some extended improvisations, but generally over the whole first night, the band played and Robert sung, word for word, note for note, on the second night it was a bit more relaxed, and Robert tended to make his funny noises and slight changes.

A forest was absolutely amazing on both nights, everything about it, (21? Agains) the green lighting and the green flickering lights under Jason's' drums like in the music video, were cool. I have to place a special mention here for Jason's drumming, overall was great, and the sound filling the room, but especially in the next three songs M, at night and 17 seconds would have to be the highlights for me. The opening bass lines of M (red lights flickering) and at night were my favourites, I went crazy and remember feeling like everything was just too perfect to be real, the sounds were so good...I forgot to mention secrets! Wow, that was so beautiful.
After that set, I sat down and conserved some of my energy for what would be the final but most anticipated set.

This time, with Lol entering, the five figures all stood in a circle of smoke rising behind ghostly pale white light. After the dark sounds of the holy hour, the audience kicked up and jumped in during primary, which was absolutely amazing, yellow red and blue lights flickering everywhere. Then for what was probably one of the best songs of the night, Other voices, starting with that first howl and that bassline..it was amazing. Then came Lol's moment with all cat's are grey. It was absolutely stunning, the words sounds and images sinking inside my head, I felt like closing my eyes and losing every sense but hearing. (on the second night I think there was a mistake at the final note, but the band was so happy/drunk? They all laughed/ smiled).

Next was one of the most poignant moments of the whole night as the beginning chords to the funeral party began. There were rays of white lights beaming around and through Robert as he was singing the haunting sounds . The smoke was floating around in the light, it looked so ethereal. The wailing keyboard sounds filled the air , whirling a storm of emotions in my soul.

I remember the tears were falling down my face as I watched, that very moment I was overcome by something so heartbreaking and infinitely beautiful.

Doubt, having been played live for the first time was amazing, the bitter words tumbling and spitting out of Roberts mouth so raw and violent, so powerful and harsh, I loved it! The drowning man was also a highlight, with Robert captivating as ever. Finally the one, Faith, simply brought everything to it's final place, of losing yourself , the repetition in the feelings of being consumed by death in dreams floating endlessly with nothing, alone but your soul, to the last drum beat.

So with the closing of the main show, I felt like I had been taken through a dreamlike journey back through the past 30yrs, so many emotions, so much inside...
The encores were unexpected, I don't think anybody thought they'd be going to play some of the old school rarities, plastic passion and I'm cold were exceptionally good,. Jumping someone else's train and another journey by train were my favourites.
Descent led us right into the darker encore, and into the highlight of the encores for me, which was splintered in her head. It sounded great, so heavy followed by the perfect sounds of Charlotte sometimes.

The final encore...or what Robert would otherwise call the tripping on acid was strange after hanging garden, but I guess the boys were so so happy, and the walk especially was very very good! On the first night LGTB was 'wait until 7' and on the second is was until '5'. Robert made a mistake on the first night on the words of lovecats, and he pointed at himself and laughed 'how could anyone be as dumb as this?' (it was cute)

SO finally this epic performance had to end, but it left everybody with no words. It was extremely special, and I'm still dreaming of colours, I left with immense feelings of happiness, love, I was bouncing...and already longing for more...

Until Bestival...

Ps: I need to write a separate review about all the awesome Curefans we have here. Without them the experience wouldn't be the same. Love you all, and it was such a pleasure meeting you all. Such kind and beautiful souls. x Thankyou for making it amazing, I'm very lucky to know you all.
Special mention to Billee, Cherryred, Scatcat and Sussex you crazy kids you! xoxoxo

dsanchez

hey All! x finally finished exams :)

Hola! how it was?! I hope everything went fine!

I was wondering if I can post my review here? It's a little long so i don't want to take up too much space :)

yes you can! I will link from the first post. looking forward to read it!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Trust...

Wonderful review kissingcrimson  :smth060 Thank you  :smth023
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

scatcat

Quote from: kissingcrimson on June 20, 2011, 13:47:20
Robert spoke his first smile and hello, and as the first note began, the sound filled the room, and I knew that this will forever be like those moments, unlike anything I would ever be part of again...

APART is what i feel now...  :(   :smth090

Quote from: kissingcrimson on June 20, 2011, 13:47:20
Next was one of the most poignant moments of the whole night as the beginning chords to the funeral party began. There were rays of white lights beaming around and through Robert as he was singing the haunting sounds . The smoke was floating around in the light, it looked so ethereal. The wailing keyboard sounds filled the air , whirling a storm of emotions in my soul.

I remember the tears were falling down my face as I watched, that very moment I was overcome by something so heartbreaking and infinitely beautiful.

Doubt, having been played live for the first time was amazing, the bitter words tumbling and spitting out of Roberts mouth so raw and violent, so powerful and harsh, I loved it! The drowning man was also a highlight, with Robert captivating as ever. Finally the one, Faith, simply brought everything to it's final place, of losing yourself , the repetition in the feelings of being consumed by death in dreams floating endlessly with nothing, alone but your soul, to the last drum beat.

Soo much emotion.. your review.. was just that, Beautiful!  Thankyou kissing..  :smth023 .. puurfect ..
yes, the tears..  :smth089
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

~*CherryRed*~

Damn kissymissy... wot a post/review/memory. Well done hun, mwah!!

*looks at the screen in deep thought, and smiling broadly*

The DVD will def bring the whole 2 days back for me. I really REALLY believe my curefans mates made it ten times more enjoyable. To have you lot there to be in the moment with me. I feel very lucky to have you lot... totally.
"prone to flights of whimsy"

billee

Oh kissy reading your review has made me cry. All the emotion you have put down on paper. ((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))
The other one feeds on my hesitation
Grows inside of my trepidaton
Buries his claws in my dislocation
I whisper your name to lose control

billee

billee

scatcat

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

scatcat

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on June 23, 2011, 11:21:08
Damn kissymissy... wot a post/review/memory. Well done hun, mwah!!

*looks at the screen in deep thought, and smiling broadly*

The DVD will def bring the whole 2 days back for me. I really REALLY believe my curefans mates made it ten times more enjoyable. To have you lot there to be in the moment with me. I feel very lucky to have you lot... totally.

DOH!  ;) Don't U sook now!!    :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life