Venue sizes

Started by word_on_a_wing, July 23, 2019, 15:12:10

Previous topic - Next topic

word_on_a_wing

I rewatched some of the Sydney Opera House Disintegration footage. Wow, it's like it ages better over time 🍷

It strikes me about how the atmosphere of those shows feels so different to the atmosphere of big festival shows (I acknowledge I haven't yet seen them at a big festival, so basing that on footage viewed).
My personal feeling is that a small-medium sized venue feels like a better fit? Like that space allows them just to be, in a way that feels perhaps more contained, and potent as a result. (Rewatching Last Dance at SOH really struck me in that way).
Meanwhile when I've been watching the footage of the big festivals while it is AWESOME (!) there is something that doesn't feel quite as 'right' for me. It feels like such a huge space invites more effort on their part to try cover such a vast space, and some of the 'magic' then dissipates or something? 
I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking it.
Thoughts?
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

Ulrich

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on July 23, 2019, 15:12:10It strikes me about how the atmosphere of those shows feels so different to the atmosphere of big festival shows (I acknowledge I haven't yet seen them at a big festival, so basing that on footage viewed).

Of course it depends, but in general I myself do prefer the more "intimate" shows.

As Robert pointed out, on a big festival, they are "just one band among many" and need to win over the audience by playing some of the "hits".

Personally, I love music, but it gets too much for me at festivals, when so many bands play from 1pm to 11pm (or longer!)... Same goes for the "masses", they tend to go there not so much for the music, but more for the "partying" and so on.
Thus, I prefer going to a small club to see that one band I wanted to see with some others who are crazy enought to fork out money to see them.  :happy

I think you can make a personal experience at a "big" show as well, but it's probably easier in a more intimate setting.
The holy city breathed like a dying man...