the first album you ever bought..

Started by scatcat, April 10, 2008, 16:27:41

Previous topic - Next topic

splitmilk34

Led Zeppelin III ... or Aerosmith's "Toys in the Attic"
"... sleeping less every night"

Janko

SEEMS LIKE THE AGE OF 12 IS THE TIME TO START BUYING YOUR OWN ALBUMS...

:?
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

frog_s

Hahah this is funny, I bought my first record, well, single it was, when I was only 10 or something, and you see, I was into shortsighted pop, my musical taste was not so defined yet ahaha, the single was

Alicia Kease - I keep on falling
(I don't even know if I write her name well XD)

I feel like such a stupid, you guys all bought great records right away, with me it took a year or 2 :p

melly

The difference between a 10 year old and a 12-13 year old is quite enormous. At 10, you are still a kid, at 12-13 you (think) you are quite the grown-up, as you are entering those wonderful teen years!  I can't remember what I listened to at 10, hurts my brain to try and think about 40 years ago!! I can guarantee you though, it wouldn't have been any sort of "pop" music! So frog_s, don't feel silly, it was quite a "sophisticated" choice for a 10 year old!!
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

Janko

Quote from: melly on April 14, 2008, 04:49:41
The difference between a 10 year old and a 12-13 year old is quite enormous. At 10, you are still a kid, at 12-13 you (think) you are quite the grown-up, as you are entering those wonderful teen years!  I can't remember what I listened to at 10, hurts my brain to try and think about 40 years ago!! I can guarantee you though, it wouldn't have been any sort of "pop" music! So frog_s, don't feel silly, it was quite a "sophisticated" choice for a 10 year old!!

THATS RIGHT!
WHEN YOU'RE A KID, YOU'LL LISTEN ANYTHING THAT COMES YOUR WAY ON TV, RADIO,...

japanesebaby

Quote from: melly on April 14, 2008, 04:49:41

otherwise fully agreed, but personally i'd leave out the word "wonderful".
being 13 was utterly miserable and genuinely nothing but sheer torment, in six (=dozens!) of different ways. and i'd never ever want to re-live that time again. :x 
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Janko

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 14, 2008, 19:40:04
  in six  of different ways. 

:smth023

1) ACNE
2) ALWAYS GREASY HAIR
3) NEVER FITTING CLOTHES
4) LOVE FAILURES
5) SCHOOL TROUBLES
6) CRUMBLING FRIENDISHIPS AND BULLYS

:D

robiola

Well, on the topic of kiddie music...my son's first album when he was 8 (ok, he didn't buy it with his own money because he didn't have any, but he specifically requested it as a birthday present) was Californication , Red Hot Chili Peppers. And I got to hear it constantly, several times a day, for at least three months.  :roll:
(I must say I wouldn't have let him have it if he'd spoken English.....some of those lyrics...! :shock:)

melly

Quote from: Janko on April 14, 2008, 21:38:23
Quote from: japanesebaby on April 14, 2008, 19:40:04
  in six  of different ways. 

:smth023

1) ACNE
2) ALWAYS GREASY HAIR
3) NEVER FITTING CLOTHES
4) LOVE FAILURES
5) SCHOOL TROUBLES
6) CRUMBLING FRIENDISHIPS AND BULLYS

:D

I should have put "wonderful" in inverted commas, I was being a little sarcastic. Although, looking at Jankos list above, I think I came out of those years pretty well. None of the above related to me. A charmed life I must have lead!!
ScCCRREEECChhHHhhh....veering off topic again...sorry...

@Robiola..what a groovy little guy, wanting the Chillies!!
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

j

Ah...my first album that I purchased was on my 12th birthday in 1982.  Judas Priest, Screaming for Vengeance.

I think that was followed by The Cars, Candy-O

psichonaut

on cassette.....and my goff life started :-D
Thanks my Lord....i'm unbeliever

scatcat

Quote from: robiola on April 12, 2008, 23:32:00
Quote from: scatcat on April 11, 2008, 05:53:51
adam and the ants -kings of the wild frontier.!!  ;)

:smth017 Must have missed that one.
Although I have a vague recollection of a pretty cute guy singing "don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do? Goodie two shoes..." who I think was called Adam Ant... any relation?

yes.. the exact same one and only ( McLaren-formulated I'm sure) Adam Ant.. ( tried his hand at a serious actor decades later, , but bummed!)
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Steve

Surely you mean "bombed"???

Bummed tends to mean....er....something rather different. :shock:
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

japanesebaby

i've tried to think but i honestly can't remember.
i can very clearly remember almost all the stuff i had on cassettes back then in the beginning of time... i remember that very detailedly, all those silly "compilations tapes" that i used to do etc. but i think all my stuff was cassette copies made from friends' casettes, not originals. **) for the longest time i had all my music like this. i guess i never had any money to really buy anything myself(?). and/or i was also living in the middle of nowhere when i was a kid, far enough from all record stores so i didn't even have much possibilities to buy anything first hand. :? :oops:

**) ah all those lovely multigenerational cassette copies... :oops: i do remember how i had gotten so used to the generated sound on some tapes that i thought the albums were supposed to sound like that - and then later on i bought the original and it was a real disappointment to me, to listen to it and notice that it didn't sound anything at all like i recalled. i remember being annoyed and angry about that - even though i actually should have been happy that i actually got a rather huge upgrade there. :-P
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Janko

Quote from: scatcat on April 17, 2008, 17:29:12
adam and the ants -kings of the wild frontier.!!  ;)
Adam Ant.. ( tried his hand at a serious actor decades later, , but bummed!)

I LOVED THE SONG KILLER IN THE HOME  ITS AWESOME!!!
BY THE WAY, ADAM WENT (LITERALLY) MAD IN THE EARLY 90'S, CHECK HIS BIO...

:?