Sidney Pollack has died

Started by [labyrinth], May 27, 2008, 10:29:58

Previous topic - Next topic

[labyrinth]

May 27, 2008 -- LOS ANGELES -- Academy Award-winning director Sydney Pollack, a Hollywood mainstay who achieved commercial success and critical acclaim with the gender-bending comedy "Tootsie" and the period drama "Out of Africa" while often dabbling as a television and movie actor, has died. He was 73.

Pollack died of cancer Monday afternoon at his home in Pacific Palisades in Los Angeles, surrounded by family, said publicist Leslee Dart. Pollack had been diagnosed with cancer about nine months ago, said Dart.

Pollack, who occasionally appeared on the big screen himself, worked with and gained the respect of Hollywood's best actors in a long career that reached prominence in the 1970s and 1980s.

"Sydney made the world a little better, movies a little better and even dinner a little better. A tip of the hat to a class act," George Clooney said in a statement from his publicist.

"He'll be missed terribly," Clooney said.

Last fall, he played law firm boss Marty Bach opposite Clooney in "Michael Clayton," a drama that examines the life of fixer for lawyers. The film, which Pollack co-produced, received seven Oscar nominations, including for best picture and a best actor nod for Clooney. Tilda Swinton won the Oscar for supporting actress.

Pollack was no stranger to the Academy Awards. In 1986, "Out of Africa" a romantic epic of a woman's passion set against the landscape of colonial Kenya, captured seven Oscars, including best director and best picture.

In accepting his Oscar, Pollack commended Meryl Streep, who was nominated for best actress but didn't win.

"I could not have made this movie without Meryl Streep," Pollack said. "She is astounding - personally, professionally, all ways."

Over the years, several of his other films, including "Tootsie" and "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" got several nominations, including best director nods.

(nypost.com)

:(

japanesebaby

sad news indeed. :(

(strange because i was just thinking yesterday that i should really re-watch 'jeremiah johnson' one day soon, one of my absolute favorite movies: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068762/. i've loved that film since i was something like 6 or 7 years old.)

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

silversand

These are sad news  :(
I like the film "Tootsie".

coxoxi

dsanchez

An amazing actor (and director). I saw him for the first time in "Eyes wide shut". Then in "Husbands and wives" (directed by Woody Allen).

Then I saw some of the movies he did. "Three Days of the Condor" is an awesome movie (if you like spy movies you should watch it!) and of course "The Interpreter".
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo