New album out in may 2007

Started by Tof, December 06, 2006, 16:41:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Quote from: farquad92 on June 03, 2007, 01:10:34
kiss me was a double album and a perfect one; no filler.

I beg to differ.
Hey You was utter tripe & The Perfect Girl wasn't much better, let's be honest here.

Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

Bloodflower

Kiss Me is probably my third least-favourite Cure album, actually, beating out Three Imaginary Boys and The Cure for the top spot.

It's got some greats (The Kiss, If Only Tonight, Like Cockatoos, Icing Sugar), and some bads (Hey You!!!, The Perfect Girl, Fight). But it is probably a testament to the greatness of the band that even that I consider their third worst album as better than the vast majority of others' works.

And I'd be willing to bet money that Robert doesn't mean double-vinyl when he talks about the new album being a double. I'm expecting something around 90 to 100 minutes.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

Steve

Don't misunderstand me. KMKMKM is a great package (even greater when they re-mastered it).
Just seems to me that there are some lazy moments there & that's just my opinion.
I guess that by then, they had a huge fan base that expected to get some sugary pop, so they had to satisfy those folks too.
From my perspective, they are ideal opportunities to go & make a cup of tea or a quick sandwich  ;)
I must say, that Fight is (IMHO) one of the better tracks over-all.
Cheers
Steve

nausearockpig

Quote from: Steve on June 03, 2007, 09:36:39
I beg to differ.
Hey You was utter tripe & The Perfect Girl wasn't much better, let's be honest here.

Hmmmm.... No no no no no no no no no I have to disagree old mate, the bouncing bassline,  and sweet guitars both wah-wah and non wah-wah all give Hey You!!! a brightness and vibrance that clearly outshine the drab chant that is Fight... [I like the Brass too...] It's been so long that I refused to listen to Fight, that I can't remember when I last heard that awful track!!!

I have a duty to attend to right now, so I can't rant on about The Perfect Girl being better than Fight, but I have a similar train of thought for that too....

japanesebaby

Quote from: Oso Blanco on June 03, 2007, 00:14:48
What exactly does "double album" mean nowadays? Every album since "Paris" was a double album, and even before that they had "Show", "Wish", "Mixed Up" and "Kiss Me" all released as double albums.

Are they going to release a double CD now? I hope it's worth it!

now that's a very good question - "double album" is a format referring particularly to vinyl, "double cd" would be a different thing altogether. hmm. maybe it's just that the ol' man is still thinking in terms of vinyl? (since he's so damn old :-P)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Dillinger

i dont think double album refers to vinyl in 2007.

and hey you is great   :D

japanesebaby

Quote from: farquad92 on June 03, 2007, 12:47:06
surely not but i was just co-wondering what does it refer to then? i don't think the term 'double album' can be used the same way today as in the vinyl era: many old albums that used to be double albums actually ceased to be double albums in the days of CD format today, just like KMKMKM. so if RS says "double album" people shouldn't maybe straight up think of KMKMKM as a "model" and/or even faintly start expect something like it. it's just not the same concept anymore.
double albums today - meaning "double cds" - are there really such thing released today? there are certainly lots of 2 cd albums but often they are just albums with bonus discs etc. - but a real double cd release? of course it's perfectly possible to release something like it and maybe that's what RS really means there, but at least it's a huge task today...
so i also do hope it's worth it! (should we be scared huh?)

and hey you is great   :D
hey you is a silly song, surely not a 'great' cure tune. but it has its place in their oeuvre... and it can be kind of fun sometimes. :smth023
(yet the extended version sucks . because it got extended... it's supposed to be a short little thing (like all songs like that) so it becomes stupid and completely pointless when extended beyond its "natural lifespan".)

nausearockpig

I would suggest that by using the term "double-album" RS means a release that is longer [in time, not physical length in cm or inches :lol:] than that of a conventional 12" record [played at 33 1/3 RPM] but shorter than two of these same records - but that still fits on one standard 80 minute CD.

... Something along the lines of the Kiss Me record. They managed to get that onto one CD for the remaster but still it was 2 pieces of Old Black Stuff...

As Marika alluded, he probably still thinks in the "old ways", like a lot of people still do... I still call them records, even though most of the time, they're not...

Or then again maybe not. Maybe the reason the record's been delayed is that they're finishing up lots of tracks to give us 160 minutes [Use Your Illusion I/II anyone?] of guitar-laden songs that run the gamut of pure pop genuis all the way to gloomy "goth" rock [i think i ripped that off from a WMS pre-release sticker somewhere/sometime].....

oh sweet candy... let it be so....

And I must agree, there really is something not right about the extended remix of Hey You!!!..  I think it isn't as good as the original, it does extend what shouldn't be made longer....
Then thinking about it, which remixes are better than the originals?? hmmmmm.....???

Steve

Now THAT sounds like a thread of its own.

But Mr S must realise that a CD is classed as an album these days & so anything less than a dbl is going to disappoint right?
On the G&R reference. You must have been reading my mind their Javi  ;)
I wouldn't even mind if the cure did the same thing.
On the subject of Hey You, the extended version is terrible. As Marika pointed out, it is a silly song & should be left short (as short as possible).
I might be being controversial when I criticise it, but I am not really a fan of this style of Cure song & feel that given the past greats they have turned out, Hey You is a little bit......embarrassing.
Note I didn't get stuck into WCIBY. Again a bit goofy really, but I don't want to start a war  :-D
Cheers
Steve

Dillinger

i agree about hey you needing to be left short.

if im talking about a bands album il often refer to it as "their record" but i think theres a difference between that and saying we've made a double album. i think it'll be about 120 minutes over 2 cd's

strange_day

When Robert says double album im thinking probably 2 cds, about 45 mins on each maybe....
It would also explain the delay in getting it out

But it is possible, look at The Fragile by NIN. A double cd album that works really well...... if you think of it in those terms it sounds like a great idea!  8)

Bloodflower

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 03, 2007, 13:27:55
double albums today - meaning "double cds" - are there really such thing released today?

Aphex Twin - Drukqs
Ayreon - The Human Equation
Frank Black - Fast Man Raider Man
Kate Bush - Aerial
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_double_albums

The list takes into account both double CD and double LP releases, but they are noted as 2xLP / 2xCD.

Lots.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

japanesebaby

Quote from: Bloodflower on June 03, 2007, 19:31:34
Aphex Twin - Drukqs
Ayreon - The Human Equation
Frank Black - Fast Man Raider Man
Kate Bush - Aerial
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

haha and i even have several of those mentioned above - so ok i must be totally demented, to ever ask "do they really exist?" hahaha ;P

anyway, i still don't think double album counts as the same today as it did in the old days. 2xLP is a different format/concept than 2xCD. so i'm still not sure whether he's talking about having enough material to form an oldfashioned double album or about a more modern 2xCD release. it's not the same thing. anyway, i'll rest my case!

(maybe it's just that i've grown almost completely uninterested and ignorant what RS says in advance. i don't really care what he says, if he's talking about "putting together" or "finishing" a double album. because it still doesn't mean he's going to release it - or maybe he will but anyway, maybe not. of course i'm interested and not at all ignorant of the future release as such, but i guess i just don't really trust that guy too much anymore... haha. anyway, we'll see then... once it's released. if it's released... :-P)

Janko

THEN AGAIN, I THINK THE BAND DOESNT HAVE IT ANY MORE TO MAKE DOUBLE ALBUM!

:smth011
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

splitmilk34

They've taken plenty of time recording the new songs... I think the band has it in them to make this work very well. 
And, honestly, even if this double album has some filler on it I think it's pretty damn good that they're going to give us this much new music.  I was thinking the new album would be kind of like Bloodflowers (or even The Cure) where there are 8-11 tracks and the running time is just shy of 60mins.  I am really happy about this development...  :smth023
"... sleeping less every night"