At a show in Freiburg (Germany) in 1981, only 32 people turned up

Started by dsanchez, January 07, 2015, 11:32:06

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

While looking for info on the Dusseldorf Philipshalle 1981 gig, I found this interesting anecdote published by someone on YouTube. Of course, this would be unthinkable in 2014...

QuoteThis is quite a strange thing! Only then days previous to this show, they did a gig at Freiburg Germany and only 32 people went to see the show, this are the words of Robert Smith himself about this show " it was very hot and only 32 people turned up with the roadies, there was almost more of us than them! , i remember singing, sitting on the edge of the stage with my legs hanging down - i really liked that moment. After the gig we just jumped down and had a beer with the crowd!"
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

The quote (of Robert) is featured in the book "Ten Imaginary Years" (the only "official" biography book so far)*. As you can tell from this book and from bootlegs, the band wasn't popular everywhere back then. In some places, people knew "TIB" and maybe "17 Seconds", but the bleaker sound of the "Faith" era shocked some audiences, I think...

(*Btw, there was talk of a follow-up book "More Imaginary Years" around 1997, but it never appeared...)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...