Wish Remaster/Deluxe Edition?

Started by | SONA |, October 15, 2008, 20:00:23

Previous topic - Next topic

| SONA |

I may be in the minority but the "Wish" era is by far my favorite of the Cure's, and I'm dying for a Deluxe Edition re-release as they've done with the early records.  I'm new to the forum but couldn't find any info on if/when this might happen.  If it does, might all the amazing b-sides including Lost Wishes be included?  I'm more interested in having the whole era on a 2 disc set including b-sides rather then demos etc. (although those would be be cool too).  I ripped my Lost Wishes tape to mp3 and it's amazing how muddled it sounds!

japanesebaby

hi there and welcome to curefans.com.

Quote from: | SONA | on October 15, 2008, 20:00:23
I'm new to the forum but couldn't find any info on if/when this might happen. 

the 4tour tourbook said the albums from 'disintegration' to 'paris' were scheduled for 2008 and wms and bloodflowers for 2009 (see for instance here see --> http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,4244.msg41171.html#msg41171)

i just "might" have some doubts that this will happen though, with the new album obviously having taken all the focus...
so perhaps the deluxe "project" will continue sometime 2009 at the earliest? or 2010? 2011? 20...  :? :lol:
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Janko

I think if the new album does good, we wont see the remasters soon...

at least not in 2009/2010

methinks

;)
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

| SONA |

That's bad news!  Why does the new record effect the release of these deluxe editions?  Is R. Smith the primary person working on these?  Has anyone discussed what might be included on such a deluxe edition?  The others have been primarily demos, but I want the complete Wish sessions!  A booming, crisp version of Apart or Elise or Off To Sleep would be incredible!

ExplicitMoment

I would imagine it will be a while before we see any more remasters/deluxe editions. Robert Smith has been very closely involved in both the remastering process and the compiling of the bonus material, and with the new album coming out he's going to be kept rather busy with touring and promoting that. Factor in the possible "dark album" companion that is supposed to follow "4:13 Dream", then it may well be a few years before Robert has the time to focus on the remaining albums to be remastered.

It's a shame, but I'd rather they were releasing new material than re-releasing the old stuff.

Janko

Quote from: | SONA | on October 15, 2008, 22:03:22
Why does the new record effect the release of these deluxe editions?  

Remasters and reissues and repackagings are the stuff bands do when they don't have any new product. And also, I heard there's gonna be a Blu Ray version of Trilogy soon. So I guess it's all on the table...

:smth023

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

pyota

Quote from: | SONA | on October 15, 2008, 20:00:23
I may be in the minority but the "Wish" era is by far my favorite of the Cure's, and I'm dying for a Deluxe Edition re-release as they've done with the early records.  I'm new to the forum but couldn't find any info on if/when this might happen.  If it does, might all the amazing b-sides including Lost Wishes be included?  I'm more interested in having the whole era on a 2 disc set including b-sides rather then demos etc. (although those would be be cool too).  I ripped my Lost Wishes tape to mp3 and it's amazing how muddled it sounds

b-sides are already on join the dots so i doubt they will be on the remaster. besides lost wishes (which will be great to have on cd since i don't have a tape player anymore), the bonus disc may contain open (fix mix), high (trip mix) instrumental big hand (from picture show video), secret gig versions of wendy time, away etc. from play out , and hopefully some unreleased songs.

i'm looking forward to the disintegration remaster more. apparently its going to have new remixes of all the songs. hopefully robert doesn't screw it up!

| SONA |

Both Disintegration and Wish will be amazing Deluxe versions... too bad it will be forever until we get them... Are the b-sides in Join The Dots remastered?  I didn't bother since I have all the singles anyway.  Lost Wishes, remastered on CD will be unbelievable.

ExplicitMoment

Yes Join the Dots has remastered versions of the b-sides

| SONA |

Just bought Join The Dots finally... the tunes do sound better, and I didn't have a couple of those early tracks or the Doing The Unstuck remix which is cool... but this set still doesn't have some of the b-sides from Wish like the incredible alternate mixes of Friday I'm In Love, High or A Letter To Elise... and there's no Lost Wishes which needs to not only be made digital, but remastered as well...

japanesebaby

Quote from: | SONA | on October 17, 2008, 04:04:28
but this set still doesn't have some of the b-sides from Wish like the incredible alternate mixes of Friday I'm In Love, High or A Letter To Elise...

if there ever was one rule about all these various "complete" box sets and compilations (whatever the band in question), it seems to be that they are never complete but there's always something missing. thanks to the record company policies, i suppose...

about remastered material: sadly, remastering doesn't always mean the sound got better - especially when remastering is being done according to the production standards of today (which are simply quite low, sadly).
'join the dots' was actually mastered well and therefore it sounds good (see the attachment: it looks healthy with no digital distortion on the waveform and therefore it's a pleasure for the ears). but what comes to the upcoming deluxe releases, i'm slightly afraid of the results as recently the cure has proven not to care about quality sound anymore.
i'll be surprised if 'disintegration' and 'wish' sound any better in their remastered form (it's truly hard to beat the late 80's/early 90's productions!). the only thing that makes them really interesting are the bonus discs. 'lost wishes' would be nice to hear in good quality, hopefully there'd be some unreleased tracks too. 
about later albums: WMS could actually be made sound notably better than the '96 cd version if it was mastered like 'disintegration' and 'wish' originally were. and i wouldn't want to sound negative on purpose but i just really doubt it that it'll remastered well. but let's hope for the best!

wish-man

Quote from: pyota on October 16, 2008, 17:49:03
besides lost wishes (which will be great to have on cd since i don't have a tape player anymore), the bonus disc may contain open (fix mix), high (trip mix) instrumental big hand (from picture show video), secret gig versions of wendy time, away etc. from play out

Well, I can organize for you a 'special' deluxe edition, as we (I am at least) have all these songs and moreover in FLAC  :roll:
I'm waiting for something more...

Quote from: pyota on October 16, 2008, 17:49:03
i'm looking forward to the disintegration remaster more

Yes. It would be much interestingly than Wish IMHO  :-D

At least 3 demos of Disintegration ERA we have (Lovesong Lullaby & Pictures Of You)

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 17, 2008, 08:14:04
about remastered material: sadly, remastering doesn't always mean the sound got better - especially when remastering is being done according to the production standards of today (which are simply quite low, sadly).
'join the dots' was actually mastered well and therefore it sounds good (see the attachment: it looks healthy with no digital distortion on the waveform and therefore it's a pleasure for the ears). but what comes to the upcoming deluxe releases, i'm slightly afraid of the results as recently the cure has proven not to care about quality sound anymore.
i'll be surprised if 'disintegration' and 'wish' sound any better in their remastered form (it's truly hard to beat the late 80's/early 90's productions!). the only thing that makes them really interesting are the bonus discs. 'lost wishes' would be nice to hear in good quality, hopefully there'd be some unreleased tracks too. 
about later albums: WMS could actually be made sound notably better than the '96 cd version if it was mastered like 'disintegration' and 'wish' originally were. and i wouldn't want to sound negative on purpose but i just really doubt it that it'll remastered well. but let's hope for the best!

absolutely agree...  :smth023
and the way the rain comes down thats how I feel inside...

| SONA |

Quote from: wish-man on October 17, 2008, 16:33:31

Well, I can organize for you a 'special' deluxe edition, as we (I am at least) have all these songs and moreover in FLAC  :roll:
I'm waiting for something more...

I took my lost wishes from my tape to lossless AIFF and it's just the crappy tape that makes it sound muddled... A digital version would be my most wanted Cure release... and remastered would be nice too... The Join The Dots remasters of Play and all the other b-side sound much crisper, louder and some levels are much stronger... noticeable most on drums... definitely an improvement... you get all the genius early 90's production with a bit better sound.

japanesebaby

Quote from: | SONA | on October 17, 2008, 16:56:59
I took my lost wishes from my tape to lossless AIFF and it's just the crappy tape that makes it sound muddled...

i don't have the original lost wishes tape and haven't bothered trying to get one from ebay etc., because one cannot really trust what shape those tapes are in (they might be just as muffled as all the transfers i've heard so far, i never heard a really good sounding version - so perhaps those original analog tape copies are/were rather muffled too? i don't know).
anyway it would be sort of unnecessary to purchase an old analog copy now, before checking out the upcoming deluxe release first. and if the remastered version sucked for some reason, then i might try to get an original analog tape - lwith luck the ebay prices for the original tapes would have also plummeted down a bit by that time, thanks to the remastered release being available.

Quote from: | SONA | on October 17, 2008, 16:56:59
The Join The Dots remasters of Play and all the other b-side sound much crisper, louder and some levels are much stronger... noticeable most on drums... definitely an improvement... you get all the genius early 90's production with a bit better sound.

the join the dots remasters are really pretty good, imo. not pushed to the limit yet.
let's hope the upcoming deluxe releases can reach the same level too.  :smth023

pyota

the unplugged version of letter to elise would also be nice to have on the bonus disc. imo its much better than the overproduced album/single versions. although the last time i saw it live it came off quite well, it should be an acoustic song!