The Jokela school shooting

Started by dsanchez, November 07, 2007, 20:27:54

Previous topic - Next topic

melly

Whilst we are still reeling from yet another tragedy sparked by one persons' actions, it was interesting to me, to hear my Mum ( in her 80th year) comment about "the world gone mad". I gently reminded her that infact, she, my Dad and all their brothers and sisters witnessed and were forced to become involved in one of the worlds greatest atrocities, the second world war.( They were all born in the U.K.) Millions of innocent people lost, thousands of them led to their death just because they were of a specific race. All started by one man.
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

japanesebaby

unfortunately it's not even a joke:

http://www.westborobaptistchurch.com/fliers/nov2007/20071108_nine-dead-finns.pdf

these things always activate the fundamentalists, it's so freaking sad. and it's alwasy the same: remember how they started to accuse marilyn manosn after columbine massacre? now there's already rather heated discussion in finland about how the music that the shooter was listening to affected him - even the finnish national broadcasting company YLE has made such references through one of their programs/editors, how the fact that the shooter listeend to a black metal band called Impaled nazarrine had directly something to do with this. that's so childish. i can somehow understand (or "understand" - i don't really understand it but i have to accept it because it always happens anyway) some idiotic tabloids doing that, but i've really lost some of my respect towards YLE now. as a national broadcasting company they should know their responsibility a lot better.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

scatcat

japanesebaby was that link for real?? from what I could only glance at, because it was filled with such rubbish and I just can't believe it! Did that come from a church group? Am I mistaken? Please tell me I am.
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

japanesebaby

yeah i'm afraid it's very real. these guys are pretty notorious i think - according to them, pretty much everything is god's punishment for gays. now they have unquestionable proof that finnish people are nothing but sodomites who are being punished for their filthy sins. ok...

http://www.westborobaptistchurch.com/

some of the links on that site could actually be taken as being just some bad jokes, if one didn't know any better. like www.godhatesmexico.com:

"WBC Thanks God For 900,000 People Made Homeless By Flooding In Mexico

Viva La Flooding- See This Article About The Flooding Done To Evil Mexico"

but since they are actually being serious with all that...  :smth095

(i think especially their sign saying "god hates you" is pretty unreal - wow. i always thought jesus tried to teach us poor stubborn folks to love each other, but i guess i must have gotten it all wrong. i'm pretty sure he hates us all. just like his dad.)

Cure Freak

Unfortunately, we dont' live in a  world where the sun always shines  or where the birds always sing. Or a  world without violence, hatred or racism.

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on November 11, 2007, 16:46:41
Bad news :smth011
Police Arrest 16-year-old for Threatening Internet Video

it's a pretty serious crime. a person can face several years of imprisonment for doing such a thing, even if it was a joke like the boy says.  :smth011

Quote from: dsanchez on November 11, 2007, 16:46:41
Good news :smth001
Finland to toughen gun laws after school massacre

i don't mind that at all.
although i have to add the information on this site is not exactly comprehensive and might give a bit distorted impression. because it says:
Finnish law currently allows 15-year-olds to own guns.
this is true but it does NOT mean similar gun ownership rights as for instance in america. yes, 15 year-old can only own a license to handle a gun for instance on cases like being part of a hunting party or as taking part in a sport team (after all, various shooting events are part of olympics too as we know). but it is NOT possible here that a 15 year-old can go and just buy a hand gun just like that. one needs to apply for a license from the police.

i don't want to (and i don't need to) defend our laws because it's a fact that we still have too many guns. that's true. but i say this because people seem to think it's just as easy to get a gun here as in america and that any gun-crazy person can get a gun at will - because it's not quite like that. the finnish gunlaws have allowed 15 year-olds to handle guns mostly because there's been a very long tradition of hunting in finland. otherwise the gun laws have actually been pretty strict here, if one really compares it to other countries.

dsanchez

German Police Close School After Internet Alert

Germany is getting jumpy about school shootings. Police on Tuesday closed the second school in two days after receiving an Internet warning about a possible rampage being planned there. They have cautiously sounded the all clear.

:?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

scatcat

I haven't watched the news for a while, so I'm not sure what's going on in the U.S., but, I saw a news flash saying that the U.S. Supreme Court is going to revise the gun situation in their country.  :smth023
Is this correct? Can anyone from the U.S. clarify what's going on? Has a recent or past event riggered this court action?
I know it is part of the constitution to bear arms..and have the right to defend themselves.. I hope that this can be changed.. to make a safer community and lay down arms, like here, to set an example.. we don't need to shoot one another!!

:rocker
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

melly

Japanesebaby...you say that 15 year olds can apply for a gun license through the police. At what age are your young ones legally allowed to ..drive...vote...drink alcohol? I am just curious as to what age your government deems teenagers to be "adults". Here in South Oz, to drive they must be (I think) 16 and a half to start off with,and are on Learners license, where they must have a fully qualified driver with them at all times. After a period of time, they can apply for and have a test to gain the "Probationary" licence, where there is zero tolerance to alcohol whilst driving and they must be on the 'P's" for (I think!) a couple of years or close to it.  Then, they can have another test to gain the full licence (.05 alcohol tolerance). To vote and legally drink alcohol, they must be 18..( of course the alcohol thing is always laughed at, but to BUY alcohol you must be 18) Fifteen seems so young to be able to handle a gun, in spite of a hunting tradition. I am not having a go at your country or traditions, not at all...just interested why the government deems a 15 year old mature enough to get their hands on a gun! And to all you 15 year olds out there swearing at me..."sticks and stones"..  ;)
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

Jozef

Quote from: japanesebaby on November 10, 2007, 16:37:28
yeah i'm afraid it's very real. these guys are pretty notorious i think - according to them, pretty much everything is god's punishment for gays. now they have unquestionable proof that finnish people are nothing but sodomites who are being punished for their filthy sins. ok...

http://www.westborobaptistchurch.com/

some of the links on that site could actually be taken as being just some bad jokes, if one didn't know any better. like www.godhatesmexico.com:

"WBC Thanks God For 900,000 People Made Homeless By Flooding In Mexico

Viva La Flooding- See This Article About The Flooding Done To Evil Mexico"

but since they are actually being serious with all that...  :smth095

(i think especially their sign saying "god hates you" is pretty unreal - wow. i always thought jesus tried to teach us poor stubborn folks to love each other, but i guess i must have gotten it all wrong. i'm pretty sure he hates us all. just like his dad.)

Ugh, those people disgust me. I can't even read the garbage they spit out without cringing.  :smth011

japanesebaby

Tof

Tof

silversand

These are sad news :(
The world is really strange sometimes.
Poor family members and friends of the victims :(
My deepest sympathy.

dsanchez

video from the shooter