alwaysprayingforRAIN

i agree. i would say it's 'Thank you very much and good night!'

where are they from ?
Say hello on a day like today
Say it every time you move
The way that you look at me now
Makes me wish i was you

japanesebaby

i think he unfortunately does very clearly say "chile", certainly not "goodnight":

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,5871.msg66381.html
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

alwaysprayingforRAIN

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 16, 2009, 07:41:22
i think he unfortunately does very clearly say "chile", certainly not "goodnight":

honestly i don't hear that, but that would be pretty embarrassing!!
Say hello on a day like today
Say it every time you move
The way that you look at me now
Makes me wish i was you

dsanchez

you're doing the same mistake as the press by just refering to another info without seeing/listening the video above

Depeche Mode rep denies singer made slip in Peru
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iwC197AQpc3sc5fErudf2TWHMDOwD9BBRLNO1
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on October 16, 2009, 11:51:51

you're doing the same mistake as the press by just refering to another info without seeing/listening the video above

Depeche Mode rep denies singer made slip in Peru
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iwC197AQpc3sc5fErudf2TWHMDOwD9BBRLNO1

of course they deny it - it's too embarrassing to admit.
and sorry but i DID watch the video, and i certainly don't hear "good night", not at all. (and by the way the video clip you posted is exactly the same as i that press site, so i thik they watched/listened it too before writing anything. they linked to the video themselves).

anyway, i trust brian's ears, he's a native english speaker. :)

if DM would release soundboards from this tour they'd need to edit out that line out and copy/paste it from some other show before releasing this gig. ;)

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 16, 2009, 13:43:39

Brian just posted a link from pollstar in another thread about this thing, I didn't see his comment in THIS thread. So we don't know if he ever saw this video, do we?

All the DM fans (english speakers) in the official forum stated that it's clear he said "....good night".

And for your info, the news was spreaded from a peruvian (or chilean) newspapper, based in comments of native spanish speakers (southamerican fans) posted in facebook and twitter. They didn't even take the time to verify this information with someone who really speak english.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

relax david. i think brian's post (as well as mine) was just meant to be humorous, not taken so very seriously. i mean, it's just a slip that a singer of one band might have made, not anything more important than that.
take it easy. why couldn't there be some humor in this? if he had made the same slip in finland and called us norwegians and whether or not the slip was found genuine or not, i certainly would have laughed at the news anyway.

have a smile. :)

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 16, 2009, 14:02:09
relax david. i think brian's post (as well as mine) was just meant to be humorous, not so serious. and it's just a slip that a singer of one band might have made, not anything more important than that.
take it easy, no need to be so serious. why couldn't there be some humor in this?

you would have to know the history of southamerica to understand that these kind of things (even small things like these) make people susceptible, specially when we talk about Peru and Chile.

but besides that, I just asked a clear and simple question, and wanted to know if people can see the video and tell their opinion. this discussion is not going in that direction.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on October 16, 2009, 14:08:58
relax david. i think brian's post (as well as mine) was just meant to be humorous, not so serious. and it's just a slip that a singer of one band might have made, not anything more important than that.
take it easy, no need to be so serious. why couldn't there be some humor in this?

you would have to know the history of southamerica to understand that these kind of things (even small things like these) make people susceptible, specially when we talk about Peru and Chile.

but besides that, I just asked a clear and simple question, and wanted to know if people can see the video and tell their opinion. this discussion is not going in that direction.

i'm not so ignorant about that kid of things - it happens elsewhere too than just i south-america, if you start reading a bit (like my post above, i mentioned some nationalities too - hint).
but still, i could try and take it humorously, whatever history there was: because at its worst it was JUST an innocent slip by some singer in a band. not something that would start a war or something (slips like that can happen too).

like said, just take it easy - smiLe, don't smiTe. :)

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 16, 2009, 13:43:39if DM would release soundboards from this tour they'd need to edit out that line out and copy/paste it from some other show before releasing this gig. ;)

Actually, they are doing this, but not for every show. Lima does not seem to be one of them:

http://www.depechemodelive.com

I know they were having some issues with venues that demand royalties from any recordings made on their property (i.e., Madison Square Garden), but I don't know what the case was here.

Anyway, to me it's very obvious that he says "Thank you, goodnight."  I would bet any amount of money on it.

I've heard quite a few live recordings of theirs, and he says this quite a lot, in the same way. It would have been funnier if he did say something about Chile, though.

But how come no one has mentioned that rubber-monkey arms stuff that Mr. Gahan is doing the beginning of that video?  Talk about embarrassing. I saw this first thing and the morning and I have to say it made me rather uncomfortable.  :oops:

Perhaps Depeche Mode is a band that is better to be heard, but not seen.  8)

dsanchez

Quote from: lostflower4 on October 16, 2009, 22:14:15
Anyway, to me it's very obvious that he says "Thank you, goodnight."  I would bet any amount of money on it.

If the press would have done this so simply question -of course to people whose mother tongue was english- everything would have been very easy. Altought it seems to be a "little" incident it has created bad feelings in many people.

Thanks dude for your view! :smth023

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

But how come no one has mentioned that rubber-monkey arms stuff that Mr. Gahan is doing the beginning of that video?  Talk about embarrassing.

:smth043

i would have said it but i was afraid i'd just get bashed on. rubber-monkey arms heheheee :lol:

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 17, 2009, 00:06:17
But how come no one has mentioned that rubber-monkey arms stuff that Mr. Gahan is doing the beginning of that video?  Talk about embarrassing.

:smth043

i would have said it but i was afraid i'd just get bashed on. rubber-monkey arms heheheee :lol:

I mean seriously, WTF???

How does he even do that?

But more importantly:  Why does he do that?  ???

crowbi_wan

Quote from: dsanchez on October 16, 2009, 13:49:17
Quote from: japanesebaby on October 16, 2009, 13:43:39

Brian just posted a link from pollstar in another thread about this thing, I didn't see his comment in THIS thread. So we don't know if he ever saw this video, do we?

relax david. i think brian's post (as well as mine) was just meant to be humorous, not taken so very seriously. i mean, it's just a slip that a singer of one band might have made, not anything more important than that.
take it easy. why couldn't there be some humor in this? if he had made the same slip in finland and called us norwegians and whether or not the slip was found genuine or not, i certainly would have laughed at the news anyway.

have a smile. :)

Well, since my name and ears are being tossed about here, I feel I must chime in. 

First, I didn't see this thread.  Was just over looking at concert listing on Pollstar, saw that headline, and came over here to post the link in the DM thread.  I hadn't listened to the audio clip in question until now.  Sorry, but I can't tell what he says.  Not sure my ears are the best ones to be deciphering Mr. Gahan anyway.  At the end of Never Let Me Down Again in Seattle, it sounds like Dave says "Thank you very much.  Goodnight, Taco!"   :smth081