IRiver - IHP-120 Rockbox settings

Started by dsanchez, August 27, 2007, 15:50:21

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Guys,

As you know I've got this IRiver a couple of months ago in Ebay. I'm going this saturday to see a shoegazing band from Chicago (Airiel) here in Lima and will tape the show. In my recording settings (when I press the "recording" option) I have for default the following info:

Gain: 8.0 dB
AGC: Medium 45.0 dB

Wonder if it's ok. The first time I did use this IRiver (I didn't have it rockboxed), the show was recorded with too much volumen and it was spoiled (saturated), I don't want this happen again.

Any recommendation will be appreciated.

Cheers

David.

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Well, I think your last recording came out that way because your mics couldn't handle the sound pressure levels.

But I'd definitely turn the automatic gain control (AGC) completely off. It's not something you need, and it will limit the dynamic range or your recording, which is a bad thing.

I can't really speak for any of the other settings, as I've never used one of these before.

rjl

Yes, if AGC = some kind of auto-gain or auto-levels, definitely kill it!

You should manage the levels themselves...

And if you are having a high-SPL issue, get a battery box - powering mic's increases their ability to handle higher-SPL situations - and some battery boxes come with a level potentiometer (dial/resistor, etc.), so you can manually set your levels - so they don't clip, but are loud enough...

j

Wait for his royal Crow-i-ness to chime in on this one.  I bought an iRiver as a back up and Brian was extremely helpful in getting it set up.