Music for Dreams

Started by revolt, July 16, 2008, 12:07:07

Previous topic - Next topic

revolt

Does anyone know what the title 'Music for Dreams' really refers to? I seem to remember Robert having mentioned once in an interview that it was the title for a second The Glove album, that he and Steve Severin actually managed to record but never released (the tapes supposedly were with Severin). However I don't have that interview with me nowadays and memory could be playing tricks on me.

My doubts also come from the fact that in http://thecure.8m.com/info.html it is mentioned that 'Music for Dreams' "is said to be an instrumental/solo album that Robert has done/will do".

Descent

Robert talked about this second Glove album (that stayed unfinished) in 1985. He said a possible title for it was "Music For Dreams" as the songs were instrumentals. Later, that title was used here and there as a working title (I remember reading about an instrumental album after Disintegration). The same way, he had "Wild Mood Swings" as a working title for years for a solo album too. I guess he had a list of titles but none could be revelant until an actual release.

revolt

Here is what I found at http://ekwimmer.blogspot.com/2007/10/10-questions-with-steven-severin.html

Question: "One of my favorite records of all time is Blue Sunshine by The Glove, did you ever consider another album with Robert Smith and Jeanette Landray?"

Severin answer: "Robert and I discussed "Glove 2" last year when we remastered the original album and the extra disc. Robert was "not allowed" to sing on Blue Sunshine ~ that's why we asked Landray. If "Glove 2" happens it would be just the 2 of us as God/The Devil intended".

So, there's has actually been some talking about a possible 2nd The Glove album. Would this be 'Music for Dreams' in a finished / updated form or something completely different? This could be very interesting.

Lostflowerboy

A second Glove album with Robert singing would be awesome.
Oh, could somebody mash up Roberts singing of the bonus disc with the original album (without the female vocals)? That would make my day. :smth023

revolt

Quote from: Lostflowerboy on July 23, 2008, 12:59:58
A second Glove album with Robert singing would be awesome.
Oh, could somebody mash up Roberts singing of the bonus disc with the original album (without the female vocals)? That would make my day. :smth023

What's wrong with Jeanette Landray's vocals? The issue here is, if those songs had been released with Robert singing they would probably sound too much like the Cure... And the purpose of all this side project thing was to do something that would sound different from both The Cure and The Banshees.
Anyway, even if I really like the songs Jeanette sings, my favourite tracks from that album are instrumentals. 'Relax', for example, is really massive and it was actually used by The Cure as an intro to their shows, in the 1985-1986 period, if I'm not mistaken.

KingOfSomeIsland

Quote from: revolt on July 23, 2008, 14:16:35'Relax', for example, is really massive and it was actually used by The Cure as an intro to their shows, in the 1985-1986 period, if I'm not mistaken.

Yup ;) In fact I think it even played on In Orange

Lostflowerboy

I think these songs still don't sound like The Cure if Robert sings them (like on the bonus disk). In terms of songwriting and instrumentation they're far away from everything released under the name The Cure.
And the reason why Jeanette sings wasn't "to create a different sound", but legal matters.

Lostflowerboy

But I agree about "Relax": Great song, "A blues in a drag" too. :smth023

Descent

Quote from: revolt on July 23, 2008, 10:56:24
So, there's has actually been some talking about a possible 2nd The Glove album. Would this be 'Music for Dreams' in a finished / updated form or something completely different? This could be very interesting.

My guess is that the extras on Blue Sunshine remaster (Opened The Box (A Waltz), the Tightrope, And All Around Us The Mermaids Sang, Holiday 80) were actually those instrumentals (Glove2's unfinished project) Robert Smith talked about in 1985. Basically just demos to which vocals were added for some of them.

Before that remaster came out two years ago, Robert and Steve met and thought "maybe one day again" because of the nostalgia. But it's unlikely to happen for real I think.

revolt

Quote from: Lostflowerboy on July 24, 2008, 08:29:01
And the reason why Jeanette sings wasn't "to create a different sound", but legal matters.

Legal matters!? Can you explain that? Because Robert does sing in 2 songs of the album ('Mr. Alphabet Says' and 'Perfect Murder').

revolt

Quote from: Descent on July 24, 2008, 11:38:36
Quote from: revolt on July 23, 2008, 10:56:24

My guess is that the extras on Blue Sunshine remaster (Opened The Box (A Waltz), the Tightrope, And All Around Us The Mermaids Sang, Holiday 80) were actually those instrumentals (Glove2's unfinished project) Robert Smith talked about in 1985. Basically just demos to which vocals were added for some of them.

Before that remaster came out two years ago, Robert and Steve met and thought "maybe one day again" because of the nostalgia. But it's unlikely to happen for real I think.

Well, 'The Tightrope' actually already appeared in the un-remastered CD version of the album that was available in the 90's... Also 'Mouth to Mouth' and an alternate version of 'Like an Animal'. These were the only 3 extra-tracks, which makes me think that 'Tightrope' comes from the 'Blue Sunshine' sessions, not from the second album...

Descent

You're right about the Tightrope. I just copied and pasted the bonus list without checking.  :? So all I said applies to the other 3 demos which are quite minimal (They're just sketches...)

revolt

Quote from: Lostflowerboy on July 24, 2008, 08:29:01
I think these songs still don't sound like The Cure if Robert sings them (like on the bonus disk). In terms of songwriting and instrumentation they're far away from everything released under the name The Cure.

Here is what is written at http://www.picturesofyou.us/siouxsie/SIOUX-thefilephasetwoissuefourfrontcover.htm :

"One point Robert did make clear was that he didn't want to sing because he feared that the overall sound of the songs would bear to much similarity to those he recorded with The Cure."

I have found this kind of comment in other articles and I'm pretty sure there must be an interview somewhere with the exact words Robert has said on this matter...

Lostflowerboy

The instrumental of "All around us the mermaids sing" called "Tormented" was available at Severins mp3.com page some years ago. Think he called it a leftover from the Blue Sunshine-Sessions.

Concerning the legal matters: Robert was allowed to sing on only two songs of the project by Chris Parry. The whole story is printed in the booklet of the Deluxe Version.

robmead

Music For Dreams is an "album" of 14 instrumental songs, they are played as warm ups before Cure shows. Robert said they are not good enough to be officially released but, they may be made available online.
Well, they are already available online, I have them !

Tracklist:
Swing
Off To Sleep
Boon
HK
Bastard
T-8
Porl's
Miss van Gogh
Now's The Time
T-7
Old Scotland