New Robert Smith interview in RS (Oct. 2019)

Started by Ulrich, October 19, 2019, 11:53:06

Previous topic - Next topic

piggymirror

Quote from: SueC on October 22, 2019, 16:46:13I think it's great that Robert Smith isn't rash-inducing onstage.

Yeah, the problem's only when he's not onstage. :D :D :D

piggymirror

Quote from: SueC on October 23, 2019, 00:43:14(Brett says:  "He's wrong.  In actual fact, the universe revolves around me."  :rofl )

Anderson?

Quote from: SueC on October 23, 2019, 00:43:14I have this general consumer awareness of not wanting to sponsor deleterious things with my money wherever I can avoid it (and often it's unfortunately hard to avoid it).  I apply those ideas to the purchasing of music as well.  So when I found myself thoroughly impressed after listening to the album Bloodflowers on my husband's iPod five years ago (it's an album you can listen to all the way through, and then immediately start again, like a good album used to be when albums were a thing pre music-on-tap), I needed to apply the usual testing to help me decide whether to trawl through their extensive back catalogue as well, purchasing more albums in the process.

So, a good way to do an a-hole test is to read / look at interviews with people in a band.  It's part of my "job interview" for the job of someone putting more of their CDs on my shelf.  First of all, I have to really really like a CD - and then, to assure myself I'm not going to sponsor a-holes.  You can generally tell overt a-hole-ness by the lyrics, but sometimes it can slip under the radar.  Like with The Killing Moon, I was unprepared for encountering the "worship me" attitudes the Bunnymen lead singer has.  :evil:

How can you tell?
I mean, do bad or too commercial lyrics tend to mean a-hole-ness?

I mean, can you give some other examples?

I have it in good faith Peter Hook is not very well liked behind the scenes...

SueC

Are you here to stir, @piggymirror?  You'll have to stir on your own - I'm not playing.

And be careful when you point your finger at people - count how many are pointing back at you.

I'm not interested in engaging in negative stuff like this.  Everyone has flaws and it's best to sweep in front of your own doorstep first.

Your questions are non sequitur re what I wrote and I won't be engaging until you have something more thoughtful or positive to contribute.
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

I'd like to draw a line here, because such questions will undeniably lead to "off-topic" discussions:

Quote from: piggymirror on December 09, 2019, 02:32:39I mean, can you give some other examples?

It's okay to mention other artists in context, but it shouldn't "take over" the topic.

And another thing:

Quote from: piggymirror on October 22, 2019, 05:42:48I can assure you that he REALLY is a pain in the arse when he starts.

Note: I am not disclosing absolutely anything else.

If that's the case, then please stop chattting about it! Otherwise obviously people will want to know more.
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

And if someone asked me, "Why exactly do you think X/Y/Z?" I'd be happy to discuss it (if it fitted the thread - or another thread could be started), but this constant slur and innuendo, and the name-calling, just makes me want to throw up.  I can't see how that can lead to a productive, enjoyable discussion.

Anyway, I enjoyed the interview, and thanks for linking to it, @Ulrich:smth023
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on December 10, 2019, 00:35:57and the name-calling, just makes me want to throw up.

Uh-erm, it was you who was going on about "a-holeness" (as can be clearly seen in the quote)! :neutral-face
But let's not go into that any more. Back to topic.
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Yeah, I don't wish to quibble, but I was talking about a quality of people treating others like dirt etc, in a generic sense (when using the term a-holeness) - rather than applying an epithet to any one person in particular.  But your point is taken.  Next time I'll try to phrase that differently.  Anyway, back to topic, and rephrasing with point in mind: I just found it nice that the vast majority of the time I see people from The Cure interviewed, they are well-mannered and don't come across as "up here" talking to people "down there" or as having enormously inflated opinions of themselves or as having no empathy for others, etc.  And then by contrast, there's these completely grating "I'm-a-big-rock-star-worship-me" and "hooray for me, to hell with everyone else" types etc, which means I won't be funding those types if I see that, even if I actually like some of their music - you get that in some politicians too, but they don't have music for sale.  ;)

What about you, @Ulrich - do you ever not buy music because you don't want to fund someone's attitude?  Do you prefer to give your money to better causes?  Do you read interviews before you leap in and start buying the back catalogue?  And conversely, have you ever bought albums and then seen someone interviewed and thought, "OMG!!!!"?
(Feel free to move this to another topic if you think it's warranted.)
SueC is time travelling