The Cure and PUNK

Started by ~*CherryRed*~, August 21, 2007, 01:51:53

Previous topic - Next topic

~*CherryRed*~

Oi!
I've been a Cure fan since my school days. I also enjoy punk music. (I should point out here that I really only like the 'old school' English punk) I wondered how many people have stumbled across other bands like Siousxie & The Banshees through their love of The Cure. There is a bloke named Pete Frame that does brilliant hand drawn family trees, and I personally stumbled across S&TB in this way... which in turn lead me into other punk bands such as The Sex Pistols, The Buzzcocks, The Pretenders etc...

below is taken from Wikipedia;

[[Pete Frame is a music journalist, best known for producing intricately-detailed outlines of the history of rock bands for various magazines. He founded and edited the seminal English Alternative Rock magazine ZigZag from April 1969 until the late '70's, was an A&R man for B&C Charisma Records, and manager of Starry Eyed and Laughing. Two collected volumes of these Rock Family Trees have been published, and several were used as the basis for a BBC Television series (named "Rock Family Trees") in the 1990s. He is also author of "Rockin' Around Britain"]]

So has anyone else formed a love of all things punk-ish, as I have through The Cure. Let's not forget songs like Meathook and So What - thats punk if ever I heard!! The fact that The Cure have moved away from their 'roots' is neither here nor there really...
"prone to flights of whimsy"

Carnage Visor

YES! YES! I love The Cure's punky side, and I actually view them as a punk band, especially Simon's badass look around the time of "Pronography" with the big hair and the leather vests...Robert too!

I love bands like TSOL, Siouxsie and The Banshees (I'm wearing a Siouxsie T-shirt right now) and more gothic rock stuff like Bauhaus...I love it all! The Cure opened me up to new kinds of music, such as The Chameleons, which should have been a hit band, IMO. They were great...

I also love the band, "Magazine" with Howard Devoto...their songs are really kickass, a mix of New Wave and punk, much like The Cure. Music will never be as good as it was in the late 70s and 80s. Punk is dead. But will live on for me.

~*CherryRed*~

Ah, similar wave length Carnage Visor as me... so nice, I feel all relaxed and wonderful now! LOL, Might have to chuck on some Exploited to counter that feeling however!

above: Wattie (Exploited)

above: Sid Vicious and Johnny Rotten circa 1977 (Sex Pistols)

~*CherryRed*~

Here are some other random images I happen to have and thought I would post for some reason!!!

above: the Bromley Contingent

above: C. Hynde (Pretenders), P. Black (not sure!!), D. Harry ('nuff said - she is a sex goddess!!), Poly-Styrene (X-Ray Spex), V. Albertine (The Slits - I believe!) & S. Sioux (The Banshees!)

above: Mr Smith and Miss Sioux (I really LOVE this image and use it everywhere!!)

iwannashagsimon

I actually got into the Buzzcocks cos I read about them in "Ten Imaginary Years".   As far as the Banshees go...I blame MTV.  Never knew they had a history with the Cure til I read about it.

But, as far as punk goes...I'm totally old school.  Sex Pistols, The Damned, Jayne County, 999, The Clash.  All the good bands.  The new "punk" bands (like Green Day) just don't do it for me.  Give me 1976-1979 UK punk and I am a happy camper.

Cheap plug time.....If you are really into punk/new wave try to find this book...

Punk Diary: The Ultimate Trainspotter's Guide to Underground Rock, 1970-1982
by George Gimarc

Trust me.  Very informative! Written like a diary with info about gigs, albums and general band info.

Sample page:  http://www.gimarc.com/PD-page.html

Sussex

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on August 23, 2007, 03:41:45
I blame MTV. 

Me too..MTV sucks!  :smth078

The new "punk" bands (like Green Day) just don't do it for me. 

Same here though..Such MtV type! :smth078

"Thick As Shit"

Sussex

Guys..

how bout the band who love to sniff glue..The Ramones??
"Thick As Shit"

iwannashagsimon

Yeah, MTV sucks (especially nowadays), but it did make me a Cure fan. :-D

Sussex

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on August 23, 2007, 04:20:22
Yeah, MTV sucks (especially nowadays), but it did make me a Cure fan. :-D

:-D

Yeah...recently they are only looking for fame and glamour type of thing...yaaarckk!
"Thick As Shit"

Carnage Visor

I like The Ramones, but it's so cliche to say "my favorite punk band is The Ramones!" In my opinion, it's much cooler to say, "I appreciate the post-punk bands like Siouxsie and Magazine...or The Buzzcocks." It's slightly less tedious and typical of a teenager to say.

Also, I use that picture of Robert and Siouxsie alot, it's on my fridge right now, as if we knew them or something...My mom likes it there, as well. So all is good.

(For the record, I do live with my mom, brother, and sister because I am 15...lol)

Steve

I spent a part of my childhood living in Bromley & remember the Bromley contingent (they were fairly difficult to forget really).
There was a chinese take away on my old paper round called the Hong Kong Garden :D
I still love the punky side of things, but I am an old goff at heart tbh.
But I'll always give the Buzzcocks, Rezillos, 999, Pistols, Only Ones, Magazine etc. an airing on the old cd masheen :-D
I recently unearthed an old tape of an album called 20 of another kind, which is now converted to a digital format & is a regular feature on my itunes selection.

These days, I see a lot of kids with "punk's not dead" tee shirts & think that they wouldn't know punk if it fell on them.
It wasn't about the music tbh, but more the whole attitude, feeling & lifestyle.
I used to get ridiculed at parties when I was a teenager for wanting to listen to the Clash :?
I saw the UK Subs one night in a pub in Worthing & it was one of the roughest gigs I ever went to.
Get p!ssed. Destroy.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

~*CherryRed*~

I actually got into the Buzzcocks cos I read about them in "Ten Imaginary Years".   As far as the Banshees go...I blame MTV.  Never knew they had a history with the Cure til I read about it.

But, as far as punk goes...I'm totally old school.  Sex Pistols, The Damned, Jayne County, 999, The Clash.  All the good bands.  The new "punk" bands (like Green Day) just don't do it for me.  Give me 1976-1979 UK punk and I am a happy camper.

Cheap plug time.....If you are really into punk/new wave try to find this book...

Punk Diary: The Ultimate Trainspotter's Guide to Underground Rock, 1970-1982
by George Gimarc

Trust me.  Very informative! Written like a diary with info about gigs, albums and general band info.

Sample page:  http://www.gimarc.com/PD-page.html

See another person that discovered punk through The Cure... Your just like me matey!! Give me the Buzzcocks, Sham 69, Stiff Little Fingers, 999, X-Ray Spex etc... and yes even The Exploited (even though they are on the tail end of the origianl UK 'movement') any day...

LOL, I've heard about this book from other mates of mine (non-Cureies too I might add, but I don't hold that against them!!). I've never come across it in my net wanderings though, so I don't have a copy... one day if it's meant too be, I'll see a copy on ebay and get it!! I've got a few other books that are ok, loads of pictures etc... But then these days they pump out all of this stuff as there is a huge market for it now. Whenever there is money to be made, you can be sure of them releasing stuff. It caters both for the teenie boopers, and the old foggies (like me - for nostalgia reasons!!). Thats my view anyway.

MTV is something I've only ever seen bits of here and there, as I live in OZ, we don't get it here on freetoair TV... and I refuse to pay for Austar/Foxtel (we don't get Sky in Oz - thats for all the Brit's in the audience!!). So I'm blissfully unaware of what goes on with MTV. I was told about a Cure special that they did called 'Icons'... I believe it was a series they did on various bands. Apparently they Cure one is really good. I guess I'll never get to see it, so I try not to think too much on that kinda thing!!!

I have to ask you 'iwannashagsimon' if you are aware of The Glove LP? That is the collabaration between Mr Smith and Steve Severin (of The Banshees). Its a thumping bloody good LP too, and has been released as a double delux CD edition - ooohh SPECIAL!!

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: Sussex on August 23, 2007, 03:52:23

Guys..

how bout the band who love to sniff glue..The Ramones??

I do like the Ramones. BUT - I have discovered over the years that the other people that also like them, I hated! So as a result I only have one CD of theirs, a best of - which in my collection amounts to an insult really. I'm sorry, but as I'm British... the stuff from across the ocean got my goat a bit! It comes back to that age old argument about whether Punk began 1st in America or England.... *yawns* I no were my loyalties lie (hehehe)

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: Carnage Visor on August 23, 2007, 17:44:16
I like The Ramones, but it's so cliche to say "my favorite punk band is The Ramones!" In my opinion, it's much cooler to say, "I appreciate the post-punk bands like Siouxsie and Magazine...or The Buzzcocks." It's slightly less tedious and typical of a teenager to say.

Also, I use that picture of Robert and Siouxsie alot, it's on my fridge right now, as if we knew them or something...My mom likes it there, as well. So all is good.

(For the record, I do live with my mom, brother, and sister because I am 15...lol)

I have my fridge covered in crap too! But I don't have that particualr image of Mr Smith and Miss Sioux on there... (I use it more on the Net for things.) I had to laugh at your comment "as if we knew them or something..." HAHAHAHAHA... funny!

And I would just like to say that for your age [all of a young vibrant and 'inncocent' - I type that tentatively (hehehe) 15], your comments read very well! Some posts I read (in other forums) from younger people are terrible. Full of obvious grammer/spelling errors. I really worry sometimes for those kids I must say!

Also I agree whole-heartedly with what you said about people saying "my favorite punk band is The Ramones!"... 'nuff said!

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: Steve on August 23, 2007, 22:12:08
I spent a part of my childhood living in Bromley & remember the Bromley contingent (they were fairly difficult to forget really).
There was a chinese take away on my old paper round called the Hong Kong Garden :D
I still love the punky side of things, but I am an old goff at heart tbh.
But I'll always give the Buzzcocks, Rezillos, 999, Pistols, Only Ones, Magazine etc. an airing on the old cd masheen :-D
I recently unearthed an old tape of an album called 20 of another kind, which is now converted to a digital format & is a regular feature on my itunes selection.

These days, I see a lot of kids with "punk's not dead" tee shirts & think that they wouldn't know punk if it fell on them.
It wasn't about the music tbh, but more the whole attitude, feeling & lifestyle.
I used to get ridiculed at parties when I was a teenager for wanting to listen to the Clash :?
I saw the UK Subs one night in a pub in Worthing & it was one of the roughest gigs I ever went to.
Get p!ssed. Destroy.

LOL LOL LOL "get p!ssed. Destroy" !!! OK your the boss!!!
I'd love to hear more from you about your time in Bromley and 'the contingent'! Just to be nosey really! Thats so odd that there was a Chinese place called Hong Kong Garden!! Just coincidence? Hmm..... Have you seen Marie Antoinette yet? (with Kirsten Dunst as M.A.) I reckon Sofia Coppola (the director) has a love for Siouxsie & The Banshees and The Cure, as she has used Hong Kong Garden (all be it in a classical vein) and All Cats Are Grey... and bugger, I forget which one, but there is another in there somewhere too if I remember rightly! I really really like that film, and will be adding it too my collection!

"These days, I see a lot of kids with "punk's not dead" tee shirts & think that they wouldn't know punk if it fell on them." 

I'll agree with that too. But I do love it when I find a kid with a fan or spikes on their noggin' (or nails as we called them!), and I just have to go over and say hello.. trouble is they seem to recoil whenever I go near them. I don't bite! I just want to chat with them... I really think that this 'new-er generation' of punks are completely different to the ol' school ones. Things have changed, and the new kids are rebelling against different things. So what they regard as being punk/rebellious dosen't marry with what I call being punk/rebellious! Also I think they are a hell of alot more violent and stuck up. I'm not shy in coming forward I have to say, and I've been in many a scrap, and have the war scars to show for it. But they just lose it over nothing it seems, stupid things. I put it down to them wanting this 'street cred.' as they say! HA what a **** really!!! Ok thats my RANT for the day...

UK Subs just toured recently. I made a concious decision to NOT go. For reasons that shall remain my own!