bloodflowers - anniversary

Started by harrold, February 15, 2006, 18:53:09

Previous topic - Next topic

harrold

One of the greatest albums of all times, I'm sure about that, it was issued 6 years ago.
How would you comment this album?
In my point of view 'Bloodflowers' really shows Cure's music as so perfect as it ever could be and was. Recently I bumped into and listened to BF after a longer break while I didn't listened to than I had to realize again how fantastic this music is.... :)

What does Bloodflowers mean to You?
"...the kiss is dry and it's not the same you... "

crowbi_wan

i liked it when it came out, but didn't really get into it like the previous few releases.  recently, i've been listening to whole albums and bloodflowers happens to be one i plan i listening to.  a lot ofpeople say watching me fall is too long.  i absolutely love that song.  i wish they'd replace fteotdgs with it as a standard live song.  porl could get some solo time to show off  :smt035  more of this album should be played live.  yeah, maybe someday makes it in every now and then.  39 and bloodflowers were played at the evening with shows in '04.  what about the other tracks?  

-brian

Tristan Berlin

I have to say that I was a little bit dissapointed. I became a curefan 3 or 4 years before and at this time I knew the albums "Concert", "Kiss me", "Staring at the Sea".........and than this record seems very strange to me. Very different to the others. I like the Cure-Rock & Pop-songs and so this album was a little bit too slow for my taste  :wink:

cult_hero

great album! the first 3 songs belong to the best cure tracks ever for me. and "watching me fall" is the killer track :-D  - my all time favourite!!! but i don't think they will ever play it again...  :(

splitmilk34

Bloodflowers is one of my favorites.  It's a perfect mood-piece.  I've driven to it, slept with it on, I play it at work, etc.  "Watching Me Fall" is fantastic.  I agree that this should be played live more often.  In addition to WMF, songs such as "The Last Day of Summer" and the immortal "There Is No If..." are standouts in the Cure's catalog.  I've always liked the sound of this album, from the guitars to the drums to the keyboards.
"... sleeping less every night"

Nicholas

When it first came out it wasn't an immediate favorite, it was a grower.  It's also very hard for me to single out any certain song from the whole, as when I put it on I always listen to it from beginning to end straight through.  I think the title cut is mindblowing though and an incredible finale.   "There Is No If..." what does Simon mean that Robert "finally" wrote it?

One thing about Bloodflowers is how dense and layered the sound is, and unlike, say Kiss Me 3x there is very little change up in song style.  The production is excellent and the sequencing, how each song ends and leads into the next, is really well thought out.  It mines one type of Cure "sound", generating a single mood through the entire album.

Purple Orchid

I inmediately loved this album. Out Of This World is one of my favourite Cure tracks because of the music and because of the lyrics. Never liked much Watching Me Fall, but Where The Birds Always Sing is one of my favourite lyrics. A few of the songs I could relate to thing that were happening at the moment in my life. Also love Maybe Someday, the lyrics sound to me like someone who is really fed up with everything, like I frecuently do!. The Last Day Of Summer is where the return to the trademark cure sound is more evident: Bas VI, 12 string acoustic and string ensemble on the keyboard, thou it is present during the whole album (on Wild Mood Swings the string were a real quartet, there was some brass, organs, so not very much Cure sound to me). There Is No If is a lovely one, The Loudest Sound seemed like the weirdest to me. 39 is also great and it was one of my favourite tracks live in the Mexico City concerts, they sound like a like a Heavy Metal band! And Bloodflowers sort of sums up the drama of the album, like you either buy it and love it or not get it at all. A bit like fighting things that could be 'facts of life' (that relationships end, the loss of loved ones by death, etc.) This also marked a difference in the lyrics, in that from verse to verse the lyrics are only changed by very few words. On Wish, lyrics seem to me very lush and poetic. He has always done that thing of keeping the verses very similar, but he used to change more words from verse to verse. Bloodflowers is one of my favorite albums and because of that (and because it was recorded by that particular line-up) I chose it to be the LP I wanted to have signed.
...when suddenly, behind a tree, I appear
strange mixture of the one-before-the-last wanderer
and first stowaway on the trip to Venus.
Half melon on the head and the stripes of the shirt painted on the skin,
but only you see me...

strange_as_angels

Not my favourite album, but there's some amazing songs, and I like the layered sound to it
I first heard it on the trilogy dvd, Out of this world and There is no if are my fave songs from it
"and you finally found all your courage to
let it all go"

japanesebaby

Quote from: harroldWhat does Bloodflowers mean to You?

for me it's THE cure album that has most personal value and meaning - maybe it's a lame thing to say but anyway.
musically it's maybe the only cure album on which i just cannot find a weak track at all, it's a flow...
and 'watching me fall' is a hard one to surpass - i also wish they'd play it live again...
hmm, maybe someday...

marika
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Joe

(Good god, if I have to re-login one more time...)

I never cared for Bloodflowers that much, I only liked "Watching me fall", "The last day of summer" and "39" but aside from that, I never was too impressed with the rest of it. The lost flowers sessions are pretty good though.

sula

une v?ritable bouff?e d'air apr?s l'?touffant Wild mood swing;

L'exploration des diff?rentes facettes du m?me sentiment comme ? l'?poque de disintegration ou de la fameuse trilogie.

Ce que robert sait faire ? la perfection.