RS-1000: robert's new acoustic

Started by crowbi_wan, March 05, 2006, 07:11:09

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbi_wan

i just got an e-mail from schecter about robert's signature acoustc, the RS-1000.  i didn't even know about this.  did anyone?  here's a link to check it out.  http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=145  it's very much like his electric, having the same pearl inlay.  this one i like and probably will purchase.   the electric is just so oddly shaped.  i think it's kind of funny that he's got a signature acoustic for two reasons.  one, he used to think they were a "hippy instrument".  the other, he used his electric for the acoustic songs last summer!  maybe he'll be going back to the acoustic now.   :smt017   anyway, the ad says the price of this new ax is $699.  i'm guessing it'll acually go for $399-500.  

-brian

japanesebaby

i had no clue about this, a nice surprise though.
what comes to instruments then how it sounds is surely much more important than how it might look like, but the electric one is really odd shaped. after all those elegant hollow-bodied gibsons it just always looks a bit ugly to me, i cannot help it.

in a bit more rare interview from an UK in store magazine called SoundControlMagazine dating from 2004 robert is talking about the designing of his own schecter model and he says:

"someone did make a guitar for me in the 80s but it wasn't quite right. i designed and drew it all out, but i was doing so many things i could never check it. it went from paper for the real thing  and when i sat down to play it, it was horribly unbalanced.so i said to michael [schecter]: 'if you make it exactly how i want it, then i'll do it'. he said: 'whatever you want to do, we'll do.'"

hmm, so that old one must have been really unbalanced then if even he himself noticed it... :wink:  well ok, yes of course i know he wasn't talking about how it looked like.
anyway, i wonder what those previous signature designing plans back in the 80s were, i've never heard of them from anywhere else than here. it must have been a deserted project pretty early on then(?).

marika
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

Not a bad looking guitar. I've always preferred black acoustics, and they're not always so easy to find! But upon closer inspection I see there are no electronics on this. So we're surely not going to see Robert playing this exact model in a live setting unless it's some sort of "unplugged" thing.

I'm really not a fan of Robert switching over to Schechter (which is known to be a heavy metal/hardcore/industrial brand). Just like Marika said, he had so many classic (and expensive!) vintage guitars which he never appears with anymore. Even the Fender Bass VI has been replaced with a Schechter. And I definitely don't see any improvement in sound with this. I just wonder what convinced him to do ot. I can't imagine it being the money... I wouldn't be surprised if he's contractually prohibited from using any of his old guitars on stage anymore. And by the same token I wouldn't be surprised if he still uses his old guitars in the studio.

Weird...

crowbi_wan

there are ways to amplify an acoustic guitar.  several companies make pickups that mount in the opening.  i'm not so sure robert will be doing this, though.  as far as using his many wonderful guitars in the studio, i believe he does.  with the ultracure you can get a variety of sounds.  still, it doesn't sound like a hollowbody.  for the self-titled album, he packed all his old gear into the studio (guitars, amps, fx) at the request of rr.  robert is so big on getting the right tones that he'll be doing it again.  i didn't think robert used the hellcat VI :smt017 perry did.  i think robert has always used his fender.  wait, maybe on conan o'brien it was used....

-brian

lostflower4

Quote from: crowbi_wanthere are ways to amplify an acoustic guitar.  several companies make pickups that mount in the opening.  i'm not so sure robert will be doing this, though.  as far as using his many wonderful guitars in the studio, i believe he does.  with the ultracure you can get a variety of sounds.  still, it doesn't sound like a hollowbody.  for the self-titled album, he packed all his old gear into the studio (guitars, amps, fx) at the request of rr.  robert is so big on getting the right tones that he'll be doing it again.  i didn't think robert used the hellcat VI :smt017 perry did.  i think robert has always used his fender.  wait, maybe on conan o'brien it was used....

Yes, I'm well aware of pickups and everything. But chances are that a person wouldn't randomly choose the same pickup that Robert does. So it's not a very authentic model unless he's using this for studio-only work where a close mic system is used.

Robert certainly used some sort of Schechter baritone guitar during the 2005 shows. Lullaby, for example. And just listen to Jumping Someone Else's Train during the Szeged soundcheck. Some low notes in those chords! :shock:

crowbi_wan

Quote from: lostflower4

Robert certainly used some sort of Schechter baritone guitar during the 2005 shows. Lullaby, for example. And just listen to Jumping Someone Else's Train during the Szeged soundcheck. Some low notes in those chords! :shock:

really???  i don't know.  i suppose it's possible.  guess i'll have to listen again.  the fender bass VI always seems to be his weapon of choice.  i tried to get a good look at his guitar rack in everett  and believe i saw two of them.  kinda hard to tell.

-brian

lostflower4

2004 was a very different Cure. I know he played the Fender during those shows. But he didn't play anything but Schechters in 2005, I'm sure of it. :wink:

crowbi_wan

okay, i checked out some pics from '05 and see no fenders and only schecters.  however, no hellcat VI, at least that i saw.  if you look at the ultra w/ the 696 sticker, it appears to have been modified with hellcat hardware.  i'm not certain of this.  and as i don't have any vids from last tour i can't check to see what songs that guitar was used on.

here's a pic.  notice the three pickups and the toggle switces.  this is clearly a modified ultra.  i just don't know if it's modified to be a bassVI or to just have single coil pickups.  if it's a bass VI, the neck should be longer, which it doesn't appear to be.   :smt017

http://www.pbase.com/craigparker/image/50045438

splitmilk34

Maybe he's just trying to get a different sound... Imagine if you had to play Just Like Heaven or 100 Years 4 million times, there certainly would come a time when you'd want to do something a little different.  But I agree with the fact that Robert has a wealth of beautiful, vintage guitars which are criminally underused.  Hopefully when they tour again (if they tour again), we'll see him break out the arsenal.
"... sleeping less every night"

DontMoove

Robert had the opportunity to "build" a guitar for a company... may be it is the project aspect that interested him. have a guitar with his name and sound...(2 now).
And Robert seems to be ok with the commercial aspect too ;)
JP

scatcat

Crowbie_wan: Brian, did you end up getting this guitar? Just interested to hear feed back on the RS-1000 acoustic?  :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

scatcat

Quote from: scatcat on November 17, 2007, 11:48:02
Crowbie_wan: Brian, did you end up getting this guitar? Just interested to hear feed back on the RS-1000 acoustic?  :smth023

has anyone tried out this ax?
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

CureCrusader

no, sorry, not got my hands on one yet, looks cool  :rocker
Who am I? Who are you? Is this world what we percieve it to be? Do we even exist?

crowbi_wan

Nope, I never bought one or even played one.  I don't play my acoustic much and haven't found the need to buy a new one.  Still, I'd like to play one sometime, just to see how they sound and feel.