Robert's voice...

Started by Erik, August 14, 2005, 07:20:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Erik

I really am starting to lament Robert's previous range of voice.  He is sounding much flatter than before, as in most of 2004.  The energy is there, but he starins so much!

Does anyone know if he is a smoker?  At the very least, all that drinking puts him at risk of vocal cord issues, even worse ( I hate to think of it!)

Anyway, he really could use some help, or at least a checkup! (laryngoscopy???)
Erik

lostflower4

I've noticed his voice change a lot since about '97-'98. I figured maybe it had something to do with him just getting older (and maybe a little bigger).

I know what you're saying, but he still sounds pretty good. Some singers completely lose it by this age. They might still be able to sing, but they lose a special quality in their voice. From watching Live 8, there's lots of groups with this problem.

I've always wondered if he was a smoker. If so, he must be very discreet about it. I've only seen one picture (in Ten Imaginary Years) of him with a cigarette.

I noticed his singing was a bit rough during Benicassim, but I think it was better last night. I guess I don't really know much beyond what I just said. :?

Beesley Wytchboy

I can see what you mean but he's certainly making up for it with his energy level and as a in-the-closet punk rocker i think thats just as important (if not more so!)
Just listen to Billy Bragg or Diva destruction to see what i mean

Luke x :P
You're Walking a thin line between here and out of control

kirill

i don't have that feeling that robert's voice changed a lot over the years.
yes, on wish he sounds younger than on bloodflowers or even wild mood swings, but then listen to yesterday's gone. sounds gentle and quite young again! i believe the matter is the production techniques and, of course, Robert's concious decision to sound in a particular way

nausearockpig

i think i remember reading in either ten imaginary years or another book that came out around that time that he decided to quit smoking around 84 to 86.
something about hating being dependant on a substance... gee i wonder what that's like. damn smokes....

J

Joe

I do know that he drinks a lot and used to be a very heavy drug abuser. I'm pretty sure he smoked weed and also cigarettes as well.

I do agree as well with his voice sounding much different. I think it lacks the power it used to have in the 80s.

egon_beeblebrox

I don't think his voice sounds all that different. Compare his voice change to Roger Waters's change since Pink Floyd's beginning. Now THERE'S a voice that got shot out.
"A Hand in my Mouth. A Life Spills into the Flowers."

jagged mountain

The Voice of everyone changes a little during life and Robert is not an exception. But I think his voice sounds JUST LIKE HEAVEN!
He has the sexiest voice I've ever listened to.

Plainsong

I think he sounds fine. "All of This" is one of my favorite vocals of his and that was just 2 years ago or so!

Lady

Robert's voice is so particular.... it's wonderfull !Many artists' voice changes during their career, they don't succeed in singing in a good way all the concert long as before, but in my opinion Robert still has a very good voice! ;) (does Robert smoke??I didn't know that!)
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

[labyrinth]

Robert smoked...about in 1987's ...but never in a "full" way...
then almost 1 year later he stopped to smoke..

Plainsong

There are a few photos of Rob with a cigarette--I think the most recent was from 2000?
But he doesn't smell like cigarettes now; maybe he is just a "social smoker"...

nausearockpig

smell like cigarettes? how do you know what he smells like?

have you been within sniffing distance??

Lady

[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

Plainsong

Well, only once...but he didn't smell like cigarettes or anything in particular! Obviously this is not very scientific evidence, but... ;)