NY trip thoughts? (+'NY trip' vs. 'the only one')

Started by japanesebaby, June 07, 2008, 10:15:20

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

of all the new songs  so far, i really like this song. :D

i wonder if anyone else paid attention to this:
unlike 'the only one' (which i feel is simply too much ripping off 'a letter to elise' music-wise and is a pretty empty pop song in general), on 'NY trip' there's a vintage cure feeling there at times, in certain bits of that song:

i feel there are bits of 'adonais'(!) in there - just listen to certain chordal passages and the arrangement/sound in general (especially the opening verse).
also i get some echoes of some 'blue sunshine' era material there. with the latter it's especially something in vocal lines/melodies (just remember to listen to the RS vocal version, not that howling woman stuff). i can't pinpoint exact passages here since the resemblances are really not that painfully similar (and that's why it's not a rip-off song). i mean just the style of vocal lines in general, it sounds like some vintage style is echoed in there.

as we know, robert has said that some of the new songs are actually reworkings of some old 80s ideas/demos - so imo this fits very well in the picture at least with this song.

the other reason why i like 'NY trip' is because to me the lyrics have a genuine cure-feeling, they offer you something that tingles your imagination (something you've grown to be "allowed to demand" from RS...):

"ONE BY ONE THEY DROP" YOU SAID
"LEFT US TWO ON A RIDE STOPPED DEAD... "
"IT'S HARD TO BE SURE
BUT I SWEAR THEY'RE WHALES
SWIMMING DOWN THE LINE
SPITTING MONKEY TAILS... "

these are true lyrics because it's instantly clear there's a kind of half-magical story behind them. that's a story from the "cure world".
by comparison: unlike 'the only one' which lyric-wise is just too blatant to be really liked. there's nothing much left to your imagination there - or if there is then it's still not ambiguous enough for a cure song. imo.

ps. complete lyrics here --> http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,5082.0.html
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 07, 2008, 10:15:20
i feel there are bits of 'adonais'(!) in there - just listen to certain chordal passages and the arrangement/sound in general (especially the opening verse).
also i get some echoes of some 'blue sunshine' era material there. with the latter it's especially something in vocal lines/melodies (just remember to listen to the RS vocal version, not that howling woman stuff). i can't pinpoint exact passages here since the resemblances are really not that painfully similar (and that's why it's not a rip-off song). i mean just the style of vocal lines in general, it sounds like some vintage style is echoed in there.

This song reminds me of a lot of different other songs/eras too. "Waiting" from 1996 also comes to mind.

As for the similarity to Blue Sunshine, I noticed that too. It sounds a lot like something that could have been on the remastered bonus disc that came out a couple years ago. You know, the one with authentic vocal demos from 1983.  :lol:

His voice sounds exactly the same on NY Trip.

tigermilk

It'll probably be one of those great B-Sides that should have been on the album, haha.
:-D

mahood

i really don't like it, it's a mess to me (maybe because of the production, i don't want to sound obsessional, even if this is what i say in another topic here).
i can hear the glove 1983-2006 connection though, vocally speaking --- musically, definitely not ; fortunately enough, some new tracks join both : sleep when i'm dead is the one for me :)
signs, flowers, weapons and balloons

RSPJ08

I also prefer NYtrip VS only one which is nice though but really too poppy. However  I really like all kind of stuff  :-D :-D

sues777

I really like NY Trip too.  I actually find it kind of "mesmerising"(?)- the guitar, the piano, but especially the lyrics and vocals. 

Unfortunately my ear's nowhere near as good as many here, and I don't have any musical training, so I can't draw any direct comparisons to other tracks, but I definitely agree it has a "vintage Cure" feel to it and can hear a connection with Blue Sunshine, especially lyrically...

the other reason why i like 'NY trip' is because to me the lyrics have a genuine cure-feeling, they offer you something that tingles your imagination (something you've grown to be "allowed to demand" from RS...):

"IT'S HARD TO BE SURE
SWIMMING DOWN THE LINE

these are true lyrics because it's instantly clear there's a kind of half-magical story behind them. that's a story from the "cure world".

I couldn't agree more.  In fact, the more I hear NY Trip, the more it sounds to me like some sort of "magical fable" you'd tell a child...full of imaginary characters and wonderfully ambiguous.  And, I must admit, I just love being transported away from the grind of every day to some imaginary land...

Although I really enjoy The Only One and think it's a great pop song, I prefer NY Trip..
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

splitmilk34

I think the song is alright... and I, too, notice the simalrities (which I spoke about in a previous post) to mid-80's Cure. 

I do think that the production is holding this song back.  For me, The Cure always sounds better with "crisp" production, whereas these singles, and this track, have a very distorted "quality" to them.  It's almost as if, when mastering the song, the audio was compressed and volume raised so much that the audio clips a bit.  The band also seems to be leaning on some heavily delayed effects (like on Robert's voice) with the bass pushed way up-front and panned dead center.  Not sure if thats the choice I would've made for the final mix of this song, but I also haven't been asked to mix a Cure song yet so what the hell do I know.

Point is - good song, bad production, cool story and just fantastic to have the band back.
"... sleeping less every night"

RSPJ08

Quote from: splitmilk34 on June 19, 2008, 21:28:43

Point is - good song, bad production, cool story and just fantastic to have the band back.

Yes that's the main thing  :-D :-D :P

MeltingMan

of all the new songs  so far, i really like this song. :D

i wonder if anyone else paid attention to this:
unlike 'the only one' (which i feel is simply too much ripping off 'a letter to elise' music-wise and is a pretty empty pop song in general), on 'NY trip' there's a vintage cure feeling there at times, in certain bits of that song:

as we know, robert has said that some of the new songs are actually reworkings of some old 80s ideas/demos - so imo this fits very well in the picture at least with this song.

"IT'S HARD TO BE SURE
SWIMMING DOWN THE LINE

by comparison: unlike 'the only one' which lyric-wise is just too blatant to be really liked. there's nothing much left to your imagination there - or if there is then it's still not ambiguous enough for a cure song. imo.

ps. complete lyrics here --> http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,5082.0.html
Me too.This track is like a day dream.I love the piano melody and Robert's voice is in
full swing,really like on Blue Sunshine.A declaration of love...perfect.  :)
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)