New Album Name!!!

Started by pussycat, August 22, 2008, 03:19:22

Previous topic - Next topic

punx_chix

So I was wrong.  :lol:

Not trying to be a dick but why exactly do people hate the title? I think its gotta nice ring to it.
...and i run around hysterical
in dead persistent gloom...

Janko

Quote from: pussycat on August 22, 2008, 03:19:22
Summary: THE NEW ALBUM IS CALLED 4.13 DREAM

The sad fact is - I don't care anymore.
I'm so disappointed by the heard songs that I don't think I'll buy the album.

:?
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

Cold Colours

There is no defending that album title, I'm sorry.  It is terrible.  I was getting rather re-inspired by the recent live touring version of the band.  The singles sounded great onstage most nights.  Somehow that excitement has not been getting translated to the recorded material.  I have been completely disappointed in the latest singles, particularly "Sleep When I'm Dead" which sounded so robust in the live context but fails utterly on record.  The artwork in my opinion since Bloodflowers has been extremely poorly conceived.  Hell, I even hate the font the band have been using for their logo these past few albums.  What has happened?  I am not so enamored anymore with the prospect of a new album looming.  My enthusiasm wanes with each new release and exclamatory UPDATE! from Robert.

Thankfully certain brave souls from the board and beyond recorded many of the recent tour gigs, so at least I have those recordings to fall back on if the new album fails to deliver for me.  Glad also to see that other folks here aren't so blindly devoted enough to the band that they avoid saying what needs to be said about some of the new Cure stuff being released.  If it's poo-worthy, no amount of polish will shine it up.

Dream 4.13 for chrissakes! :? 
[i]Follow me to where the real fun is[/i]

othervoices

Quote from: dsanchez on August 22, 2008, 20:44:51
Quote from: japanesebaby on August 22, 2008, 19:28:00
anyway i'm not bothered by the album name/artwork at this point, it seems like a very small problem to me (if a problem at all).

Yep, the name is the less important. Only music matters, and so far, it looks like an awesome album. Underneath the stars, A boy I never knew and The Only One are truly gorgeous.

That's exactly the point... I'll stick my neck out and hope that it is the best since disintegration...

Cold Colours

Quote from: dsanchez on August 22, 2008, 20:44:51Yep, the name is the less important. Only music matters, and so far, it looks like an awesome album. Underneath the stars, A boy I never knew and The Only One are truly gorgeous.

I've heard several people now say that only the music matters.  Fine, let's focus on the music for a moment.  Sure, 'UTS', 'A Boy I Never Knew' and 'The Only One' are great songs in their LIVE arrangements that we've heard.  How can any of you be sure that those live versions of the songs will survive the transition to the studio tracks intact?  I thought 'Sleep When I'm Dead' was a powerhouse song the way they performed it live.  I couldn't wait to hear the finished studio version.  I figured it would be a no-brainer knockout.  What I got instead on the official single gutted me to the quick because it sounded so gutless and under-performed.  I had to flip the CD case over and make sure I wasn't listening to some demo version of the song.  This was not the same song that left me speechless when I heard the live version from Boston.

Sorry if I'm dampening people's parade a bit but, if it is truly about the music then, based solely on the 4 officially-released singles from the upcoming album, my hopes for the quality of the new album are fading fast.  None of the recorded singles have retained the potency of their live counterparts.  'Freakshow' and 'The Perfect Boy' come closer than the other two but there is still something "off" about them.  The newly-announced album title simply adds salt to an already-opened wound.  I truly hope everyone else is vindicated when the album drops in a few months.  I just can't see what has so many of you as excited and confident about the upcoming release as you are  :smth017.
[i]Follow me to where the real fun is[/i]

Padme

Maybe he'll change his mind & rename it something else.

othervoices

Quote from: Cold Colours on August 23, 2008, 07:22:00
Quote from: dsanchez on August 22, 2008, 20:44:51Yep, the name is the less important. Only music matters, and so far, it looks like an awesome album. Underneath the stars, A boy I never knew and The Only One are truly gorgeous.

I've heard several people now say that only the music matters.  Sure, UTS, A Boy I Never Knew and The Only One are great songs in their LIVE arrangements that we've heard.  How can any of you be sure that those songs will survive the transition to the studio tracks intact?  I thought "Sleep When I'm Dead" was a powerhouse song the way they performed it live.  I couldn't wait to hear the finished studio version.  I figured it would be a no-brainer knockout.  What I got instead on the official single gutted me to the quick because it sounded so gutless and under-performed.  I had to flip the CD case over and make sure I wasn't listening to some demo version of the song.  This was not the same song that left me speechless when I heard the live version from Boston.

Sorry if I'm dampening people's parade but, if it is truly about the music then, based solely on the 4 officially-released singles from the upcoming album, my hopes for the quality of the new album are fading fast.  The newly-announced album title simply adds salt to an already-opened wound.  I truly hope everyone else is vindicated when the album drops in a few months.  I just can't see what has so many of you as excited and confident about the upcoming release as you are  :smth017.

Maybe it's a "mix 13" flaw? it will be interesting to see how different the album versions are

nausearockpig

I'm going with my interpretation that 4.13 is the time RS woke up [probably in the afternoon LOL] from having a really strange dream either before starting the album, whem making it or just about it. Let's all agree that is the meaning and we'll all be happy little vegemites...

Padme

Quote from: nausearockpig on August 23, 2008, 07:56:32
I'm going with my interpretation that 4.13 is the time RS woke up [probably in the afternoon LOL] from having a really strange dream either before starting the album, whem making it or just about it.

How funny!  :D

japanesebaby

Quote from: Cold Colours on August 23, 2008, 07:22:00
I've heard several people now say that only the music matters.  Sure, UTS, A Boy I Never Knew and The Only One are great songs in their LIVE arrangements that we've heard.  How can any of you be sure that those songs will survive the transition to the studio tracks intact?  I thought "Sleep When I'm Dead" was a powerhouse song the way they performed it live.  I couldn't wait to hear the finished studio version.  I figured it would be a no-brainer knockout.  What I got instead on the official single gutted me to the quick because it sounded so gutless and under-performed.  I had to flip the CD case over and make sure I wasn't listening to some demo version of the song.  This was not the same song that left me speechless when I heard the live version from Boston.

Sorry if I'm dampening people's parade but, if it is truly about the music then, based solely on the 4 officially-released singles from the upcoming album, my hopes for the quality of the new album are fading fast.  The newly-announced album title simply adds salt to an already-opened wound.  I truly hope everyone else is vindicated when the album drops in a few months.  I just can't see what has so many of you as excited and confident about the upcoming release as you are  :smth017.

well what can i say? other than i could have written the very same thing.... under-performed is exactly the word.
when i said i don't care about the title at this point it's because i really don't. but that doesn't mean i had any strong confidence in the upcoming album either.

(i'm looking forward to the next deluxe releases a thousand times more than to the new album. although how convenient that the deluxe releases are being delayed by this album thing... aarghh. :x ;))
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

disintegration

Quote from: silversand on August 22, 2008, 21:57:39
For me the album title isn't important. It's the content that matters - the music :)
Hope it will really released on that date. And i think that the cover art isn't the final one :)
I'm reall looking forward to it  :D

I agree!  ;)
Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

nausearockpig

I reckon that the content of an album is the most important factor [otherwise, what's the point of the album in the first place?], but in saying that the title should reflect the content, mood or theme of the music contained therein.

Imagine if Disintegration was called Sunny Days or Lovesong or Spoon or 1989 The Album, or any number of non-descriptive titles which do not imply sad painful feelings...

who knows? perhaps one of the songs refers specifically to those numbers and the word "Dream"

Let's wait and see kids.
Bring on the new record, the remasters and the DVDs etc.. oh and the Jane's Addiction box set that's coming... oh yeah good couple of months for the pig!!

Lady

Quote from: Padme on August 23, 2008, 08:14:14
Quote from: nausearockpig on August 23, 2008, 07:56:32
I'm going with my interpretation that 4.13 is the time RS woke up [probably in the afternoon LOL] from having a really strange dream either before starting the album, whem making it or just about it.

How funny!  :D
Very interesting interpretation :smth023....it could be really a "smittish" thing!!! :-D

Anyway, the title is not so important....let's think about the songs! The album is coming!!!! :rocker
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

Padme

Yeah, Robin seems to have a habit of changing his mind.  "Smittish" - I like that!  Sounds like British!  Ha!

japanesebaby

Quote from: Padme on August 23, 2008, 18:22:52
Yeah, Robin seems to have a habit of changing his mind.

robin who?  :)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine