LOST

Started by mookus, April 12, 2010, 13:53:18

Previous topic - Next topic

mookus

is it just me that thinks this or does anyone else agree that, after a few disapointing albums, an uncertain future as a band and a general lack of interest in the band in the music press often regarded as past their sell by date, Lost is a massive two fingers up to all those who had written them off. Lost /Labyrinth are not only a killer opening for an album that was really sink or swim for them as a band but restored Cure fans faith in them as a band and reminded them why they loved them in the first place. Lost was the first track from them since the Disingegration era that gave me goosebumps- i think a lot of fans were apprehensive as they really wanted something special, RS wanted to make something great again and signal a shift for them instead of relying on past glories and pasiches of his own work. My faith was shaken for a period but never lost-in a 30 year history, you have to forgive a few mistakes. This signaled The Cure were back on form and again, a major force to be reckoned with!!
The Exploded Boy

Ulrich

I agree that "Lost" was a great opening track on "The Cure". And quite different it was too compared to e.g. the album before. I liked the new direction it suggested (a bit harder, more guitar).
But I'll admit that I myself did enjoy other album openers like "Want" and "Out Of This World", a few years before Lost, as well...  :oops:
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

scottm

The Cure have always had strong openers.

Lost is no exception.

Labyrinth is another strong track but suffers like the rest of the album suffers. It is good, but could have been better.

In my unproffesional opinion, Labyrinth would have moved from a 7.5 to a 9.0 with the simple edit of removing the last instance of "say it's the same you/say it's the same you" and instead letting the music on, or trail the "and it never really iiiiiiiiiiiiis..." a bit longer.

Substitute lyrics for the final "no it's not the same/this isn't how it always is" just before the last lyric would have been a huge improvement too. These just sound really weak.

Beyond those two things, I love the song. They problem is that I remind myself of those two things whenever I hear the song.
"But real lives are the reason why
we want to live another life." - Out of This World

jbud1980

i love this album (as with most the cure have put out), yet like many albums of great bands (not just the cure), the singles are weak and un-appealing, with the best songs being overlooked because they did not have the "pop" appeal big wigs may think is needed to sell albums. have u also noticed that many critics scored this eponymous album based on the crappy singles? i would probably also give this album 2.5/5 stars based on before three, alt.end, end of the world, and taking off. these, in my opinion, are the worst songs on the album. however, the album gets 5/5 for the promise, anniversary, labyrinth, and lost.

i wonder how many of the radio poppy singles mentioned above actually generated new cure fans...  :?

lostflower4

I think it's a decent song, but I'm not in love with it. They should have worked it into their set for the 2005-2009 shows as it would have been suited to that lineup, unlike some of the other songs they insist on playing over and over and over.

sarahjames124

Quote from: scottm on April 18, 2010, 09:42:28
The Cure have always had strong openers.

I agree, even Wild Mood Swings which I particularly don't like (but don't want to start a discussion about that now ;) opens beautifully.

GWARHOL

I like it.  Unfortunately, like The Promise and After Three, it was better live at Coachella.  I was disappointed in the album versions (Lost being the best studio version of the three however, imo).

MeltingMan

I noticed,that Lost is somehow linked with Labyrinth,possibly even with Going Nowhere.
All three tracks are very strong,but I'm a bit helpless with the words and meaning of Labyrinth.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on June 29, 2014, 12:25:15
I'm a bit helpless with the words and meaning of Labyrinth.

Which is quite apt with a title like that... obviously you're "lost in a labyrinth", huh? ;)

MeltingMan

Quote from: Ulrich on June 30, 2014, 11:25:59
Quote from: MeltingMan on June 29, 2014, 12:25:15
I'm a bit helpless with the words and meaning of Labyrinth.

Which is quite apt with a title like that... obviously you're "lost in a labyrinth", huh? ;)
O no,Ulrich,but I asked myself:"Who is (talking) there?"
Is it a dialogue or monologue? Serious...what do you feel or think?

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on June 30, 2014, 12:40:05

Hm, I listened to the track not too long ago and just re-read the lyrics.
To me it sounds like a monologue, but the person who talks tries to address someone else:
"say it's the same you" (for example)

And the end result seems to be:
QuoteThis isn't how it's always been
Everything has to have changed
Or it's me

For me, it sounds like the song tells about someone who isn't quite sure if he has changed or if it's the other person or even the whole world around him. (In short, he feels like he's lost in a labyrinth...)

MeltingMan

Quote from: Ulrich on June 30, 2014, 18:11:26
Quote from: MeltingMan on June 30, 2014, 12:40:05

Hm, I listened to the track not too long ago and just re-read the lyrics.
To me it sounds like a monologue, but the person who talks tries to address someone else:
"say it's the same you" (for example)

And the end result seems to be:
QuoteThis isn't how it's always been
Everything has to have changed
Or it's me

For me, it sounds like the song tells about someone who isn't quite sure if he has changed or if it's the other person or even the whole world around him. (In short, he feels like he's lost in a labyrinth...)
Yes.I listened to the track last weekend several times and checked the words too and
it seems,that the second person is not really present (Lost).That frightened me...

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on July 01, 2014, 16:20:23
I listened to the track last weekend several times and checked the words too and
it seems,that the second person is not really present (Lost).That frightened me...

Don't think there's any need to be "frightened". Many songs in pop & rock history are "monologues" directed to a person not present (which seems only logical, as often the writer is alone when writing and reflecting on something, thus with the song tries to tell something to someone).

Magnetfisch

Lost is a very powerful track indeed, imho. And from this period, "this morning"...

mooki

'Lost' is a masterpiece! It's a perfect stream of consciousness in my opinion through the emotions of a dark romantic and confused person. It's such a catharsis to listen to this song. Perfect opening to an outstanding album