The Cure and PUNK

Started by ~*CherryRed*~, August 21, 2007, 01:51:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnage Visor

Well thank you, I am an avid writer and get very good grades in English class!
That era of punk, post-punk, and goth music is my favorite (I'm talking 1978-1985)

I found out about The Cure because I was very fond of 80s music, particularly New Wave and Modern Rock. I was in a play in Chicago at the time, and found myself at Barnes And Noble looking for a "BEST OF THE 80S" type CD, and ended up buying something called, "The Modern Edge". My musical taste shifted a bit. Instead of listening to Duran Duran, I began listening to something better, like The Buzzcocks, the Pistols, and on the CD, a band I had only vaguely heard of called "The Cure".

A day of watching Cure on Youtube, I found that I was actually beginning to really like Robert Smith and his style, music, and stage persona. I became hooked.

~*CherryRed*~

An avid writer hey? Hmm.. interesting!
I too LOVE New Wave/Romantics stuff, and I had a HUGE crush on Simon Le Bon (Duran Duran) and Morten Harket (A-ha.. anyone remember them?!). I'm a tragic figure really!
A friend at school loved The Cure (she was/is a goth!)and brought her walkman in with Kiss Me on it. It was Hot! Hot! Hot! that did it for me... Mr Smiths vocal sound just gave me goosebumps, and they've never left me you know! I get comments on my gooseflesh all that time! LOL only kidding around!
"prone to flights of whimsy"

Siouxsie_

Oh yes, I do like punk very much indeed. It was a gateway drug into other musical genres for me. :-P

Sussex

Quote from: Carnage Visor on August 23, 2007, 17:44:16
I like The Ramones, but it's so cliche to say "my favorite punk band is The Ramones!" In my opinion, it's much cooler to say, "I appreciate the post-punk bands like Siouxsie and Magazine...or The Buzzcocks." It's slightly less tedious and typical of a teenager to say.

Yeahh..I totally agree with that..but if you want to know,in my country there are less less less less exposure to all the things that we are talking about...

Rare music scene, people here have only little knowledge about all this..they only knew that Nirvana is the singer of 'The Man Who Sold The World', they love boy band, and right now, the impact of Hip Hop and R&B is so huge here...  :smth011
I blame MTV once again!  :evil:
Even "The Cure",if you all want to know, I can say that only a few of Malaysian notice this band..(fortunately im one of them! LOL)

I really feel so down when talking about this... :cry:
but im glad im not among the people who missed all this great great things..

Love old music!
"Thick As Shit"

Steve

TBH I was a kid at the time, but I remember them all sort of hanging around in run down shopping precincts looking dead cool.
My mum would go out of her way to avoid them. She thought they were a bad influence.
They weren't too rowdy though. They just used to "hang out" much the same as the emo @rseholes do today.
I guess maybe at night they gave cause for concern, but they weren't what I would call "dangerous".
The Hong Kong Garden Take Away was, I think, just a coincidence, but it was v close to the part of Bromley where Siousxie came from (the posh bit) & I like to think it was somehow connected.
I had a girlfriend who's brother collected all the punk singles. He had them all on his wall & that was where I first heard The Clash & The Pistols.
I also heard Blondie for the first time & this was the one group that my mother would tolerate.
First LP I ever bought was Plastic Letters.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: Steve on August 24, 2007, 10:04:47
TBH I was a kid at the time, but I remember them all sort of hanging around in run down shopping precincts looking dead cool.
My mum would go out of her way to avoid them. She thought they were a bad influence.
They weren't too rowdy though. They just used to "hang out" much the same as the emo @rseholes do today.
I guess maybe at night they gave cause for concern, but they weren't what I would call "dangerous".
The Hong Kong Garden Take Away was, I think, just a coincidence, but it was v close to the part of Bromley where Siousxie came from (the posh bit) & I like to think it was somehow connected.
I had a girlfriend who's brother collected all the punk singles. He had them all on his wall & that was where I first heard The Clash & The Pistols.
I also heard Blondie for the first time & this was the one group that my mother would tolerate.
First LP I ever bought was Plastic Letters.

LOL @ the hanging round... looking dead cool! I guess thats all any kid does really, is just hang around waiting to be seen etc... No one was dangerous back then, today they carry knives and stuff into nighclubs these days - there is a whole different atmosphere to nighclubbing these days. But I'm just an ol' fart so?! (shrugs). I'll agree with you Steve and say that the chinese takeaway's name is connected to the song! It does seem like too much of a co-inkydink really! LOl I remember a friend of mine doing the same thing with ehr LPs and 7"s!! I always thought it was stupid to be honest. If you wanted to listen to it, you had the trouble of getting it off the wall again without scratching it. But then my mate was smart, she copied them all onto cassette tape first!! LOl @ your Mum tolerating Blondie!! hehehehe! Stebe your fisrt vinyl purchase is much 'cooler' than mine! I have to be honest and admit that my first vinyl purchase was the 'Do they know it's Chrsitmas time' LP... you all know the one, where all the 'stars' of the day in England (and then later a similar thing was done in the States, and inlcuded Michael Jackson) got together under Bob Geldof to sing and raise funds to feed Ethiopian Children. It stills gets airplay in my house at Christmas!!!

Steve

You're right about the knives & stuff :shock:
I don't go to clubs much these days tbh.
The records on the wall were in some sort of plastic pouches. Similar to the ones you used to get in the shops, so the discs just slipped in & out quite easily.
It's official then. The take away is directly related to the song :-D
We said so & anyone who disagrees can take it up with cherryred & her steel toe capped Docs ;)
Cheers
Steve

japanesebaby

Quote from: Sussex on August 23, 2007, 03:49:39
Quote from: iwannashagsimon on August 23, 2007, 03:41:45
I blame MTV. 

Me too..MTV sucks!  :smth078

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on August 23, 2007, 03:41:45

The new "punk" bands (like Green Day) just don't do it for me. 

Same here though..Such MtV type! :smth078

green day - ha! they are doing things like 'wroking class hero' and duetting with bono... hey where's the punk in that? hello....
today i dislike green day almost as much i dislike everything emo. it's crap!

i've never been much into punk rock (music) but i used to look like one a long time ago. i guess i was a weird hybrid: i looked like a punk, i had what might be called "a somewhat gothic mindset" but i mostly listened to metal bands anyway.
anyway, i've always had a sort of soft spot for punk as an attitude, even though i always kind of thought the music was going to be short-lived and not something i found really interesting. the thing with punk records for me: i could/can listen to one or two songs from some album but that's enough for me. so i think 7" singles were truly their best medium, not complete albums... with punk rock, i get bored very fast because whereas the attitude/sub-culture itself is very vivid and colorful, the music itself simply lacks contrasts.

anyway, all these new "punk" kids with they brand new misfits t-shirts and their perfectly black clothes, everything bought straight from some over-priced catalogue/online store using their dad's credit card... oh yeah. :roll: i don't mind if i sound like an old hag by saying that, but i am still ten times more punk even today than they are! because they got it all wrong...
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: Steve on August 25, 2007, 12:29:10
You're right about the knives & stuff :shock:
I don't go to clubs much these days tbh.
The records on the wall were in some sort of plastic pouches. Similar to the ones you used to get in the shops, so the discs just slipped in & out quite easily.
It's official then. The take away is directly related to the song :-D
We said so & anyone who disagrees can take it up with cherryred & her steel toe capped Docs ;)

LOL :P - yeah.. got a problem I'll sort ya!!  :shock: (hehehehe) cheeky sod you Steve!!! :smth023

~*CherryRed*~

japanesebaby:  [[green day - ha! they are doing things like 'wroking class hero' and duetting with bono... hey where's the punk in that? hello....
today i dislike green day almost as much i dislike everything emo. it's crap!]]

I have 2 points here, well maybe three.. LOL I agree with you firstly. 2ndly - I met a guy that is friends with Greenday, and he said that the singer bloke (don't no his name) gets really pissed/upset that people like us (and I mean oldies that remember the 'proper' punk bands!!!) don't take them seriuosly as a punk band!!! Which I found an odd statement really. But apparently this guy listens to all the stuff we do and really rates it as an influence on him!! All I had to say to that was = well why doesn't his music reflect that! And 3rdly... I had no idea what emo was until recently!!! I guess its a new term for a "new" musical style/scene.. however, my understanding of what it is, is that the music kids today class as "emo" is really just new wave/new romantic stuff from the 80's. Again an old style rehashed into something 'apparently' different. It's all a marketing thing anyway, so the bigboys can get more cashola outta the kids!
Right thats my whinge for the night... more to follow no doubt!

Carnage Visor

I like GREEN DAY because I grew up and was born around the time DOOKIE was released, I don't really consider them punk, they are more like Alternative/Pop Rock. They're funny, and that's what I like, and some of their tunes are catchy. But I'm not obsessed, and I don't walk around going, "Hey, I like Green Day so I'm punk!"

I don't think there's a wrong way to be punk, and I think when people set limits like that, that's when the whole "poser" crap comes in. Who's to say the original punks weren't posers? How can one decipher the difference between a real punk and a poseur when punk changes all the time, and every punk band is unique from one another?

It's quite a shame we have these limits as to how one acts and what that represents...and if I want to dress like Johnny Rotten or Sid Vicious, who's to say I can't? Does that mean I'm a poser if I enjoy the fashion in which punks have worn? Or does that just mean that it fits my taste?

All in all, this whole punk/emo/goth thing is overrated, and contradicts itself most of the time. There's no set ways to achieve each standard, and everybody views emo/punk/goth differently. Some people mistake punks for goths, some mistake emos for punks...what does it matter, really? In the end we're all people, we all have our own views on what is cool, so how are you sure, if indeed you are a punk, that someone ISN'T thinking the same of you; thinking YOU are a poser?

We, as people, get into a lot of trouble trying to label each other. Robert hates being called a goth, but many view his messy black hair, black eyeshadow, and introspective lyrics to be of the goth subculture...or worthey thereof. But he doesn't view himself as a goth, so who's right? The people calling him a goth or he himself not thinking that of himself? There is no way to tell which is correct...

So I wrap things up now. I don't even know if anybody read that, but if you did I congradulate you. You have just read some mumbo jumbo written by a 15-year old boy. High-five!

Thanks for your time. I'll be here all week.

iwannashagsimon

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on August 24, 2007, 01:36:11
I have to ask you 'iwannashagsimon' if you are aware of The Glove LP? That is the collabaration between Mr Smith and Steve Severin (of The Banshees). Its a thumping bloody good LP too, and has been released as a double delux CD edition - ooohh SPECIAL!!

Yup.  Been a Glove fan since 1990 when I got the re-issue of "Blue Sunshine" on blue vinyl.  And I just recently got the re-re-issue doluble CD with the bonus songs.  I also have another copy of "Blue Sunshine" on single CD.   3 copies of the same album...man, I gotta be a huge fan. :smth001

iwannashagsimon

Quote from: Steve on August 24, 2007, 10:04:47

I read someplace the skinheads used to pick on the Chinese workers at the local take away and Sioux claimed she'd fight them off.  So, I guess the Hong Kong Garden really was the basis for the song. Hanging around there so much it prolly influenced her to write about it.

Steve

I remember seeing a Green Day concert on the tv in a "coffe shop" in Amsterdam many years ago & I was very taken at the way they sounded like the old school punk bands of yesteryear.
There was no-one else really doing that & the closest I have found since then have been The Donna's (female Ramones) & Juliette & the Licks. :rocker
For that reason alone,I started buying their stuff & I have to say that American Idiot was still IMHO a great lp. :-D
But the Bono thing has completely fcuked it all up for me. :smth011
From the second I saw that video, I simply switched off Green Day from my mind :(
I still don't consider GD to be of the emo movement. That whole thing bothers me intensely. I mean...Tokio Hotel :? WTF is all that sh!t about?
Listen to an old punk lp & it is about a bunch of guys/ or girls having a laugh & shouting.
Now take My Chemical Romance or Tokio (can't spell) Hotel.
So over produced & up their own @rses.
I was on a train in Leeds a few weeks back & there were 3 teenage girls boasting about having water spat over them by the MCR singer at a gig :shock:
If it were punk, then it would be the other way around & it would have been beer.
Cheers
Steve

Janko

THERE'S THIS PHOTO OF ROBERT IN LEATHER JACKET WHERE HE TOTALLY LOOKS LIKE JOE STRUMMER...

:-D
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason