Coceteau Twins and Depeche Mode, any recommendations?

Started by the thread of a dream, June 18, 2019, 22:25:58

Previous topic - Next topic

the thread of a dream

Could anyone recommend any Coceteau Twins songs/albums, I've heard some of their work and I really like them. Also, besides Black Celebration and their hits, any other good Depeche Mode recommendations?
☆Slit the cats like cheese!
Then eat the sweet sticky things! ☆

dsanchez

If The Cure has 'Disintegration' then Cocteau Twins has 'Heaven Or Las Vegas' and Depeche Mode has 'Songs Of Faith And Devotion' (although 'Violator' comes really close).
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

BiscuityBoyle

The thing with Depeche Mode for me is that I believe that Martin Gore is a better singer than Dave Gahan, so many of the songs I like best tend to be sang by him.

This is Gahan's best vocal performance and one of their best songs for sure

Also quite a few of their early singles rule

BiscuityBoyle

Another beautiful song with Martin taking vocal duties

piggymirror

Cocteau Twins, I've never really liked them much.

I don't dislike them, but they're just "not bad" to me. I don't burst with excitement at the thought of them.

piggymirror

Depeche Mode, on the other hand... are best not mentioned in the same sentence as the Cocteau Twins.
More like in the same sentence as The Cure or David Bowie.
In fact, as much as I am a hardcore Cure fan... I'd say that I'm even more of a Depeche Mode fan.
And that's saying something.

In the following posts come a few gems.

From post #6 (the next after this) to post #31 (two pages away), these are a few Depeche Mode songs you might like.

piggymirror

-Photographic (Some Bizzare version). 1981. From the Some Bizzare compilation.
This is the first thing they ever released. Much punkier than the album version.

piggymirror

-Tora! Tora! Tora!. 1981. From the Speak & Spell album.
This is a Martin Gore song. Not all of Speak & Spell was written by Vince Clarke.
It is the darkest song on the album, and an indicator of what was to come.

piggymirror

-Oberkorn (It's A Small Town). 1982. B-side of The Meaning Of Love.
This is a case of a b-side being much much much better than the a-side. It could have been on Bowie's Low.
After Vince Clarke left Depeche Mode to create Yazoo, Depeche Mode were in a hurry to release a new album, so they had to resort to older, poppy songs Martin had written as a teenager (and which, to be honest, are not very good), because they had not enough new songs.
But oh how good were the new songs... this is one of them. If only they had given Martin a bit more time to write...

piggymirror

-Leave In Silence. 1982. From the A Broken Frame album.
The best song on the album by a mile. It should have been a hit. It wasn't. Because they were still marketed as a teenage boy band and this song is much better.
They stopped playing it live after the Black Celebration tour, although every now and then Martin still sings it live solo with piano, but the original version is a corker. I would gladly swap this by Enjoy The Silence in concerts.

piggymirror

-The Sun And The Rainfall. 1982. From the A Broken Frame album.
This is probably THE song that all hardcore Depeche Mode fans would like to see played live the most.
It's never been played live since 1982. A bit like The Cure and A Short Term Effect I suppose.

piggymirror

-Pipeline. 1983. From the Construction Time Again album.
This is simply one of the best electronic songs ever. And this is where Martin Gore made public that he is a fvcking genius as a songwriter and lyricist.
By the time they released this, they were doing things that no one else was doing, not even Kraftwerk.
Still unsurpassed in terms of creativity. Note that this is a blues!! Everything that makes Depeche Mode is within this song.

piggymirror

-Work Hard. 1983. B-side of Everything Counts.
This is written by both Martin Gore and Alan Wilder. It was one of the very few times they did write together.
The Berlin Depeche Mode trilogy (Construction Time Again, Some Great Reward, Black Celebration) is the "industrial" Depeche Mode period, and it is very obvious in this song.

piggymirror

-Fly On The Windscreen. 1985. B-side of It's Called A Heart. Later released in 1986 on the album Black Celebration.
It's astounding that this was the b-side. It's one of their darkest songs, lyrics-wise. But it has a very sexy sound.
It stands the test against most songs from Violator.

piggymirror

-Christmas Island. 1986. B-side of A Question Of Lust.
The last song that Martin Gore and Alan Wilder wrote together, and the best.
One of the three best Depeche Mode instrumentals.