A rare appearance by the Cure

Started by dsanchez, October 04, 2007, 22:53:59

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

A rare appearance by the Cure
RECONFIGURED ENGLISH BAND PLAYS THE DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL

The Cure will make its only U.S. appearance of the season Saturday, headlining the Download Festival at Shoreline Amphitheatre. But it won't be the same lineup fans have seen over the past decade. Since the band's last visit to the Bay Area in 2004, Smith has fired two members and brought back guitarist Porl Thompson - also Smith's brother-in-law - for his third stint in the band.

Complete article
http://www.mercurynews.com/music/ci_7080210?nclick_check=1

Related articles

Word Smith
http://www.metroactive.com/metro/10.03.07/musiclead-0740.html

In Between Albums
http://www.eastbayexpress.com/2007-10-03/music/in-between-albums/

Smith's top festival picks
http://www.mercurynews.com/music/ci_7080211
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

scatcat

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

ROGUE

I just read the second link -word Smith.
I just dont think of The Cure as an aging band, although we all are in reality. I see what Robert is saying and must be thinking, when people talk of other older bands slowly burning out,
but those older bands - have older audiences, The Cure reaches alot of people - teenagers and on.

I guess it is up to the band, and the driving force Robert himself, and gotta trust his best judgement.
I just dont want to hear of it., His audience isnt all oldies, at all.

I hope he isnt comparing himself, and The Cure to other bands- there is no comparison.!!

I just hope they keep on For alot longer !! 
:rocker

yes Thanx for links David - lots of interesting things, I have never really read up on Robert till this year.  :smth023
but always Loved the music.

crowbi_wan

Interesting to note that Robert listens to The Black Angels bootlegs.  My guess is he streams them at the Live Music Archive.  Perhaps I should upload my master from this summer.  Maybe he'll give it a spin  :smth020.  Also, he might film SWR.  So, Robert records too  :)  Why the hell don't The Cure just come out and say they allow taping?  It seems quite obvious to me that they are cool with it.  The same can't be said for the suits behind the music...eh Jeff?  :smth011

ROGUE

Quote from: crowbi_wan on October 06, 2007, 02:56:50
Interesting to note that Robert listens to The Black Angels bootlegs.  My guess is he streams them at the Live Music Archive.  Perhaps I should upload my master from this summer.  Maybe he'll give it a spin  :smth020.  Also, he might film SWR.  So, Robert records too  :)  Why the hell don't The Cure just come out and say they allow taping?  It seems quite obvious to me that they are cool with it.  The same can't be said for the suits behind the music...eh Jeff?  :smth011

yeh i noticed at the Melb concert that Robert was well aware of vid camera's in the audience, and didnt mind at all- was actually few and far between people who werent audio and/or visually taping, recording, photo's, ph cam's  etc.
He acknowledges them during the show and even faces them while performing.
The tickets- fine print, on the back said the usual stuff about 'NO' this, that and the other.  But there were no bag searches, and security didnt stop anyone either. Was the same last 2 times The Cure have visited Melb.

But this isnt the same with all bands, in large arena's.

Is it some contract that they cant break? But they are bending ?
I dont know, and not up to date on whatever recording companies allow, etc.  But was obvious The Cure didnt mind, at all during the performance.  :smth023

rodney

A lot of artists are okay with taping if you get in with the equipment, but they're not going to come out and say that they're okay with it.  Few bands have real recording policies concerning recording.

[labyrinth]

they've always said there was no problem in taping their show!  :smth001

ROGUE

I wonder what it is like seeing The Cure in U.S.A. - do they do bag searches, for safety etc and take out any recording devices and such ?

Probably it would be worse at a festival atmosphere, because of alot of bands playing, and also the alcohol policy, But what is it like in U.S.A with bags, do they have metal detectors ? ?
I havent been before, and am considering going. But not to any festivals.

God hope to see them again.  :rocker