Robert Smith's non-Cure work

Started by B.DEE, December 09, 2007, 17:35:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of Robert's non-Cure songs is your favourite?

Reeves Gabrels - Yesterday's Gone
Junkie XL - Perfect Blue Sky
Junior Jack - Da Hype
Earl Slick - Believe
Billy Corgan - Tolovesomebody
Phil Hartnoll - Please
Blink 182 - All Of This
Tweaker feat. Robert Smith - Truth Is

B.DEE

So I was thinking of some of the collaborations Robert has done in recent years, and was wondering what everyone else thought of them. Which work is your favourite, and why?

There were a few I didn't include in the poll because they're not really collaborations per se ...
"Faithless - Spiders, Crocodiles & Kryptonite"  and "Blank & Jones - A Forest" (which both rely heavily on Cure songs).
Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of anything I missed, that would be greatly appreciated.
Or if you think I left something out of the poll that should be in, I'll modify it so it's there.
Constantly talking is not necessarily communicating.

cesar_cure

Well i think that the song "please" is interesting and the song has something that makes me listen to it a lot of times along the day.

I also like the song that robert made in 2003 with tweaker "truth is"

i thought that you need me more more more...

Janko

WELL ALMOST ALL SONG ARE MADE IN THE SPAN OF 3-5 YEAR SO THEY ARE A BIT SAME TO ME

I LOVED TOLOVESOMEBODY, BELIVE, YESTERDAY'S GONE, ALL OF THIS...

I WISH HE DID SOME IN THE 80'S AND EARLY 90'S

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

iwannashagsimon

I voted for "Yesterday's Gone".  Only cos I'm not familiar with the others. :?

scatcat

I am sorry, but can honestly say that I am totally unfamiliar with all of the above versions... I will do some research and get back.. :?

I am dreadful because I don't listen to the radio!!  :oops:
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

jakso

I choose Perfect Blue Sky...Robert's vocal is so beautiful in this song.

Janko

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

Hero

I voted for Blink 182, its the only one i've heard  :smth023

Cure Freak

I haven't listen to any of these.  :oops:

revolt

I think Robert's best non-Cure work was done with The Glove ("Blues Sunshine") and the Banshees ('Hyaena"). The best songs on those albums might not be as good as the very best Cure, but they are not that far...

He also did some remixes a long time a go that kind of sounded cool... There was one for And Also The Trees and one for the Cranes, that I know, maybe more.

These latest collaborations don't sound very inspired. I think he hasn't been choosing the best artists to work with... They will possibly get some extra popularity or credibility for working with Robert, but I cannot see what Robert is getting from these.

japanesebaby

Quote from: revolt on August 01, 2008, 11:26:14
He also did some remixes a long time a go that kind of sounded cool... There was one for And Also The Trees and one for the Cranes, that I know, maybe more.

the cranes song 'jewel' (1993) was remixed robert smith and bryan "chuck" new. at least that's what the liner notes in my cd single say. i've never been sure what robert's part there was and which one of them did what.

by the way, i think 'truth is' by tweaker feat. robert smith should probably be included in the poll?
that's one of my favorite newer collaborations, one of the few that i do like actually, together with 'yesterday's gone'.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Cure

Yeah, YESTERDAY'S GONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    =]
[b]floating here like this with you
underneath the stars
alight for 13 billion years
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

wish-man

I voted for Believe, as sometimes I feel the same as he sing  :smth023
and the way the rain comes down thats how I feel inside...

KingOfSomeIsland

Perfect Blue Sky by far, that song is trancendent

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 20, 2008, 09:49:05
Quote from: revolt on August 01, 2008, 11:26:14

the cranes song 'jewel' (1993) was remixed robert smith and bryan "chuck" new. at least that's what the liner notes in my cd single say. i've never been sure what robert's part there was and which one of them did what.

Doesn't that remix include a 5-string bass melodic motive that wasn't on the original and that really sounds like The Cure? I think this answers part of your question...  ;)