4:13 Dreamers

Started by cane5, October 29, 2008, 16:17:18

Previous topic - Next topic

cane5

Some people on this board are self righteous Cure genious wannabes.They think that nothing touches the grand old songs of yesterday.They give little credence to the new album 4:13 Dream.They have expectations of some perfect world that they have devised in their head will be the perfect Cure album.

I must tell you that you all have missed the boat.In a day when music lacks honesty and just nice old fashioned alternative rock robert has given us a modern day gift.There are some refreshing new sounds and Roberts voice is amazing consdering his age.There are some older sounds as Robert gets back to his roots and away from the slow plodding style you either love or hate.

This is an album you do want to listen to over and over again.It is a album that will be popular in a mainstream way.If Robert has chosen to go that way so be it he has made his mark already.For you 4: Dreamers out ther get a life and get with the program.Robert and the Cure is alive and well.

japanesebaby

Quote from: cane5 on October 29, 2008, 16:17:18
Some people on this board are self righteous Cure genious wannabes.They think that nothing touches the grand old songs of yesterday.They give little credence to the new album 4:13 Dream.They have expectations of some perfect world that they have devised in their head will be the perfect Cure album.

or, perhaps you have devised this idea in your head? ;)

ps. no offense but a very nice (erhm) first post.  :lol:
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

Some people on this board are self righteous Cure genious wannabes.

That's quite a first post, isn't? :lol: Welcome to Curefans.com.

I think there are disagreements like in any place, but most people here thinks the album is great, the songs are great, but the mixing/production poor (which is a different story).

This is an album you do want to listen to over and over again

Agree. Altought I think the song's live versions sound better.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

crowbi_wan

Quote from: dsanchez on October 29, 2008, 19:11:51
Some people on this board are self righteous Cure genious wannabes.

That's quite a first post, isn't? :lol: Welcome to Curefans.com.

I think there are disagreements like in any place, but most people here thinks the album is great, the songs are great, but the mixing/production poor (which is a different story).

This is an album you do want to listen to over and over again

Agree. Altought I think the song's live versions sound better.

David, you pretty much posted the exact thing I was.  This isn't the only time a first post has been one on the attack.   :?  You know what they say about first impressions...

cane5, who exactly are you talking to when you say this?

I think many of the songs from the new album are quite good, a few even great (Underneath The Stars, The Hungary Ghost, The Real Snow White).  As far as I can tell, most members here seem to really enjoy the songs as well.  The dislikes some of of have is with the sound quality.  It's poor.  That's a fact.  Why is it that someone always comes along and misinterprets our gripes with the new album?  It's been said over and over over...  :roll:

Good songs, shitty sound.  Glad we have the live versions from Rome. 

Welcome to curefans ya blowhard.

cane5

First off I want to thank many of you for welcoming me to the board. Since I am new I am not being specific to anyone with this posting. I do find however that the tremendous amount of  mentions to the sound and production of the album at least to a newcomer is distracting. I just played the album to a friend who was not excited going into it but after he had heard it was swayed in a way that he had just been through a cosmic experience.He has a great voice ,knows music and did not mention anything about the production.I will admit that the 'Loudness issue is very much evident and really concerning.But most will not blink an eye at the production and I cant see where it is openly flawed as many of you think.I will agree that the live version for instance of 'Underneath the stars'is better over all but thats the nature of the song.Some live versions will fall short and not measure up to the album.

That being said I am glued to the board and listening to a group of posters I admire because you all care to know the nuances of the Cure sound.but lets not forget that some people might consder the lyrics to be more important.The constant reference to its production causes some to misunderstand and most of us do not gage things so technically.In my case I interpreted some of it to be too critical.

I have also read over 35 reviews by the press,many comments on You Tube that sell this album short.I do not see it.I think many of these people live in the past and very few understand it.The ones that want to see it for what it is hail the album and see what it has to offer.I for one Join that group and thought it necessary to boldly express my opinion.

cane5

I ran into a website called Last.FM  There I found on the front page message after message from Cure fans commenting on 4;13 dream. I was amazed at the amount of opinions posted there.I would say the number is close to a thousand posts.While many of the posts are positive many many just sell it short and brush it off or try to compare it to of course what else 'Disintagration' mostly. I now see where this board is mostly critical of the sound and Ive acknowledged that but if you go to that board you will see why I used this forum to lash out.Of course I did that over there as well.This will be the last posting on this matter.but it is interesting to see so many postings already and the album has just been released.

japanesebaby

Quote from: cane5 on October 31, 2008, 05:32:38
but if you go to that board you will see why I used this forum to lash out.Of course I did that over there as well.This will be the last posting on this matter.

good.
whatever they say on some other board, just coming here (or elsewhere) and "using that board to lash out" - no offense but that's pretty lame. there's nothing wrong in people being honest with their opinions but if you really wanted to achieve something in terms of wanting to say something positive about the album, wanted to defend it, i can't see you achieving very much much at all - because you chose/are choosing such a negative way yourself(!).

that's because lashing out is just lashing out and never hardly motivates anyone to discuss, let alone take you very seriously.
i can't stop you from going from board to board and lashing out here and there if you want, but then you also have to be prepared that your lashing outs probably will only have a negative impact on people, they probably won't respond to you and will just start hopping over your posts - simply because you are not being constructive enough to discuss with.

cane5

Japanesebaby

I agree with you and if you look at the 4:13 thread on this board I just talk about the album in general.And thats why I go to these forums.I enjoy in depth discusssions on Cure songs because there are so many that are interesting.Lashing out is silly accept when you need to get someones attention to state a positive and thats what Ive tried to do.

japanesebaby

Quote from: cane5 on October 31, 2008, 15:05:48
Lashing out is silly accept when you need to get someones attention to state a positive and thats what Ive tried to do.

no, what i meant was that lashing out is always silly because you can't get people's attention in a positive manner by lashing out (which is something done in a negative manner) - appearances/first impression do count.
therefore, even if your intention was to state a positive (like you said), you actually only manage to state a negative. and therefore if you want to state positive thoughts, going around the web lashing out here and there will only work against you. as simple as that.

anyway let's call it a day here and talk about what we're all here to talk about instead.

cane5

In the end its all about the passion I have for the Cure.And while there are many great Cure songs I really think this album deserves some attention bad production,too loud etc.

alt.end

i think forum is for everyone - people that like the band, people that don't, people who want to lash out, those that want in depth discussion, or those seeking information about the band. some people like to read others posts without necessary posting a lot, too. while some like to post a lot without even reading what other people are saying.

uffff.

it is like it is. we should accept that.

sorry for my English, i come from Europe.

Secrets

I think 4:13 Dream is a pretty good album.  Something of a creeper perhaps because of the anticipation brought about by the long time between albums and numerous delays, setbacks, and then live versions of the songs.  When it finally arrived, it was hard to know what really to expect.
The album has grown on me quite well, though I do find there are bits that I don't like.

What intrigues me are the album sales numbers being posted at COF. It's been a longtime since I've seen such interest in Bob and the boys in the English press, particularly such positive praise for this album, and yet the sales are the complete opposite of that. Did all the Cure fans get burnt on the last album or something?

cane5

Seems that in the US sales are doing just fine. Billboard Top 200 has 4:13 dream currently at #16. Pretty good for an album that was released a few weeks ago.

jbud1980

been a while since i last posted, and i will make this short. just wanna throw in my two cents.  :roll:

have been listening to the album, and outside of underneath the stars (great live) i must say that i am not really impressed. ok, i will always love anything the cure puts out, but that is because i am a fan. but, on the flip side, isn't a fan allowed to not like something as well? the album sounds amateurish and sorta sloppy to me, especially since they delayed the release by a year...

is baby rag dog book going to come out as a single later on, or???

crowbi_wan

Quote from: jbud1980 on November 09, 2008, 02:18:55
been a while since i last posted, and i will make this short. just wanna throw in my two cents.  :roll:

have been listening to the album, and outside of underneath the stars (great live) i must say that i am not really impressed. ok, i will always love anything the cure puts out, but that is because i am a fan. but, on the flip side, isn't a fan allowed to not like something as well? the album sounds amateurish and sorta sloppy to me, especially since they delayed the release by a year...

is baby rag dog book going to come out as a single later on, or???

Of course you're allowed to not like something.  I had thought the album as a whole would grow on me.  A few songs have, but others are just sounding worse with each listen and don't even remotely interest me any longer (at least until I hear them live).  Currently I'm only listening to The Real Snow White and The Hungry Ghost.  Glad they're back-to-back so I don't have to skip around a bunch. 

As for It's Over ("baby rag dog book") coming out as a single, I haven't heard anything to suggest that.  Pretty sure if a 5th single was going to happen it would happened already in order to promote the album.