Your first time with The Cure

Started by dsanchez, March 23, 2006, 20:50:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Trust...

My story:

I was 14 à 15 years old, my first album I had from The Cure was Wish, in MC version, (was in that time my favourite). Than I had Standing on the beach MC, KMKMKM MC, Mixed Up MC.

And the following live CD's:

CD called "M" live at L'Olympia - Paris - France - June 7th 1982
CD double called "Easy Cure" live at Bremen - West-Germany - 30-10-87
CD double called "Darkmen" live in Leysin - Switzerland - July 6th 1990

I loved this music so much, but I missed all the live gigs in my country, because off not knowing, friends with other taste of music , ...

Than I grown up and lost for a few years my favourite music  :roll: And on a day in 2003 I heard Robert's voice on the radio, with the collaboration "Da Hype", and I said, Hay they still exist  :D

And than I start searching and decided to go to Werchter in 2004; and from that magical moment I start loving The Cure again in a deeper sense. I bought all I could. And now I'm addicted and owner of 291 different cure-songs  :-D

I need to hear a cure song every day, to make my day good.
No other band can give me this feeling, by hearing there music, no other band can give that magical feeling.

Now people call it an obsession, but hey "I DON'T CARE"

Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

alwaysprayingforRAIN

Quote from: Trust... on May 03, 2009, 21:20:02

your not alone with that one!!!!!   :smth039    i don't have a single friend that likes the cure as much as i do, but i don't care as long as i have their music. and curefans.com of course... i need to talk about them somewhere....   :smth041
Say hello on a day like today
Say it every time you move
The way that you look at me now
Makes me wish i was you

Trust...

Quote from: alwaysprayingforRAIN on May 12, 2009, 17:00:57
Quote from: Trust... on May 03, 2009, 21:20:02

your not alone with that one!!!!!   :smth039    i don't have a single friend that likes the cure as much as i do, but i don't care as long as i have their music. and curefans.com of course... i need to talk about them somewhere....   :smth041

:smth023 well said  ;)
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

mscurefan

The first song I heard was A Forest and the first concert I went to was "Carnage Visors" in 1980. They were a three piece back then and instead of having a band as back-up they made a film "Carmage Visors" which went for about 45 minutes and was a mixture of animation, photography and film.  I fell helplessly in love.  And I still love them 29 years later!!!!

1/2anOctopuss

I found a copy of "The Walk EP" in the used record bin at a store on "the ave" in Seattle 1983. Loved it Just One Kiss especially blew me away. Been a fan ever since.

ChoonyFish

Good stories ranging from 79-08!

Pre-fandom:

I had The Lovecats on the LP "Now 1" in 1983 - I liked the song, but that's as far as it went, really.  I was into pop like Kajagoogoo and Michael Jackson! But I remember listening to a Cure concert on the radio, must have been 1984.  I remember thinking they were harsh and punky!  :oops:  And they didn't play Lovecats!

Fandom part 1:

Heard Lullaby on the radio in April 89 and loved it instantly.  Bought the 12" of it the next day.  (The 12" mix is still my fave Cure song.) Flipped it over and heard Babble and Out of Mind - these made me think of that old "punky" concert I'd listened to in '84.  I dusted off "Now 1" and played Lovecats - thought it was weird how they had such different sounding songs.  Bought Standing on a Beach (vinyl) and was astonished how many songs I recognised - I knew most of side 2, the poppy stuff.  Had no idea it was The Cure that sang The Walk!  I was now a fan.  Starting with Distintegration, I had bought half their back catalogue by the time I saw them live - only 3 months after buying that first 12".

The inbetween years:
I went off them in '91.  I'd discovered and moved on from goth music to industrial - all my friends went off them in a snobbish way.  And I was young and followed suit.  Silly really.  I sold all the records except Disintegration.

Fandom part 2:
Picked up Staring at the Sea cheap on eBay in 2001/2 as I felt like being nostalgic and I no longer cared what anyone thought. Quite liked it, but it sounded a little weird after all that time. Bought the CD of Disintegration in Spring 2004 and I was overwhelmed with memories of the summer of '89 and love for those songs.  Bought the back catalogue all over again (this time on CD).  Saw them at the Move festival in 2004 - it was like being reunited with my first love.  :D

mothtoaflame

I think I was about seven when my friend let me have Galore because she decided she hated The Cure. I left it on the floor of my room for a while before I gave it a listen - and immediately feel in love. I had never heard music I could relate to so much, with such feeling and passion, with so much emotion. It completely changed my life. I listened to that CD on repeat every day for about three years before I went out and got The Head On The Door and Disintegration. I proceeded to drive my family and friends crazy with those ones, as well. :smth020 And, many years later, The Cure is still my favorite band, and 99% of the music I listen to.
dull, dull, dull epigrams!

Zavaglia

I grew up listening to them.  My mom was a big fan so I guess I've heard them since I've been born, but I remember when I was young, I would always listen to The 13th and Strange Attraction.  My first album I bought was Boys Don't Cry when I was 4 years old, but I usually just listened to my moms and uncles CDs.
My name is pronounced Zuh-VOL-EE-uh

kingofsorrow

discovered them in '89, i was 15. it was finding a light switch in the dark for me.
when my daughter was little i would sing her cure songs since i didn't know any lullaby's or kids songs. she was quite fond of songs from "disentergration". my little act that went with "lullaby" would have her giggling like crazy and "untitled" was the 1 sure song that would calm her down when she was crying.  needless to say she has become an avid cure fan.
الحس تيزي
nagetemo mou imi datta chigiretetta kuso kurae omoide nanka
TO LIVE, IS TO BE A SLAVE TO PAIN.
to live is to suffer but to survive Well that's to find meaning in the suffering.

Underneath the Stars

with The Cure? I think I remember watching the Trilogy when i was seven or eight. How about you?

skellington

I didn't know it at the time, but when I was around 6 or 7 I saw some music show on tv and I remember Robert's hair, I think they showed a clip of Lullaby and Just Like Heaven. It kind of scared me, but I am glad I know who they are now...the best band ever! :-D
Its Just Like a Dream...:)

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Iused2bme

hello

i a new member and was reading some of the topics here and i came across this and thought why not make my first post among my fellow cure fans about my first cure experience.   well in it was in high school and i was aware of the cure through a girl who i really liked.  she used to wear this big white sweater with a large pict of robert's face.  although i did not know much of their music, what i did know was that it seemed that all the "artsy" people really liked them ALOT.  anyway, i remember being at a party and this guy put on the mixed up album  and i head "close to me" at the moment i did not know who the band was but i remember really really liking it ALOT.  well i went out and got mixed up and listened to it and fell in love with it.  then i got "wish" and that was just fantastic.  but i never went any deeper than that for a while.  i do remember in 1992 when the cure came to pittsburgh i was with a group of people who managed to get front row seats to the show (with that girl i really liked btw) but i was not able to go to the show.  still have the un-ripped ticket.  but that was it for a while, well until 1996.  the cure did not do much during that period due to some legal stuff i guess. but they did release w.m.s in spring of 1996 and they toured that summer.  well a group of us who liked the cure got together and got tickets to the show.  to be perfectly honest i did not have any idea what to expect but i was looking forward to it.  what i saw and heard floored me, it was so good i can't to this day describe it.  i clearly remember walking out of the show with this girl anna saying "my god, i never thought they would be that good".  and they were, i could not believe it, just amazing.  well from that point on, i have been deeply into the cure.  went back and got all of the older stuff, fell in love with so many songs, have not missed a tour since and will never miss one again.  what i feel about the cure, and i am sure that some of you do as well, is that i feel so much like those songs so often.  for example, in a letter to elise the lyrics describe the end of a relationship of some sort and robert writes ... and the promises broke and the make believe ran out.  I can't tell you how many times i have felt that way at the end of a relationship, just like that.

skellington

I got into the Cure just last year around this time when I took a trip to New York for Thanksgiving. Before leaving I was listening to my Ipod and came across a song that I had never heard before (most of the songs on my Ipod where downloaded by my mom so there was a lot of stuff there that was new to me) So I come upon this one song that makes me go back to it over and over again, its just so different and something about it makes me feel so good. I look at the title and it says "Just Like Heaven" by the Cure, and I was like "The Cure?" hmmm and then I proceeded to finish my homework. So skip to the New York trip I am shopping in a little clothing shop that my mom used to go to all the time (she used to live in New York) and we see some cool t-shirts. My mom gets a DEVO one, and I see this awesome David Bowie t-shirt (it was blue with him wearing an eyepatch) anyway it looked really cool so I wanted to get it, but low and behold they only had larges and it was WAY too big so I was really disappointed. So I look and see if there is another t-shirt that is cool and I look at the bottom row and see this black one with a guy standing with his back to us, a guitar jetting out from his side and a tangled mess of hair that looks oddly familiar, like I'd seen it somewhere before a long time ago. I tell the guy to show me that one and when he turns it around the name "The Cure" is on the back and Im like" Oh my gosh its the guy who does that song that I like!" So I buy the t-shirt and soon start flipping through my Ipod to see if there are any more Cure songs on it. Only one other 'The End of The World" is on it, and I play those songs all the way home. When I get home I do some research and discover all the wonders of the Cure. My first few videos I saw where "Lullaby" "Just Like Heaven"  "Close to Me" "Friday I'm in Love" "LoveCats" I was hooked, and this interview sealed the deal Robert Smith of The Cure Interviewed in 1985 The first cd I got was the "Best Of" for christmas and bought my first cd when I was looking at a college to apply for, There was a booth that had old cds and I was like "they've got to have some Cure" So I found "Staring at the Sea" and  "Disintegration" and the rest is history:)
Its Just Like a Dream...:)

ericvonx

My friend Jan had the Boys Dont Cry LP (the export version of TIB with the early singles, the pyramid coverart) and taped it for me when A Forest first became a hit. So I had that tape and bought the A forest single and was instantly hooked. What a different band! One year later the band toured in the circustent for Faith and I saw one of those gigs - i hardly remember it but it made a lasting impression because ever since then the Cure has been a part of my musical life even if their output post-Disintegration doesn't realy appeal to me.