Songs that mention Cure titles?

Started by crowbi_wan, January 09, 2010, 08:01:16

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbi_wan

Can you think of some songs that mention Cure titles somewhere in the lyrics?  Don't bother with something so obvious as Cold, Want, Faith, etc.  Nothing like that please.  Way too easy.

A few I was thinking about.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Death of a Martian
Blood flowers in the kitchen
Signing off and winding down

Death Cab for Cutie - Grapevine Fires
The Firemen worked in double shifts
With Prayers for rain on their lips

With these two bands both (at least John has stated such) being influenced by The Cure, I wonder if these lyrics are more than just words.  Just look at the line following Blood flowers in the kitchen.  That line echos what want Blowers was to be.  The last Cure album.  The Cure signing off and winding down.  Death of a Martian is also the final track of RHCP's last album.  Maybe I'm reading too much into this and it's just a coincidence.  I just found it interesting.

As for Grapevine Fires.  Who knows.  The lyric fits the song well.  Certainly a fireman battling an impossible blaze would be praying for rain.  Still, I'd be interested to know if Ben Gibbard had been listening to Disintegration during the time the song was written.

japanesebaby

this is a good topic. :D

if song names alone are allowed(?), there's a Kent song called 'M'.

Kent : M

i really like this song, a very sad one, the lyrics are about someone waiting next to a dying person, saying goodbye.
i wonder if 'M' stand for mother (letter m would apply in swedish too)? or perhaps someone with a name starting with m.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on February 21, 2010, 02:34:25
this is a good topic. :D

if song names alone are allowed(?), there's a Kent song called 'M'.

i really like this song, a very sad one, the lyrics are about someone waiting next to a dying person, saying goodbye.
i wonder if 'M' stand for mother (letter m would apply in swedish too).

Sure, titles are acceptable.  Kent uses M in the same fashion as The Cure did for their song of the same name.  Kent's song, at least the theme, reminds me of the Smashing Pumpkins track Once Upon a Time. 

Speaking of Smashing Pumkins, and keeping on topic, their song Plume begins with the line...

Oh yeah, another day
Oh yeah, gotta play

Okay, a pretty easy one there.   :roll:  But it seems Mr. Corgan makes use of it elsewhere.

From 'With Every Light'

Away with all the troubles that you've made
Away with waiting for another day

From 'Pox'

Another plastic squeeze
Another day between a lost year

From 'Here is No Why'

The useless drag of another day

Interestingly enough, later in the song we see the lyric "may the king of gloom be forever doomed".  Not sure who Billy is writing about in this one, but the lyrics suggest a fading (in his own mind) rock star with a penchant for wearing makeup. 

I suppose we can even add Clones (We're All) in keeping with the Smashing Pumpkins/Another Day connection, though it's really an Alice Cooper song covered by SP on the Bullet with Butterfly Wings disc from their Aeroplane Flies High box set.  A cover of 'A Night Like This' can also be found on this disc.  Just joining the dots there people.  ;)     

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on February 23, 2010, 03:29:52
Just joining the dots there people.  ;)     

pretty interesting, never noticed all that. then again, i don't know SP as well as you do.

of course there are those obvious things like '17' on on 'adore', and maybe this is one of those way too generic things to even mention, but i also always associated the repeated line "we must ever be apart" on 'ava adore' as some sort of reference to the cure.
like a sort of "counter-opinion" to the sadness in the cure's treatment of the theme.
anyway, could be a bit too generic. 
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on February 23, 2010, 20:44:04
Quote from: crowbi_wan on February 23, 2010, 03:29:52
Just joining the dots there people.  ;)     

pretty interesting, never noticed all that. then again, i don't know SP as well as you do.

of course there are those obvious things like '17' on on 'adore', and maybe this is one of those way too generic things to even mention, but i also always associated the repeated line "we must ever be apart" on 'ava adore' as some sort of reference to the cure.
like a sort of "counter-opinion" to the sadness in the cure's treatment of the theme.
anyway, could be a bit too generic. 

Well, it's no secret Billy is a big fan of The Cure.  Besides covering some songs both on record and in concert and having Robert as a guest vocalist on one of his records, he's been rumored to have been quite the collector of Cure bootlegs.  And certainly there are some hints at Cure songs/themes in various Smashing Pumpkins songs.  You mentioned a song from Adore above.  The writing for that album took place as Billy's mother was dying.  The whole album is pretty melancholy and certainly reflects the mood Billy was in at that time.  What better material to listen to (become inspired to write?) than some sad Cure tunes?   

Anyway, maybe this topic is too difficult or the matches are too general/have nothing at all to do with The Cure.  I suppose we could change this to a Cure-influenced and similarities thread.  Or do we have something like that already?