The Cure album 2004 (vinyl disc)

Started by dsanchez, August 26, 2005, 00:22:58

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Wow..was nice to find that vinyl disc are still released. Yesterday I found "The Cure" album in a double vinyl disc in a store here in Peru. Price was about 23US$...I love vinyl discs! 8)

David.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Does your copy happen to have "This Morning" on it? Many people bought it for this reason before the singles containing it were released.

I think vinyl does have a special sound. When I listened to a record a couple years ago, I found the sound much more lifelike and "breathing", almost 3D. And this was on an old crappy turntable. But maybe I was intoxicated at the time and just imagining it... :smt033

Lots of people argue that vinyl sounds better. I've seen some very heated debates over this. Personally I think digital has more accurate sound, but vinyl has more warmth.

I was impressed with vinyl, but it's so inconvenient in comparison to digital formats. :(

P.S. You had "2005" in the subject. I changed it because I'm pretty darn sure that album was released last year. ;-)

rodrigodechile

THIS MORNING IS MY FAVORITE SONG OF ALBUN THE CURE ;-)

lostflower4

Mine too!

I've never heard a good reason why so many tracks were left off the American release, or why there were so many versions period. Maybe just make people buy it more than once? I bought the Japanese version just to get some of the B-sides before they were released separately.

I think the reason people don't like this album is because some of the best songs are B-sides. If you put all the songs including the B-sides on one CD (I've done this), it is a much, much better album!

dsanchez

Nothing like to play vinyl for your girlfriend with some candles and a bootle of wine..A vinyl is a vinyl :smt054

I'm looking forward to this!

David.

Quote from: lostflower4
I was impressed with vinyl, but it's so inconvenient in comparison to digital formats. :(
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

askbill

I too bought the vinyl of The Cure, and when I listen at home, it is the vinyl I listen to. In fact I still only have the American release of 3IB, Boys Don't Cry on vinyl.

And if I can whine for just a moment...Robert always said that it was the record companies that forced him to put out different versions of the albums, against his will. However, when he left his old label and was given complete freedom to do whatever he wanted and sign with whomever he wanted, what we ended up with was an album, The Cure, that has more different versions than any other Cure album ever. Robert wouldn't be trying to put one by us, would he? :?

Andy

What was the reason for The Cure changing labels after such a long time on Fiction / Polydor??

Cheers
Andy

lostflower4

Quote from: AndyWhat was the reason for The Cure changing labels after such a long time on Fiction / Polydor??

Cheers
Andy

Yes, and Elektra in the United States... I never understood if they were dropped from the label, or if it was their choice.

I know for a fact that Fiction Records no longer exists, but again I don't know the reason. I want answers!!! :smt076

Andy

But it looks like Fiction does still exist... www.fictionrecords.co.uk.

There are a couple of mentions of the Cure on the forum, but nothing about why they are no longer on Fiction.

Cheers
Andy

arielcc

Well Chris Parry sold Fiction and ended the relationship with Robert Smith!!
it seems that Chris was tired of everything after 22 years of fiction (something like that), i read in an interview that chris sold fiction without saying a word to Robert!

to David: this morning is still available as a b side cd single in woodstock music center in jockey plaza for 13 usd

ariel

Andy

Thanks for the pointer. Did a search and found the following article:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ChainofFlowers/rc0104.html

Cheers
Andy

Janko

Vinyl ... well, you'd be listenning to 8 songs instead of 12 on "Disintegration" if there wasnt CD's  :-D

But what a scam to drop out the BEST songs from CD just to put them on other formats. Really poignant move!  :twisted:

Way to go, Bob!  :evil:

Truth Goodness and Beauty, This Morning, Going Nowhere, Your God Is Fear, Fake, Why Cant I Be Me - 6 stabs in the back!  :roll:

As Craig said on COF and I totally agree:

"And that's it. Starts off great, then goes flat. There's 2/3rds of an excellent album there, but the really good stuff is saved for b-sides and other countries. So now we go from really good to excellent:

Going Nowhere (10) - Absolutely beautiful! As I told Nadine before I gave her the album, "if you don't love this, not like, LOVE this, I will refuse to ever talk to you again. Seriously." Wait until you hear Roger's piano. Why can't we have more of that? Wind chimes, piano, acoustic guitar and the Bass VI. Too beautiful for words. The chimes sound almost exactly like the start of Pictures of You. The only problem here is that it's so short. It needs 3-4 more minutes to really "develop", but I guess it's good that it leaves you begging for more. I'm just hoping the band include this in the live set.

This Morning (10) - Sad, moody and slow. More piano! Love this one too. It's that sad, gloomy classic Cure sound done perfectly. Fantastic bass once again, and great synth and piano. Would not be out of place on Disintegration or Bloodflowers. Robert's softly spoken vocals at the 4 minute mark will be one of the most beloved parts of any of these songs. Just a fantastic song. Why are they wasting this on a b-side? Another criminal act.

Fake (8.5) - Another early favorite. Love the music, especially Roger's keyboards. Slightly popish, but in an excellent way. Destined to be another classic b-side.

Truth Beauty & Goodness (8) - Wasn't crazy about it the first time, but it grows on me with each listen. Don't like the start of it. Robert's held note, up and down, on the first "beautiful" is brilliant. Will give you goosebumps. The six string bass on this sounds a bit like Last Dance. Very good. Will probably love it by monday. : )
"
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

lostflower4

Janko,

You really hit the nail on the head on your B-sides description. "This Morning" is my favorite of all. I must have listened to it 15 times in a row when I first heard it! :smt020

P.S. I bet there are even more great B-sides and outtakes from this album that we've never heard. Maybe we'll get them on a re-release, but damn, they need to hurry up! :smt091

arielcc

I dont agree with all this b sides better than album songs thing!

i mean if robert chose 12 songs for an album, for example wish, then we have to accept it as a THE WISH ALBUM, althought we all know there are better songs left as b sides!! like big hand or this twilight garden

whenever there are tracks that didnt get into the album, robert has explained the reason!! CURE ALBUMS ARE MORE THAN A COLLECTION OF GOOD SONGS, cure albums are concepts!!

in the case of the last album, robert has explained the definitive THE CURE album is the rest of the world edition with 12 tracks! so that is it!

about the differences in the number of tracks in different formats lets say in the case of disintegration, (12 tracks cd and cassette and  10 tracks vinyl). it's been very usual in the 80s for english bands to do it, i used to consider it as a gift for fans than a way to sell more records! only fans buy all the formats!! so that is the prize for the real fan!

ariel

lostflower4

Quote from: arielccI dont agree with all this b sides better than album songs thing!

I agree with you in the sense of Wish. It was a strong enough album on its own. The B-sides were a nice addition on the side, and kind of had a different sound that may not have fit in so well with the rest of the songs. After all, Robert said that most of those songs were written in between the time of Disintegration and Wish, so they had more elements of both.

But on "The Cure", I think it was a weaker album and needed some support by adding more tracks. I didn't know that Robert called the 12 song version the definitive one. Being from the U.S., I always think of the 11 song version, which seems like it's missing something. Yes, it's good to leave some special songs off to be discovered later, but I think this album needed a little boost of some kind. The Japanese 14 song version could have been the "definitive" version, in my opinion. That still leaves room for a few great B-sides.