kids hockey fight

Started by japanesebaby, June 02, 2008, 21:43:05

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

kids hockey fight

:lol:

*edit: ok sure it's kind of sad and stupid really. but i just couldn't help but laugh when watching them walking around on their skates, trying to chase each other when they could hardly even stand up without falling down - but in general, fighting sucks and hockey fights are a complete waste of everyone's time.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

j

HEY!!!  You are making fun of my sport!  Fights in hockey really are a necessary part of the game, but seriously only for adults, not the kids.  Trust me...fights get anger out and keep players from using the weapon that they carry in their hands(hockey stick) as a weapon.  It also keeps players honest to a point.  You know that if you do something cheap, you will pay for it.

But this particular one is ridiculous....those kids can't be more than 4 years old!

robiola

When I lived in Pittsburgh my boyfriend frequently took (dragged) me to see the Penguins, and after watching a few games I kind of got the impression the players overdid the "venting manly anger and manly aggression because I am so manly that my manliness expresses itself through these manly bursts of testosterone on the field" because it was expected of them. Like it had become part of the show and people would be disappointed if they didn't get enough of it. You didn't get in a fight once during the whole game? What are you, a sissy or something? I don't know, sometimes it just seemed a little "staged", or forced.
But I could be serioulsy wrong, so don't bash me, j  :smth100

PS. Of course, the great Mario Lemieux did not indulge in such silliness. Well, not often. Mario is a classy guy! ;)

j

No worries robiola.  I'm right and everyone else is wrong ! :lol: ;) :roll:

Super Mario's fights:

http://goingfivehole.blogspot.com/2008/02/mario-lemieux-fight-compilation.html

robiola

japanesebaby

Quote from: j on June 02, 2008, 23:28:09
HEY!!!  You are making fun of my sport!  Fights in hockey really are a necessary part of the game, but seriously only for adults, not the kids.  Trust me...fights get anger out and keep players from using the weapon that they carry in their hands(hockey stick) as a weapon.

huh sorry j :oops: (afraid of getting beaten by a hockey stick or something :eek:)

necessary part of the game? i actually used to watch hockey quite a bit but i never liked the fighting scenes, always switched the channel there and felt annoyed that the players were wasting everyone's precious time (both their own and us who were watching) there.
i'd say grown ups could be expected to not let their anger out in a wrong way so fight "shouldn't" be necessary. but i guess it's not the ideal world that we live in.
or maybe i just don't fully get hockey then.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

j

No...seriously, having been to hockey games in Europe and watching my son play in Europe (and then hearing his comments about being the only one playing physical at his camp), I am aware of 2 different styles of hockey.  The European/Russian style is finesse and speed and is truly amazing to watch. 

However, the American/Canadian style is defense and physically oriented.  You dump the puck over the blue line, then you chase it and check the guy going with you into the corner, then your teammate gets the puck.  Europeans tend to pass to gain the blue line and hit it with speed.

2 different styles, 2 different tastes....however, having played all my life through and after college, I have to say that I prefer the way I play.  In your face, dirty hockey!  I'll call your mother a **** on the ice, slash your ankles, and butt end you with my stick, but after the game, we're sharing drinks at the bar!