How do you celebrate christmas in your country?

Started by dsanchez, December 25, 2007, 07:35:57

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Just 52 minutes it turned 25th december here in Peru. Most people goes to their families and have turkey for dinner. In my house my mother uses to make a nice steak but this year she was lazy :) and so we just bought a good chicken already made ("pollo a la brasa", very popular in Peru). It was very good. We also eat hot chocolate and "panetonne", an italian sweet-bread which is highly popular in Peru (not that much in other southamerican countries, actually).

We had dinner at 23.00. At 23.59 from 24th december everyone goes to the street and start the fireworks. Here we do this both in christmas and new years night. Going to the street is also a nice ocassion for the christmas greet to the neighbors.

And the pets?. They really suffer with all the noise of the fireworks. My dog really got crazy.

So here's this nerd uploading a video in youtube in christmas night for you to enjoy! :smth001

Dog getting mad at christmas

I hope everyone had a nice time with their families :smth023

David.

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

scatcat

Christmas morning would always start off with the kids racing to the xmas tree, to see what Santa had left for us!
Then we would gorge ourselves on chocolates and lollies... then xmas lunch..
Traditionally, our family always had a roast lamb, with roasted vegies, ham, potatoe salad, cold chicken .. then for dessert xmas pudding with coins hidden inside... (but that kind of stopped, because it is summer here at xmas time, and gets too hot to cook.) 
Then after lunch comes the formal exchange of wrapped xmas gifts to one another. :smth020

Christmas nowadays, there is always a street party on the eve of xmas.. everyone is out in the neighbourhood checking out the lights, fireworks going off everywhere. It can get a bit absurd with all the decorations people go out of their way to impress others! I think it is pretty, but what a waste of electricity!!

The best bit is the neighbourhood getting together, and seeing the happiness on the kid's faces!! :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

iwannashagsimon

We usually have a ham or turkey dinner and open our gifts on Christmas Eve and spend Chrismas Day putting various items together.

This year was different.....We're not going to do anything on Christmas Day.  Instead Mum couldn't wait to open the gifts so we ended up opening them Sunday night.  Well, some of them.  All the other gifts we had already opened cos they were ordered online.  And when they arrived mum was all like "don't bother wrapping them, enjoy them now".  So for us Christmas has lasted the entire month (I do have one more gift coming, but that won't arrive til the 27th....)

Christmas Eve Day I made a ham for the family--just the 3 of us. (The rest of the family can be forgotten).  Nothing special--just a ham (with plenty of leftovers!), sweet potatoes and regular potatoes (Mum don't like the sweet ones).  So for me Chrismas was over before it happened.

Steve

In Hungary it's a bit different to the UK.
Typically, on the 24th, we have a family meal preceeded by halaszle (pronounced hollaazley) which is fish soup made with carp from the lake here.
Lots of paprika in that too (yummy).
After dinner everyone opens presents (still on 24th) & father xmas doen't bring them here. Little baby jesus does (apparently). This is something to do with the Hungarians poo-pooing all the saints some years ago & that combined with the christian hi-jacking of the mid winter, yule festival allows jesus to get his stamp on the occasion.
We do have name days here though & Miklos is on 6th Dec & we secretly put chocolate santas for people to find. Santa is call Mikulas here (a name derived from Miklos).
25th is more of the same really, visiting family & friends etc. & generally eating & drinking too much rich food & wine.
No xmas crackers here (except the ones I smuggled from the UK when I went to see BRMC)

New year's eve is the best time though. Can't wait for that one... :-D :-D
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

strange_day

Over here in the UK it mostly consists of flicking sprouts at disgruntled relatives who are completely trashed off 7 bottles of this......  :smth023

Quite nice, really!  :-D

Janko

IN SERBIA IT' TWO WEEKS LATER BECAUSE OF A DIFFERENT CALENDAR
BUT, BESIDES THAT, IT'S ALL THE SAME
PLENTY OF BINGE EATING
VISITING FRIENDS AND FAMILY

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

Cure Freak

nausearockpig

Most Aussies can attest to the fact that it's usually everyone over to one family member's house for food and drink. Barbeque, ham, turkey, seafood [bugs and prawns] and a tonne of booze.  Some people love xmas time, but from what I've heard most people feel obligated to turn up at family functions and don't really want to be there..

They usually have to be there and deal with annoying relatives or extended family members, all the while **** up the fake family feelings and giving and receiving gifts they don't like to people that they don't really like anyway...

Then they either watch a family member or two get drunk or do it themselves and either argue or embarrass themselves in some way, shape or form... and then regret it the next day.. LOL..

It's all a bit over the top really...

Hero

I suppose a "traditional" Christmas would involve buying lots of unwanted presents, crap weather, too much food, far too much wine, lots of family arguments, everyone sitting around watching the wizard of oz with fake smiles pretending to like each other. Thats just my take on it all here in the UK.
I do like christmas but not all the fuss and pretence.

silversand

Normally we are getting the presents on 24th December. But this year it was different, because my sister came with my two nephews not until 26th December.
So i went on that day to my parents and we got the presents on that day.

For lunch we had a duck with red cabbage and potato dumpling. And for dinner
we had a toast with ham, pineapple and cheese slices (toasting it).
And of course christmas biscuits.