Coronavirus: More than 80% of patients have mild disease and will recover

Started by dsanchez, February 23, 2020, 23:47:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

QuoteThe World Health Organization (WHO) is calling for stricter safety and hygiene standards when wet markets reopen.

And it says governments must rigorously enforce bans on the sale and trade of wildlife for food.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52369878
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

piggymirror

Death rate/million people in EU countries (+associates), US states (+ associates), and Canada
(according to Worldometers, as of Apr 22, 2020).
Note: these data are not complete (don't take into account deceases in elderly care homes in certain countries, the UK and the USA, for instance -others too-)

San Marino - 1,179
New York - 1,004
Belgium - 540
New Jersey - 535
Andorra - 479
Spain - 464
Italy - 415
Connecticut - 397
France - 319
Louisiana - 301
Massachusetts - 287
Michigan - 271
UK - 267
Netherlands - 237
Sweden - 192
Switzerland - 174
District of Columbia (Washington DC) - 164
Rhode Island - 162
Republic of Ireland - 148
Pennsylvania - 126
Luxembourg - 125
Illinois - 114
Maryland - 109

-------------------------------

Indiana - 95
Washington State (Seattle) - 93
Colorado - 88
Delaware - 86
Georgia (USA) - 79
Portugal - 77
Monaco - 76
Denmark - 66
Vermont - 64
Germany - 61
Mississippi - 61
Austria - 57
Nevada - 56
Canada - 50
Ohio - 48
Florida - 42
Wisconsin - 42
Oklahoma - 42
Virginia - 39
Kentucky - 39
Alabama - 38
Slovenia - 38
Kansas - 37
Missouri - 36
Norway - 34
California - 33
Estonia - 33
New Mexico - 31
New Hampshire - 31
Arizona - 30
Idaho - 30
Minnesota - 29
Iceland - 29
Finland - 27
South Carolina - 27
North Macedonia - 27
Maine - 27
Romania - 26
Iowa - 26
Liechtenstein - 26
North Carolina - 24
Tennessee - 24
Hungary - 23
Texas - 19
Czech Rep - 19
Oregon - 19
Puerto Rico - 19
Nebraska - 17
North Dakota - 17
Serbia - 15
Arkansas - 14
Lithuania - 14
West Virginia - 14
Greece - 12
Croatia - 12
Montana - 12
Alaska - 12
Poland - 11
Utah - 11
Cyprus - 11
Wyoming - 10
Albania - 9
South Dakota - 9
Hawaii - 8
Montenegro - 8
Bulgaria - 7
Malta - 7
Latvia - 6
Slovakia - 3
Ukraine - 4
Georgia (Europe) - 1
Guam - 0
US Virgin Islands - 0
US Samoa - 0
Northern Mariana Islands - 0
Vatican City - 0

word_on_a_wing

"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

SueC

A friend from the States was showing us this: :lol:

...and it does remind us that while we don't always get to choose our circumstances, we do get to choose our attitudes...
SueC is time travelling

SueC

Made by the Chinese government in response to all the American government bleating - and I can't even find anything they've exaggerated here!

SueC is time travelling

piggymirror

Food-for-thought interview. Puts things into perspective.

The Guardian (Apr 30, 2020)

QuoteBlack Death historian: 'A coronavirus depression could be the great leveller'

Walter Scheidel explains how the fallout from coronavirus could be the catalyst for a more equal world

[...] The Austrian economic historian Walter Scheidel argues that throughout history, from the stone age onwards, pandemic is one of the only four events capable of bringing about greater equality. War, state collapse and revolution are the other three.

In his book The Great Leveler he showed how the Black Death in the 1300s led to the wipeout of a third of Europe's population and massively reduced inequality by raising the price of labour. More recently, in the 20th century, two catastrophic world wars and the Communist revolution led to a long era of reduced inequality lasting until the early 1980s and giving rise to the modern welfare state, labour unions and progressive taxation. [...]

Ulrich

Quote from: undefined...pandemic is one of the only four events capable of bringing about greater equality. War, state collapse and revolution are the other three.

Yeah I tend to agree, especially for those who died. All of 'em equally dead.  :1f62a: :1f635:

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on May 02, 2020, 16:11:30
Quote from: undefined...pandemic is one of the only four events capable of bringing about greater equality. War, state collapse and revolution are the other three.

Yeah I tend to agree, especially for those who died. All of 'em equally dead.  :1f62a: :1f635:

Brett says that this is probably the most pragmatic statement he ever heard!  (And PS, he says always read the book first, before you watch a screen adaptation, so that your reading experience isn't contaminated with the somebody else's visualisations!)
SueC is time travelling

piggymirror

The Guardian (Apr 16, 2020)

QuoteCrawley likely to be worst affected by UK coronavirus job losses

More than 53,000 of 94,000 jobs in aviation-reliant Sussex town at risk, warns thinktank

BiscuityBoyle

This seems to me somewhat more tethered to reality than the "hopeful" Black Plague comparisons from a public intellectual with a book to promote.

Quote from: undefined"EXCEPTIONALLY DIRE": SECONDARY IMPACTS OF COVID-19 COULD INCREASE GLOBAL POVERTY AND HUNGER

BiscuityBoyle

That's more like it!

QuoteThe price of a bus, train or tube ticket during peak commuting hours could be raised to prevent crowding and the spread of coronavirus on public transport, according to a leading thinktank.

piggymirror

Un-locking.

Red means "hard" lockdown continues.
Orange and green means different degrees of easing.
I'll try and post more maps as soon as I find them.

-In France:

-In Spain:

Both countries use its own scale to de-escalate.

Pity that Brussels (I mean, the EU) has no competence on this, things would be easier to understand (I suppose?).
Particularly in cross-border urban areas such as the Basque Country, Geneva/Annemasse, Mulhouse/Basel/Freiburg, Lille/Tournai, Saarbrücken/Sarreguemines, Vienna/Bratislava, Strasbourg/Kehl, Görlitz/Zgorzelec, Gorizia/Nova Gorica, Nancy/Metz/Luxembourg/Trier, Tallinn/Helsinki, Frankfurt-Oder/Slubice, etc.

What do you do now, if you live in one country but work in another? Complicated.

The most ridiculous case must be that town that's splintered between Belgium and the Netherlands (I said "splintered", not just "split").
I think it is called Baarle-Nassau or something like that. It has a ridiculous border indeed.

Ulrich

https://medium.com/swlh/our-industry-isnt-coming-back-like-yours-is-4cbf261194e1
QuoteUnlike any natural disaster, this is the first time in my life I've witnessed something that everyone, regardless of location, has had to cope with at once. No person, industry or area of daily life has been left untouched by what's going on right now.

COVID has impacted every aspect of our lives: we can't go out with friends, grab dinner, or just swing by our favorite coffee shop. And while our social norms have been uniquely affected, it's our working lives that have seen the greatest disruption.
(...)
But some of us aren't that fortunate. Myself and my team at MEPTIK live in the world of live events and entertainment. Everything we do is based around locations, gatherings, events, and shows — and those have vanished.
(...)
But, you see, our normal isn't everyone else's normal. It won't return when cities begin to reopen. We can't just restart this beast of a process overnight. Most events you've been to — music festivals, concert tours, conferences — take anywhere from months to years to plan and coordinate.
(...)
We enjoy being behind-the-scenes, but now is not the time to remain in the shadows. Let your political leaders know that we're here, and we've been affected — via Twitter, Facebook, Insta, email, all of the above. Talk to your friends and your colleagues; don't live in this alone. You might be at home by yourself, but you're never alone.

SueC

SueC is time travelling

SueC

Another interesting article on the likelihood of a vaccine:

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2020/05/13/Vaccine-Not-Likely/

Seems that it's a similar story to antibiotics - by using these you automatically select for pathogens that are better at getting past them.

We can change the way we live, though; and if we're going to have a new normal, then let's have one that addresses and corrects the inherent injustices in the systems that were the pre-COVID-19 normal.
SueC is time travelling