Sleep when I'm dead

Started by revolt, July 04, 2008, 10:55:28

Previous topic - Next topic

firecrasher

Quote from: nausearockpig on July 23, 2008, 10:36:31
I have to disagree. I know I'll probably be crucified as a heretic or worse, get negative karma points, but have you heard The Lovecats? I can't begin to describe how ill that song makes me feel when I hear it and worse when people go "oh yeah The Cure, with that song Love Cats??" GGGGRRRRRRrrrrrrrr.........

Or "Friday I'm In Love"... :(
[i]so this is permanence... love's shattered pride...[/i]

revolt

Quote from: firecrasher on July 23, 2008, 13:46:36
I have to disagree. I know I'll probably be crucified as a heretic or worse, get negative karma points, but have you heard The Lovecats? I can't begin to describe how ill that song makes me feel when I hear it and worse when people go "oh yeah The Cure, with that song Love Cats??" GGGGRRRRRRrrrrrrrr.........

Or "Friday I'm In Love"... :(

Come on, those songs are great fun and catchy as hell. As far as silly pop songs go, it is hard to beat them, at least 'The Lovecats', which might just be the best song The Cure have ever done in this style.

I can imagine Cure fans who don't like their silly pop songs beying annoyed by those, it's only fair. But if you are the kind of fan that enjoys all Cure styles, I can't understand how you could possibly hate them...

Janko

Quote from: nausearockpigThe Lovecats? I can't begin to describe how ill that song makes me feel when I hear it and worse when people go "oh yeah The Cure, with that song Love Cats??" GGGGRRRRRRrrrrrrrr.........

The Lovecats saved The Cure. You have to admit at least that!

But it's a nice song, it takes some talent to make it work so good...

PS

As for SWID I have to say it IS better than Freakshow!

:smth023
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

nausearockpig

@ Firecrasher: Friday I'm In Love is, in my opinion an actual pop song. It's filled with great lyrics, melodies, guitar playing and nice bass. Completely different to The Lovecats.
@ Revolt: that's your opinion and that's fine. I won't be swayed, but I clearly leave you confused. I do like all styles, just not all songs...
@ Janko: yes I believe that it helped bring them back into popularity but then i reckon it's the old fans that kept them going thru that phase. The album following The Lovecats, The Top was for the most, an insane record which was not overall "marketable" or "popular". It took The Head On The Door to pull The Cure back to fame, fortune and the mainstream and "Save" them.

revolt

Quote from: nausearockpig on July 24, 2008, 01:02:38
@ Firecrasher: Friday I'm In Love is, in my opinion an actual pop song. It's filled with great lyrics, melodies, guitar playing and nice bass. Completely different to The Lovecats.
@ Revolt: that's your opinion and that's fine. I won't be swayed, but I clearly leave you confused. I do like all styles, just not all songs...

OK, that's fine. There must be something peculiar about 'The Lovecats' that annoys the hell of you, because the same kind of appraisal that you gave 'Friday' could very well be applied to the 1983 song: 'Lovecats' has creative lyrics, a very groovy and memorable acoustic bass line, nice rhythm guitar and so on...

firecrasher

Quote from: nausearockpig on July 24, 2008, 01:02:38

I don't hate the song, it's what made everyone at the Patriot Center finally get to their feet and start dancing! What I'm saying is that I don't consider it representative of the Cure's rather astonishing back catalog, and wish more people would take the time to listen to more than the hits. 
[i]so this is permanence... love's shattered pride...[/i]

~*CherryRed*~

All your comments on this single are interesting! I haven't got my copy as yet (it is in the mail) and I'm just busting to hear it... and I'm not going looking for it on the net either, as I want to hear it first from my own copy (CD & 7"!!)... I am so damned excited, at 35 odd years of age - I still get excited by The Cure. Gotta love those blokes!
"prone to flights of whimsy"

nausearockpig

@ Revolt. Well to me it's like this: Friday is a love song. It's a song with excellent guitar rhythm - playing it on the old six string is fun as. I love the different yet perfectly matched chord progressions of the different parts of the song. I love the sound of the guitar melody - if you listen to it really hard [try with good headphones], the melody "dances", for want of a better word, around the guitar chords and bass-lines.
The lyrics: I read somewhere once something like "the first time you hear the words, you want to pick up the phone and scream them down [the phone] to the one you love"... that's exactly what the lyrics encapsulate for me. They're so simple and perfect..

The Lovecats to me is a song that's not doesn't mean what a real song means. To me a song is meant to MEAN something. I'm not implying that every song The Cure does is meant to be heart or gut-wrenching but songs have a meaning or a feeling or sensation or a memory [like when you hear them they take you back to that girl or that time]. Or a reason even. To me The Lovecats is just an empty shell of a song. And it shits me when people relate my fave band to a song that is so meaningless to me..

revolt

Quote from: nausearockpig on July 29, 2008, 10:32:56
@ Revolt. Well to me it's like this: Friday is a love song. It's a song with excellent guitar rhythm - playing it on the old six string is fun as. I love the different yet perfectly matched chord progressions of the different parts of the song. I love the sound of the guitar melody - if you listen to it really hard [try with good headphones], the melody "dances", for want of a better word, around the guitar chords and bass-lines.
The lyrics: I read somewhere once something like "the first time you hear the words, you want to pick up the phone and scream them down [the phone] to the one you love"... that's exactly what the lyrics encapsulate for me. They're so simple and perfect..

The Lovecats to me is a song that's not doesn't mean what a real song means. To me a song is meant to MEAN something. I'm not implying that every song The Cure does is meant to be heart or gut-wrenching but songs have a meaning or a feeling or sensation or a memory [like when you hear them they take you back to that girl or that time]. Or a reason even. To me The Lovecats is just an empty shell of a song. And it shits me when people relate my fave band to a song that is so meaningless to me..

I think that's a good explanation. However I have some doubts as to whether 'Friday' is really a love song. Sure, it talks about "being in love", but the way it goes about it seems to indicate that it really is just some sort of whimsical child-play with words, sort of nursery-rhyme thing, not a song about the real feeling. In short, it's not a song with ANY REAL MEANING, just a pop song that happens to mention 'love' in its lyrics, like a million others.

The same could be said of 'Lovecats', sure, but because it takes that 'whimsical approach' even further, it makes it more fun, at least for me. Also, I think it sounds 'fresher' than 'Friday', and in the case of meaningless-catchy-pop-songs, which I think both of these are, that makes a difference, for the better...

patitodark

Compositions are OK but the drummer is the weak point in The Cure nowadays!
Boris drumming was powerful and had a real presence in Roberts compositions.
Even Robert (look in Wikipedia. Search for Just Like Heaven) says that Boris`drumming inspired him to give Just Like Heaven that tempo and inspired Robert to introduce each instrument singularly and in sequence.

Boris was a great inspiration in the band... Jason is just there playing the first thing that comes to his head. It´s sad but true!

scatcat

Quote from: patitodark on August 01, 2008, 20:04:06
Compositions are OK but the drummer is the weak point in The Cure nowadays!
Boris drumming was powerful and had a real presence in Roberts compositions.
Even Robert (look in Wikipedia. Search for Just Like Heaven) says that Boris`drumming inspired him to give Just Like Heaven that tempo and inspired Robert to introduce each instrument singularly and in sequence.

Boris was a great inspiration in the band... Jason is just there playing the first thing that comes to his head. It´s sad but true!

hmmmm  :shock:

I am in awe of any drummer.. Guitar is hard enuff to learn!

take it easy on  Boris.. just remember that Ringo was not the first choice for the Beatles ,.. ( I know.. this IS NOT A BEATLES FORUM.  :smth023  )

... I remember Boris performance in Melbourne... breathtaking! ( even though he was totally hidden  by the instruments!  )

:smth020
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

scatcat

Quote from: Janko on July 23, 2008, 18:48:50
Quote from: nausearockpigThe Lovecats? I can't begin to describe how ill that song makes me feel when I hear it and worse when people go "oh yeah The Cure, with that song Love Cats??" GGGGRRRRRRrrrrrrrr.........

The Lovecats saved The Cure. You have to admit at least that!

But it's a nice song, it takes some talent to make it work so good...

PS

As for SWID I have to say it IS better than Freakshow!

:smth023

oohh you guys... I love 'Lovecats' ... quirky, attention-grabbing, and just what we needed amongst the 'crap' aussie music at the time.... I love Robert's vocals on this song, and it has always been a favourite for me here..  ;)
yes... it never made sense to me in the 80's, and still makes me wonder now, but WOW..
it is not thier 'best' release, but we 'got' it here in OZ !

:smth020
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

silversand

I like The Lovecats a lot, because it's happy song :)
Like their pop song anyway. It's makes fun to listen to them :)

SWID is a wonderful song full stop :D

scatcat

hey there j ..    ;)   
.. you are not crucified for your opinion.. let that be known.  :smth023

each to his / her own !!     :D

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Poe

I must say Sleep When I'm Dead is my least favorite so far, not a chorus I can imagine myself singing along to at Cure shows. As far as Lovecats goes, Robert must really hate that song, the way he plays it live, ha! Well, it was basically made to ridicule the pop genre at the time, do something really shallow, and to show that The Cure didn't take themselves too seriously, but I like it. What's so funny about their "stupid pop songs" is that many people know and love The Cure thanks to them. Oh poor Robert, he must die a little inside every time people at Cure shows "respond" and sing along to the "stupid pop songs" and then stand around awkwardly listening to songs like Faith...  ;)
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]