2008.05.10 Philadelphia - Wachovia Spectrum (USA)

Started by dsanchez, June 22, 2007, 06:10:43

Previous topic - Next topic

j

Did you upgrade your tix or just don't feel like spending a Sunday night in South Philly?  What is the face value cost, total?  I may know someone that is intersted

sullen

Quote from: j on December 03, 2007, 18:53:54
Did you upgrade your tix or just don't feel like spending a Sunday night in South Philly?  What is the face value cost, total?  I may know someone that is intersted

ha

i ended up upgrading after the site crashed that morning the tix went on sale as the better seats got let out when it went back up.

one pair is like 15th or 16th row
then my upgrade is like 11 or 12 row

so im selling the further ones.

ill dig them out and let you know the exact row and exact cost of them.

rodney

Well, I've rebooked my flight to Philadelphia.  Let's hope that nobody flakes out this time!

j

The Spectrum may be no more in the near future.... (hopefully not before May 2008!)

Sports complex development proposal unveiled

By MARCUS HAYES
Philadelphia Daily News

hayesm@phillynews.com
Think Inner Harbor. Think Atlantic City.

All you can do is think, though, because nothing is definite, yet.

"Philly Live!" entertainment complex, to be located on the parking lot between the two South Philadelphia sports complex arenas, is in such an embryonic planning stage that nothing is definite: not the price tag, not the plans, not the construction time, not the fate of the 42-year-old Wachovia Spectrum, which might be demolished sooner or later to accommodate a hotel/condominium structure.

It will be funded totally privately, essentially a 50-50 partnership between Comcast-Spectacor, which owns the arenas, and a developer called the Cordish Co., said David S. Cordish, president of the development company.

Cordish indicated today that a budget for the project could be determined within 3 months and a date for groundbreaking could be decided within 1 year, though Comcast-Spectacor chairman Ed Snider said he hoped the partnership could have more definite plans finalized before the end of February. Cordish's current financial estimate for the project: "A lot."

News of the project recently leaked, so the businesses decided to hold a press conference at which pictures of what the 300,000 square foot plaza might look like and might contain - a health club, a movie theater, retail shops, bars, clubs and restaurants - "Rather than springing it on everybody, like we had something to hide," said Comcast-Spectacor president Peter Luukko.

The Cordish Co. developed and has an equity interest in "Power Plant Live!" in Baltimore, a $35 million gems of the Inner Harbor. It also developed "The Walk" shops in Atlantic City, a $110 million project, as well as that city's outlet store complex.

Cordish yesterday called the sports complex the best opportunity he has ever seen for this sort of development.

Joe

Anyone have any info on how spectrum holds up as a venue? I've only been to the Tower Theater, Wachovia Center, and Tweeter Center for shows.

j

Quote from: Joe on January 31, 2008, 23:12:34
Anyone have any info on how spectrum holds up as a venue? I've only been to the Tower Theater, Wachovia Center, and Tweeter Center for shows.

Regarding what?  Sound?  It is your typical 15-18K seat venue.  If you've been to a show at the Wachovia Center, it is much the same, but more intimate, if that makes sense.  The Wacovia Center is like a cavern....open and vast.  the spectrum is a little bit smaller, and more closed.  The seats are literally on top of each other.  I am 5'10" and when I sit in the seats, my knees just touch the back of the seat in front of me.

Between the 2, the spectrum has better sound quality, in my opinion.  Hope this helps.  I can't tell you how many shows I've seen at the Spectrum.  Pantera, Sepultura, Prong, Black Sabbath, Cure, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Alice In Chains, Megadeth, Erasure, U2....the list goes on and on.  Bands I have seen at the Wachovia Center:  None!

Joe

That's pretty much what I was looking for, how it held up soundwise. Thanks for the info!

rodney

Have we heard any new info regarding layout and seating for this show?  No offense to the band, but I really hope it's a half-house deal.  I don't know that they're popular enough to sell well in an 18,000 person venue in the US.

rodney

Hotel has been booked.  We'll be at the Extended Stay near the airport.  $56 a night through Hotwire.

cure_kitty

Hey Philly Fans!

It's been forever since last posted on here but I thought I'd let you all know about a contest Radio 104.5 is having.

"From the Radio 104.5 Web Site"
The Cure is coming to The Spectrum May 10. Want tickets? Front Row? Want to meet the band? This is your chance to not only meet this legendary band but also get front row seats!"

Just click on the link below to create an account and then register for the contest. You can submit one entry per user account per day up until April 27th. Good Luck Philly Fans!!!!  :smth020

http://www.radio1045.com/cc-common/globalcontestfinder.html?contest=21008

sullen

I still have an extra pair of tickets to sell, theyre 16th row floor on simons side.
Make me an offer, I need to get rid of these!

rodney

Is there a subway to downtown from the airport area?  I'd like to see some sites while I'm in town.

budvarka

Quote from: sullen on April 26, 2008, 04:40:46
I still have an extra pair of tickets to sell, theyre 16th row floor on simons side.
Make me an offer, I need to get rid of these!

excuse my ignorance but there are really seating tickets for the floor? no chance to dance at all?
Prague - 3.8. 1990
Brno - 23.8. 1998
Prague - 12.4. 2000
Prague - 21.2. 2008

cure_kitty

Quote from: rodney on May 01, 2008, 03:13:16
Is there a subway to downtown from the airport area?  I'd like to see some sites while I'm in town.

Hi Rodney,
There is the SEPTA R1 Airport Line that will take you from the airport to Center City Phila.  Here's a link below for more info.  Hope it helps & have a fun time in Philly!

http://www.septa.com/service/rr_schedules.html

rodney

Thanks!  I found that site last night.  Looks like we can take the bus down from the hotel to the historic district.  I think we'll be better off taking a cab to the show though.  If we take the bus, we'll still have to walk like 20 minutes or something.