Weirdest song

Started by dsanchez, April 19, 2018, 15:15:42

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Which one is The Cure's weirdest song and why? Please justify your choice :)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

johndracul

Forever is one of them. Many different versions and many different lyrics. Besides, it's the only title that features twice on Deluxes so far: Faith and The Top.

chemicaloverload

Pirate Ships on the deluxe Disintegration album. I love it, but its an anomaly.
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

PearlThompsonsBloodflower

Just Say Yes, Foxy Lady (Cover), Lullaby. 

Ulrich

Tough question! The Cure have so many "weird" songs, starting with "Meathook" and not ending with "Stop Dead"...  :roll:

At the moment I'd choose "Like Cockatoos". What does it mean? And what's the weird sound at the beginning and at the end? Cockatoos?

QuoteShe walked out of her house
And looked around
At all the gardens that looked
Back at her house
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

A Strange Girl

To me it's Gone!, there are so many weird things about this song, not to mention the music video  :roll:
...I think you come from another world...

MeltingMan

For me it's New Day. I remember that I played that song very often and loud (as a teenager)
and my parents didn't complain a single time, surprisingly. This song is so scary...but musically
perfect.  :smth023
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

tzare

A mall inside my mouth. The lyricss are hilarious and that weird sound pretending like nausea or vomiting is great :)

Also bananafishbones is great, it looks like a mess of a song, almost impossible to find a tune and rythm, without sense, but it is almost a perfect imperfection

Fabien G

I'm really surprised by almost all your answers...

Indeed some songs could be described as weird in a way because it's quite unusual for the band to play something of a particular style like jazz, but they are still quite a normal overall with usual things from 'normal' songs, like intro/verse/chorus...
like meathook - strange lyrics but a pop tune.

To me there are weird songs but their style go with song.
subway song - the claustrophobic feeling of the underground

Then there are weird song i don't get the point, but the song still have some things from usual structure (intro verse/chorus/bridge...)
so what - reading the advert on a sugar pack, ok, i kinda get the punk idea behind it, but that voice?

There are thus many weird songs, especially on TIB because they are trying things out, looking for a style, from punk.

Then there are weird songs but i understand they're trying something, call that a 'concept' if you wish
three - robotic with a far cry
wailing wall - The top was among the firsts record i ever heard, and hearing the whales cry, it was surprising for a young kid expecting pop-rock tune. I've heard it so many times i really like it now, but then...
a hand inside my mouth, sadacic, throw your foot, stop dead, mansolidgone, the exploding boy, new day - i think from that 84-85 era are their weirdest b-sides and demos, strange rhythm and style and voice...

There's
the final sound - slightly random notes out of tunes... strangely fits in the album though!

Finally there are two songs, these i really don't get
splintered in hear head - cold tribal rythm with harmonica sound and strange effect on voice
airlock - attempts at contemporary muzak like Pierre Boulez?

I may have forgotten some.

helloimageifonly

Quote from: Fabien G on June 03, 2018, 06:20:05

I found a great clip on YouTube the other day to go with this song. Be prepared ;)
https://youtu.be/upeuLojOCbA

splintered in hear head - cold tribal rythm with harmonica sound and strange effect on voice

This song is haunting just like Subway Song imo, but I'm really into this spooky vibe.
In the same atmosphere there is the beautifully haunting 'All Mine' wich is to me weird lyricwise.. I am still trying to figure out what it is about. Death yes, but the story...?
Any thoughts?
https://youtu.be/_yDH9Oj4Rnk

chemicaloverload

I'm really surprised by almost all your answers...

Indeed some songs could be described as weird in a way because it's quite unusual for the band to play something of a particular style like jazz, but they are still quite a normal overall with usual things from 'normal' songs, like intro/verse/chorus...
like meathook - strange lyrics but a pop tune.

To me there are weird songs but their style go with song.

Then there are weird song i don't get the point, but the song still have some things from usual structure (intro verse/chorus/bridge...)
so what - reading the advert on a sugar pack, ok, i kinda get the punk idea behind it, but that voice?

There are thus many weird songs, especially on TIB because they are trying things out, looking for a style, from punk.

Then there are weird songs but i understand they're trying something, call that a 'concept' if you wish
three - robotic with a far cry
wailing wall - The top was among the firsts record i ever heard, and hearing the whales cry, it was surprising for a young kid expecting pop-rock tune. I've heard it so many times i really like it now, but then...
a hand inside my mouth, sadacic, throw your foot, stop dead, mansolidgone, the exploding boy, new day - i think from that 84-85 era are their weirdest b-sides and demos, strange rhythm and style and voice...

There's
the final sound - slightly random notes out of tunes... strangely fits in the album though!

Finally there are two songs, these i really don't get
airlock - attempts at contemporary muzak like Pierre Boulez?

I may have forgotten some.

There are two glaring elements missing from your analysis...the effects of drugs and alcohol.

But it's interesting to see your views and how they may differ from others completely, the one thing I truely love about this site and The Cure as musicians :)

Could write a dissertation on their music!

Fabien G

You mean encyclopedia? ^^
That is why i try to spend less time on he forums! I have to have a life other than The Cure! ^^

chemicaloverload

Quote from: Fabien G on June 08, 2018, 16:25:03
You mean encyclopedia? ^^
That is why i try to spend less time on he forums! I have to have a life other than The Cure! ^^

No, I said dissertation and meant dissertation.

Ulrich

Quote from: chemicaloverload on June 11, 2018, 21:46:11
No, I said dissertation and meant dissertation.

For better understanding (Fabien is from France, I think), here is a definition of "dissertation":
"a long piece of writing on a particular subject, especially one that is done in order to receive a degree at college or university"
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Fabien G

Yeah, thanks Ulrich :)  in France a dissertation is much shorter, only a few pages long.
Still, every album could have a 1000 pages dissertation written about them, so in the end it's 20 volumes, hence the encyclopedia...
Will, that was just a joke and it fell flat, never mind ^^