Jason Cooper - A study of his style

Started by DrumStudy, August 08, 2008, 05:16:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is your favourite The Cure drummer?

~*CherryRed*~

Oh God, I've never really sat down and picked apart the finer details of how these guys play the music... I guess that may be due to the fact that I'm not musical enough? Or I just don't care enough more likely! :roll:
"prone to flights of whimsy"

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: revolt on September 01, 2008, 13:04:30
Quote from: japanesebaby on August 15, 2008, 08:13:52
i mean, i really cannot see anything bad in people fantasizing "if i could have my say about the line-up" -

Good idea.

Now, let's see...

Let's have Budgie replace Jason.

And Severin replace Simon.

Call John Carruthers for the place of Porl.

And, let's see... Siouxsie instead of Rob.... No, wait.  :-D

Hahahahahahahahaha.... laugh! Did I laugh! I laughed!
"prone to flights of whimsy"

patitodark

Quote from: revolt on September 01, 2008, 13:04:30
Quote from: japanesebaby on August 15, 2008, 08:13:52
i mean, i really cannot see anything bad in people fantasizing "if i could have my say about the line-up" -

Good idea.

Now, let's see...

Let's have Budgie replace Jason.

And Severin replace Simon.

Call John Carruthers for the place of Porl.

And, let's see... Siouxsie instead of Rob.... No, wait.  :-D

If Boris is not available then I´d suggest Mark Price, who is the guy that played the drums in Mint Car, Trap and Treasure in Wild Mood Swings.

Compare the drum/percussion sounds & volume of the songs recorded by Jason vs. the songs recorded by the other drummers. Jason is not using drumsticks but those called "Hot Rods" that minimize the volume, except probably for Strange Attraction which I believe was made using a drum machine and Want, where the toms are barely heard anyway.

I remember the first time I finished listening to the whole WMS album, I liked Jupiter Crash (it has that Cure style, sound & lyrics we all love, and the drums have a defined pattern. Demoed by Boris?), then Trap because it had a shiny sound  and the drums were really present and pushing the groove of the song. It was clear for me that something was missing...  but what really annoyed me was the sound of the mix. I felt it strange. Kind of "cheap" compared to previous albums.

Anyway, there is some info about Mark Price in Wikipedia: He born in 1959, same as Robert!, he is not only a drummer but also a percussionist (like Boris!).

Watch Mark here with All About Eve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-wErcRYpVY
and watch Boris with Thompson Twins here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzStNNN4Ln8  :smth023

P.S. Who else thinks that Uyea Sound turned into Underneath the Stars?...

Any resemblance with the drumming in Uyea and what Jason plays in UTS is pure coincidence  ;)

revolt

Quote from: patitodark on September 06, 2008, 09:42:40

Any resemblance with the drumming in Uyea and what Jason plays in UTS is pure coincidence  ;)

More people, as you can read here:

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,5413.0.html

Anyway, I wasn't the first to notice that, since I didn´t even know 'Uyea Sound' until very recently, but the "resemblance" is really there...  (that is, if you can call it simply that, since the songs are, too my ears, clearly one and the same).

patitodark

Quote from: revolt on September 08, 2008, 12:11:16
Quote from: patitodark on September 06, 2008, 09:42:40

More people, as you can read here:

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,5413.0.html

Anyway, I wasn't the first to notice that, since I didn´t even know 'Uyea Sound' until very recently, but the "resemblance" is really there...  (that is, if you can call it simply that, since the songs are, too my ears, clearly one and the same).

Hey! Thanks for the info. So I wasn´t that wrong to think it then...
So, it´s clear Bob wanted to bring the old Cure back... but without the protagonism of the drums. Interesting.

Splintered in his head

My personal favourite drummer clearly is Andy Anderson. Just listen to some of the 84 concerts, especially the official recording "Concert".
I`m surprised he doesn´t get a mention here. Maybe it´s because he was a short time member in the band.

Whiskers

Andy was my 2nd favorite drummer of The Cure. Of course Boris is going to be the favorite, but Andy made his drums roar. It's a shame that he wasn't with the band longer than he was.

dsanchez

Quote from: DrumStudy on August 08, 2008, 05:16:32
BTW, the music and the "study" begins at 00:23 but read/watch it all!

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE VIDEO. THANKS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LuXyX-KtVU
just noticed The Cure themselves asked YouTube to take down this video :P
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Quote from: dsanchez on October 15, 2011, 11:38:43
Quote from: DrumStudy on August 08, 2008, 05:16:32
BTW, the music and the "study" begins at 00:23 but read/watch it all!

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE VIDEO. THANKS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LuXyX-KtVU
just noticed The Cure themselves asked YouTube to take down this video :P
That's such crap... I don't remember all the details, but I'm pretty sure there was nothing in the video that violated Fair Use.

However, if Robert or Jason really did see it...

:lol:

patitodark

Hey I have just noticed that all the videos dedicated to Jason (his errors and bad sound) were deleted. Sure Robert and Co. watched the videos and asked YouTube to take them down.

http://i.imgur.com/BaQWm.jpg

But the one about Boris is still alive...  :evil:

Edit: There are some of those videos in Metacafe  :twisted:

Jason Cooper Can't Stop Playing the Cymbals - Video

CHANNEL: http://www.metacafe.com/channels/Cure4AllandMe/

ruthydurantula

Well, I really love the cure!that's it!

dsanchez

Quote from: dsanchez on August 09, 2008, 19:14:43
Also, have anyone noticed the beginning of "Boys don't cry"? If you let the drums alone, I wouldn't know that the 2008 version of Boys don't cry is indeed Boys don't cry (see attached for a comparison between the 1992 version and the strange 2008 version)

I wrote this about 4 years ago. Since 2002, I have seen The Cure 7 times. One show in 2002, two shows in 2008, one show in 2011, and three this year, 2012. I really didn't like how Jason sounded during the 4Tour (way too much cymbals and unnecessary additions IMO). But this has nothing to do with how he sounded (and played) on the shows I saw in 2011 and later. If you go to any of the upcoming festivals this year, then you will notice a huge difference. Almost flawless (and BDC sounds as usual ;)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

patitodark

I'm glad to notice that Jason's drum sound has improved. He is using bigger drums now and has moved from DW to Natal drums.

Shake dog is now played with both hands on the hi-hats and a slower tempo, just like in Andy or Boris times. Doing the unstuck is faster and sounds good thanks to Reeves too. The backing tape is at a lower volume and doesn't bother as much as before.

I was surprised to hear that Jason was playing Push with many of the fills played by Boris in studio but sadly it was only in the first two shows because I in the last shows he returned to play as usual repeating his same old fills again and again and again  :roll:

Anyway, he is not bashing cymbals and his sound has improved. I'm not hating the drums that much this time and that makes me feel good  :twisted:

----

Quote from: dsanchez on July 24, 2012, 09:35:33
Quote from: dsanchez on August 09, 2008, 19:14:43
Also, have anyone noticed the beginning of "Boys don't cry"? If you let the drums alone, I wouldn't know that the 2008 version of Boys don't cry is indeed Boys don't cry (see attached for a comparison between the 1992 version and the strange 2008 version)

I wrote this about 4 years ago. Since 2002, I have seen The Cure 7 times. One show in 2002, two shows in 2008, one show in 2011, and three this year, 2012. I really didn't like how Jason sounded during the 4Tour (way too much cymbals and unnecessary additions IMO). But this has nothing to do with how he sounded (and played) on the shows I saw in 2011 and later. If you go to any of the upcoming festivals this year, then you will notice a huge difference. Almost flawless (and BDC sounds as usual ;)

dmscheuer

I agree 100% that Boris is/was much better than J@ason, and that the 'sound' of the kit is getting better. I hate the added cymbal/hi hats where there ought not to be any, however the reason is because Robert for some reason decided to play with backing tracks lately. J@son has to play along with a click track and cue the rest of the band during what should be drum-free parts of songs so that they don't lose their place and have whatever they are using as backing tracks fall out of time.

Along with this, playing with backing tracks restricts any sort of improvisation/jamming that we used to see ( read 1992 "A Forest", etc.) because of the same reason....

On another note, watching today's FB link from The Cure to their VIEILLES CHARRUES FESTIVAL video - notice J@son on FTEOTDGS. For all of the people who claim J@son isn't guilty of playing the same fill over and over again, this is all the proof against your argument anyone needs. And just 2 crashes and along with the china cymbal?

patitodark

I watched the video early today and I noticed that there were lots of shots for Jason.
It seems that Robert was in a good mood and smiling at him. That made Jason happy and began to play that hip-hop beat that we all hate in the snare drum.

Visit: http://liveweb.arte.tv/fr/video/The_Cure_Vieilles_Charrues/

Listen in:
00:22 the drum fill intro (that includes the snare drum and the original doesn't) that makes Bob smile at Jason.
00:40 / 00:54 the hi-hop snare drum beat with a horrible (ab)use of the china cymbal
02:28 the same drum fill as in 00:22 that makes Bob and Simon smile...
02:40 / 02:53 the hip-hop beat with (ab) use of the china cymbal
03:04 drum fill he will repeat in other songs... (like IBD)
03:17 again the same fill
03:25 same fill
03:30 same fill
03:43 same fill
03:50 same fill
03:57 same fill
05:01 THE SAME FILL IN INBETWEEN DAYS!
05:33 same fill...
05:54 / 06:47/ 07:06 / 07:20 same fill!!!!!!!!!!
07:57 THE SAME DRUM FILL IN JUST LIKE HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!! 
09:53 missed the two hits in the china cymbal
10:48 same fill
12:31 this fill using the toms and cymbals is his 'new' drumfill and uses it in songs like Shake dog Shake, Want and others too.

dmscheuer is right: the SAME drumfills are repeated again and again during FTEOTDGS! and is disgusting!

Jason has changed the drum pattern of The Hungry Ghost and has added A LOT of hits in the snare drum. Almost the same hip-hop drum pattern at 00:40 & 02:40. Why does he like to play that busy? doesn't he notice that it makes the song sound bad?

25:02 the hip-hop things begins...
OK, it's his song but why repeat the same pattern again and again and again????
It's obvious that the guy has no more resources and with The Cure has played all that he can.