Live Recording equipment

Started by Joelad3, September 28, 2005, 15:27:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Joelad3

The recording phase
To share good quality recordings, we may all beneficiate from the most experienced on this forum. I'd like to get some equipment and try to record a few concerts but I realize that I just don't know what would be the best option. Any ideas to avoid spending hours just to get a loosy half-star recording ?  
Hum...
The aftermath
Some like it original. I admit that I'm not affraid to brush up live performances when the sound is a bit weird. But I didn't find yet a program that gives me 100% satisfaction. Some mentioned an Adobe program, etc... Any recommendations ?

"Take another face
You will be kissed again..."
Joelad

lostflower4

If you're talking about recording a concert, one of the best inexpensively recorded concerts I know of was the Lokeren 2005 show that is commonly circulating (Dimeadozen FLAC version).

It was recorded with a Sony MZ-RH10 minidisc player and a Sony ECM-719 microphone. You can read more about the mic here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000095SB2/qid=1127923773/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-5624226-7141505?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

I was surprised that this relatively inexpensive setup yielded such good results. I love how small that thing is. I admit I wouldn't feel too comfortable bringing a huge microphone to a concert. :smt105

Of course a DAT recorder is the ideal way to go as there is no compression, but under the right circumstances the above setup is a lot better than some alternatives.

For after the fact, I love Adobe Audition. Sometimes I can make a bad sounding recording sound pretty damn good with just a few alterations. I can't say enough about this program. It can do just about anything! 8)

Joelad3

Adobe Audition is the program I heard about. I have a few good concerts from the Cure that I've downloaded here and there but some of them have a very poor sound... it's hard to really enjoy it. I guess I won't turn t into a soundboard session but at least in something better. Let's try.
For the recording equipment, I read a few lines about the minidisc and it's limitations (in the same forum, I believe). Yet I listened again to Lokeren and it's not bad for being recorded with such a small equipment.

Thanks Caley
Cheers
Joelad
Joelad