Twilight Series (books and film/s)

Started by ~*CherryRed*~, May 08, 2009, 10:26:01

Previous topic - Next topic

alwaysprayingforRAIN

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on June 17, 2009, 02:29:03
Ha, I just had a look at the link provided by derektrainwreck... hmm, he is well developed! And so the daydreaming continues!!! :-D

haha i think he looks kind of cold or something...  :lol:
when does the second twilight movie come out in your country ? i have to wait till january  :?
Say hello on a day like today
Say it every time you move
The way that you look at me now
Makes me wish i was you

~*CherryRed*~

19th November... am planning a girls night out for it!  :-D
"prone to flights of whimsy"

KingOfSomeIsland

Absolutely terrible book and an even worse movie. And I actually read the whole f*cking thing and oh my god. Its no different than those god damn drugstore romance novels with a Fabio-esque man on the cover embracing a Mary-Sue idealization of the author. Only tweaked perfectly so that teenage girls would LOVE it. Its kind of brilliant actually when you look at it in terms of pure business.

The movie was even worse, it was boring, badly acted, and just f*cking bland. It exists as a grey blob of a movie that trickles down onto your forehead at a glacial pace. I mean maybe if they made all four books into one movie THEN you might have something watchable but as it is its just catering to no one but the people who read the books and loved the books.
And its not like I have anything against romance or "chick flicks", Hell I even liked Titanic and The Notebook and I couldn't stand this drivel.

EDIT: My god, I'm rather inflammatory today. Honestly I don't really even care about its massive fanbase. If they like it thats cool. I just think its perfectly shitty on its own merit.

japanesebaby

i was wondering if i'm the only one who sees the movie (haven't read the book) as a sort of  a macabre comedy, not only as a silly romance flick? at the same time i know it's possible to watch it simply as an overly romantic old-fashioned romeo and julia story (and probably most people see it that way and want to see it that way).
i wasn't actually expecting anything else that a hollow romance flick myself either (which i just can't stand): and i do confess that the only reason i finally decided to watch it was because i thought i needed to see it so i could slag it off as something silly (just like harry potters: something wayyy over hyped, empty and totally unoriginal - just dreadful). and yet, 20 minutes into the movie here and i was thinking "wt..?" because against all odds i found myself quite thrilled and thoroughly entertained by that macabre feeling it created. for instance, carlisle's profession: he's a doctor. i was laughing when he entered the scene. sure, there are some awkward lines in the script too but mostly it manages to turn those into its profit (thanks to the director). the casting is pretty good throughout, especially many the supporting parts. and i'm glad they got an english actor in the lead.
the soundtrack too by the way (i like the baseball scene with 'supermassive black hole' playing in the background).

i read someone somewhere saying how the movie was an absolute bore because "nothing happens during the first hour" and how there's only very little action towards the end. imo the only part of the movie that doesn't work is that action stuff - that's when it does become dull. it's an action sequence which seems to be there for conventional purposes only, it's something that has to be there in order it to sell. oh well.
but even then the movie somewhat manages to pick up  after that in the very end, so ultimately it's more or less saved.
i really appreciate the director, i think she's done a good job there by managing to include a hint of some sort of dark comedy all through.

i also read someone in amazon.com reviews complaining how the movie is totally stupid, asking "what does it teach anyone of relationship?". well if one really does need to find such moral on every story out there, i think it actually teaches a lot by showing how impossible relationships are and how things will always most likely end up in complete ruin anyway (can you see how i really hate happy endings? ;)).

i haven't read the books, not sure if i even will. i fear the story will probably end up happily despite everything & blah blah blah and i know that to me that would be a total anticlimax. 
i'm not at all sure if i want to see any of the movie sequels either. they changed the director so i'm not sure it'll work anymore. perhaps the story is just silly from there on anyway. at least the trailer for 'new moon' looks totally ridiculous, it looks like "hunks - the movie" or something.  :oops: hey thanks but no thanks.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

alwaysprayingforRAIN

i haven't seen the second movie either, because i absolutely hated the trailer and it seems to have even more 'unplanned comedy' in it than the first one...
i couldn't help but laugh in some scenes e.g. the tree climbing or when he's trying to stop himself from **** bella dry..
i have to agree though that the cast and the soundtrack is pretty good and they could have done a worse job on it.

if you ever feel like reading: enjoy the first one and leave out the rest!! the third one is ok. but you'd have to read the fourth as well and that one is just dreadful and unoriginal. like she ran out of ideas and was looking for the weirdest way to finish the story...
Say hello on a day like today
Say it every time you move
The way that you look at me now
Makes me wish i was you

japanesebaby

Quote from: alwaysprayingforRAIN on December 31, 2009, 12:28:57
i haven't seen the second movie either, because i absolutely hated the trailer and it seems to have even more 'unplanned comedy' in it than the first one..
i couldn't help but laugh in some scenes e.g. the tree climbing or when he's trying to stop himself from **** bella dry..
i have to agree though that the cast and the soundtrack is pretty good and they could have done a worse job on it.

ok well, i was too curious and went to see the second film. it was not early quite as bad as i feared, but it lacks most of the small things that made the first movie interesting. where's all the weird  humor, all those details and "on the verge of hilarious" things that made the first movie so entertaining? i mean, the first movie is full of all those memorable little scenes like carlisle's entrance - which i actually think is one of the best movie character entrances ever  :smth023; or, all those weird faces and odd looks that pattinson makes throughout the film - they're totally missing from the second movie. which is a shame, because good actors just get wasted there. what i really liked about the first film was all that odd macabre weirdness, all those little things, all the professionalism in them.
i think 'the unplanned comedy' i the first film was mostly great, the cast made it work which i really liked(!). but whenever the second film steps on that realm it simply becomes bad kind of 'uplanned comedy'. the director couldn't handle it - what a shame they changed director! i feel they took the second one just way too seriously, like as if the director just told everyone to act as little as possible and forget who the characters were supposed to be - wt..?
the visual look of the volturi fight scene at the end of the second film was good, although short. but it was one of the few moments in the second film where i felt like they invented something.

i still think the first movie deserves credit. sure, there were scenes which made me want to laugh (and sometimes did), but in a weird way there was something there that made it work at the same time. like at the baseball scene, facing the "nomads": they look like some damn power rangers which should look simply totally stupid. but it didn't, somehow it worked. i liked all that!

special effects: i heard that with 'twilight' they were actually thinking they were just making a sort of low budget cult film there, not a blockbuster hit. true? not sure. anyway, i'm not bothered by the effects in the first film. the wolf tranformations effect of the second film were the ones that made me laugh (that embarrassed laughter). i think  the effects in the first movie worked because they didn't take the focus out of the characters and the story. the wolf-stuff is doing that, making the effects too important. to me that's where it starts getting a bit boring.

Quote from: alwaysprayingforRAIN on December 31, 2009, 12:28:57
if you ever feel like reading: enjoy the first one and leave out the rest!! the third one is ok. but you'd have to read the fourth as well and that one is just dreadful and unoriginal. like she ran out of ideas and was looking for the weirdest way to finish the story...

i've been bored on the holidays so i read the first book. i thik meyers really can't write much, it's mostly pretty amateurish from the literary point of view. but she was good in creating the characters and the setting for the story - she had a good idea for a story and that makes it kind of bearable reading once.

imo the first movie/book is a good example of a situation where the movie is actually a lot better than the book. it's more dimensional and has more depth than the book which is actually a bit repetitive.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine